Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Movies You Like But It Feels Like Everyone Else Hates

Last posted Aug 06, 2014 at 05:35PM EDT. Added Jul 17, 2014 at 03:40PM EDT
28 posts from 25 users

So, this is basically a hipster movie thread! Just post some movies you personally felt were underrated and maybe why!

A recent instance of this for me was "Maleficent", that new live action Disney thing that came out this summer. The reviews were abysmal and fan responses were mixed, but I enjoyed it plenty. The CG was pretty bad but I liked the acting and the storytelling and all that.

Another for me is Man of Steel. It's not my favorite superhero movie, but I didn't think it was the worst thing ever like lots of people thought. In fact, the go-to criticism people have of the movie is "Superman killed someone", which has happened plenty before in the canon and in other movies so that's pretty invalid. I've seen better arguments that are actually legit, but that's usually what people choose.

So, any you got?

Personally I liked Battle for Terra Nothing incredible, but I think it did a better job of humans invading an alien world than Avatar, as the humans aren't just "We blow up peaceful aliens for space oil", and the aliens aren't just primitives living in peace with nature. Morality is a bit more gray, Also, while now it does feel sorta like "Avatar for kids" this was made in 2007.

Also, I guess I also kinda liked John Carter. Again, not the best film in the world, but I personally would watch it again before watching Avatar again.

Of course, this is just me.

The Lone Ranger and Ender's Game. Ender's Game just sorta slipped under the radar for most people, but I thought it was at least as good as the book if not better. The critics liked it but didn't love it.

The Lone Ranger, on the other hand, got torn apart by critics and sank like a sack of bricks at the box office. I didn't just sorta-like the Lone Ranger, I adored it and thought it was a smart, insightful update on the character (since they did it as a revisionist western and made the Indians major characters and not the villains, and also made Tonto more of a complex character while not diminishing the Lone Ranger's role).
Westerns seem just not to do well these days.

I was very shocked when I found out that one of my childhood favorites had only a 50% on Rotten Tomatoes. That movie was Pete's Dragon. I still don't understand why it has that, and Doug Walker's Disneycember episode on it didn't really explain much to me. I thought and still think it's a charming and funny Disney film just like several others in the Disney catalogue.

A modern film that also saw no problem in was Oz the Great and Powerful. I think most of the people who didn't like it are so attached to Wizard of Oz that even when there's several connections to it they still don't like it. Maybe they didn't like the fact the Ruby Slippers didn't appear in the film when its original owner is one of the main characters, but the reason they didn't appear was because MGM owned the rights to them and this film was made by Disney. I really liked how they managed to keep loyalty to the old film, such as starting in Black and White, using character and set designs that look alike, and by having characters in the real world represent characters in Oz.

There are several other film that I like that others don't, like Cars 2 for example, but I understand why others don't like them. These films I still don't understand why people didn't like them.

Starship Troopers.

It's a funny, corny movie with silly special effects, that tries to be serious and fails. But all and all I thought it was fun. Everyone else tells me its an abomination and should never have existed

I didn't realize Iron Man 2 had a bad reputation, I was under the impression it was generally well liked. Then again, it's a super hero movie and comic book fans like to bitch about anything.

As for my picks: I genuinely enjoy the Disney Hercules in an unironic way. I enjoy it in an ironic way too, but I do think it's genuinely good despite being seen as the movie that killed the Disney golden age. The movie has a bit of a cult following these days, but still I think it can fall under the category of "movies everyone hates"

And according to Doug Walker's many requests for him to review Cats Don't Dance apparently everyone hates that movie too, but I genuinely think it's one of my favorite animated movies

Over on the Dissolve, we have an essay series in the comments section called Lovefest where the users do writeups on underrated, underseen, or generally disliked films that deserve some love. I didn't participate, but here's a list of the essays in case anyone would like to check it out. The entries run the gamut of quality from Armageddon to Eyes Wide Shut.

Twister is movie I love watching as a kid and to this day I still watch it whenever I have the chance too.

Volcano is amusing to me, hell it has Tommy Lee Jones has the main star what's not to love about it also the movie is crony as hell.

Constantine is an interesting one. I know that as an adaptation of Hellblazer it sucks but I like mostly because I look at it as it's own thing and not try to find all of the connections linking it to Hellblazer.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 03:21PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

I hate all Disney films.

Except The Lion King

Well, if you hate 99% of them it makes more sense since it's just not your kind of thing, but she's talking about people who are fans of the other movies and hate this one for some reason.

I'm also in the "I didn't know people hated it" club. I thought it was considered one of the classics! Well, different strokes for different folks.

-The league of extraordinary gentlemen
-Daredevil
-The godzilla with matthew Broderick, I admit the car chase was cool
-And Dragon ball Z evolution… PFFF HAHAHAHAHA, Just kidding, Uhhh BLUARG See the mention of that make me puke
-Need for speed
-Shrek 4 ever, almost nobody in my country like that movie

Last edited Jul 29, 2014 at 09:46PM EDT

Is it weird that I can't think of a single one? Maybe it's just that, for all my completely out-their views on the world, I have a very average taste in films. Or perhaps I'm just easily swayed by the public opinion, but only in terms of movies that are generally agreed to suck. Anybody else?

I have a guilt pleasure for a few Scary Movie rip-offs (Date Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie etc.)
Cars (the first one, almost everyone I know seem to think of this as Doc Holiday rip-off, but I don't care.)
Atlantis: The Last Empire
Cats Don't Dance

I'll edit this post if I would think of any more.

Cyphon wrote:

The Lone Ranger and Ender's Game. Ender's Game just sorta slipped under the radar for most people, but I thought it was at least as good as the book if not better. The critics liked it but didn't love it.

The Lone Ranger, on the other hand, got torn apart by critics and sank like a sack of bricks at the box office. I didn't just sorta-like the Lone Ranger, I adored it and thought it was a smart, insightful update on the character (since they did it as a revisionist western and made the Indians major characters and not the villains, and also made Tonto more of a complex character while not diminishing the Lone Ranger's role).
Westerns seem just not to do well these days.

I agree with you 100%

I fucking loved Lone Ranger. Too this day I don't know why anyone would hate it? Dislike it? Sure. Not find it interesting? Sure. But outright hate and bile it got? I don't get it.

Ender's Game as well. I think it got more hate simply because Orson Scott Card is a douchebag. I find it amusing that after praising it to the heavens, a lot of people are now pretty meh about the book that was considered a classic.

I also agree with whoever mentioned John Carter.

Blue Screen of Death wrote:

Starship Troopers.

It’s a funny, corny movie with silly special effects, that tries to be serious and fails. But all and all I thought it was fun. Everyone else tells me its an abomination and should never have existed

WAAAT? All I keep hearing is "It's so bad its good"

I basically grew up watching this movie, and although it's lost some luster now that I've gotten much older, I still enjoy this movie. It's silly and stupid in plenty of ways and critics hate it for being forced and awkward, but damnit, I like this movie!

Last edited Aug 01, 2014 at 07:08PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Starship Troopers.

It's a funny, corny movie with silly special effects, that tries to be serious and fails. But all and all I thought it was fun. Everyone else tells me its an abomination and should never have existed

The movie wasn't supposed to be serious in first place. In fact the script of the movie was half-finished when the executives went up with the Starship Troopers novel license, Verhoeven attempted a satire of war-mongering in general, but the movie ended up being so over-the-top that much took it as a "serious" space marine-esque flick, hence it's bad reputation…

…I've enjoyed Last Action Hero for pretty much the same reasons too. (This could play against my credibility, I know)

every arnold schwarzenegger movie.
there are good ones, and ones that i watched only because of arnie, but i'd lie if i'd say that i didn't enjoy every single one of them.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!