Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,872 total conversations in 4,540 threads

+ New Thread

Zelda's "In Response To X"

Last posted Jun 22, 2012 at 09:26PM EDT. Added Jun 20, 2012 at 12:56AM EDT
16 posts from 4 users

No idea if there's already a topic on this or not, but I've been seeing variants of this image float around.

I don't lurk in Reddit or 4chan and I only follow a few "Ask X" Tumblr blogs, so I've got no idea how much it's circulating. However, I have seen a couple variants so far, including "In Response To Being Fed a Taco" on a popular Facebook page and "In Response To Being Asked For Anal" on a R34 site while I was fapping. (Shut up.)
Again, no idea how much it's going around, if any at all. Just getting this post out here in case it's actually doing something.

I've saved a ton of these from various websites that I visit with plans on making an entry for it, which I planned to do this weekend.

If you'd like to start one up though and try to find the origin and stuff, you certainly can, though.

From what I know, I believe it became popular on 4chan and has been mildly picked up by a couple other websites.

There even is a MLP one that /mlp/ started and showed up on /r/clopclop, from the looks of it.

The MLP one is pretty standard. The characters are either the ponies from the show or other characters answering different questions. The only thing they have in common is that the last panel is always Rarity answering with "Bend Over". It even spawned a small fad with fanart (mainly photoshops) of Rarity telling others to bend over. See it as a MLP version of "Prepare your anus".

I would make a h4. header for it reading "MLP Derivative" or something similar. As it is still notable.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 09:09AM EDT

I'd make it, but again, I don't lurk anywhere, so I know nothing about it.
I've also never written an entry before, so I don't know where/how to research things.
If you wanna make the entry, be my guest.

It seems that those kind of fads of fill-in-the-blank style illustration templates are derivatives of the oldest pixiv fad "Expressions Practice". This have been imported to deviantART and other Westerners web.

If there are many illustration fads similar to this type on Westerners Web, I should add those information to that article.

mona_jpn wrote:

It seems that those kind of fads of fill-in-the-blank style illustration templates are derivatives of the oldest pixiv fad "Expressions Practice". This have been imported to deviantART and other Westerners web.

If there are many illustration fads similar to this type on Westerners Web, I should add those information to that article.

The original frames of this were in Japanese before being translated to English and parodied on 4chan.

So it very well could have originated there.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 01:24PM EDT

@Chris
Thanks. Here is the template image for this fad on pixiv. It was uploaded on January 4th, 2010.

And there are 157 image responses reusing this template on there.

I don't think this fad on pixiv deserves to have its own entry because the amount of those illustrations is not so many. But if it spread to Westerner's web by another style and it seems enough to make an entry, this "origin" information should be added.

mona_jpn wrote:

They do differ, but share a lot in common as well. With these Zelda images, they are presented a question or situation and how they would respond to it. The expression practice images just show a variety of expressions.

But yes, the similarities are big enough to deserve a mention. I'd go with a precursor header in the origin section.

Back to the expression practice images, they have been used in the west as well. Even on official cartoons and comic book characters like Donald Duck. They are limited, but have spread to the western web nonetheless.

The top one is an official one originating from 1995 according to the poster on DeviantArt. Link

The second one is fan-made and was posted in 2007. Link

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 07:37PM EDT

@RandomMan

Yeah, even in Japan, every anime products has character model sheets including essential expressions. many of them are published on the web or have released as books since many decades, and it has probably inspired amature illustrators joining onto those kind of illustration fads.

And as that image suggests, depicting characters facial expressions in various situations is a standard exercise for comic artists/mangaka. One of the reasons why those kind of illustration fads are received favourably is those fill-in-blank style templates are a sort of challenging training, and it gives them motivation enjoyably. I guess so.

Back to "In Response to X", what is the trigger illust of spread on the Westerners Web? Zelda's one? or any earlier work?

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 09:00AM EDT

From all I've seen, it began to spread on 4chan after having been parodied on there.

People really began to have fun with joking about the personalities of the different Zeldas, especially Twilight Princess Zelda, who is often portrayed as abrupt and demeaning in her responses to different situations.

The first derivative that got it started, I believe, is this one. It, though crude, helped set the personality of each, and especially that of TP Zelda. You see each of them follow those basic personalities, being overenthusiastic, being tsundere, following these two.

@Chris

Yeah, now I can understand very well:)

So, the main subject for 4chan users parody was that Zelda's illustration, not the style of 6 panel chart. Then, MLP's parody collage type was derived from this.

I don't know if Bend Over or something like this "In Response to X" type deserve to have an entry.

Please call me If something in them can survive mods baptism. I'll work for additional information.

>Question is related to being cummed inside.
>Suddenly Mona gets it.

Do ho ho.

*Ahum, back to business.

The Bend Over page you linked was related to that MLP derivative. But not just the table, the usage of it in general in the MLP fandom. For some reason people suddenly mixed the phrase "Bend Over" with Rarity. The table was just part of the spread. But as the phrase was already used long before MLP, I changed the entry so it was related to the phrase. If it's MLP usage suddenly sees a notable rise, I'll change it back. So currently that entry is full on doubt. But seeing how it's usage in MLP is already dropping fast, it was most likely just (yet another) a fad.

But I'd give the MLP variation a notable derivative section in the page for these Zelda tables. It did see a notable peak, but nothing to call it meme material on its own.

The phrase Bend Over stems from a Zelda one talking about Anal Sex, which was then translated to the MLP one in the entry, which is where the phrase comes from.

It's a sub-meme, if anything.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!