Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Chad Boseman to play the lead in Yasuke, a movie based on a retainer of Oda Nobunaga who became the first African to be a samurai

Last posted May 11, 2019 at 04:29PM EDT. Added May 11, 2019 at 12:59PM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

Source

And real quick here's the Wikipedia page about Yasuke

Pretty neat news, a movie based on an historical figure very few people know about, though it is odd Boseman said Yasuke is "…the only person of non-Asian origin to become a Samurai" which actually isn't true, another non-Asian to become a samurai back in the Sengoku era was William Adams. Though to fair to Boseman knowledge about people who became samurai but weren't Japanese is pretty limited, shit only reason I even know about William Adams is because the game Nioh used him as the main character and I was surprised to learn Adams was a real person as well.

I remember hearing about Yasuke (or a similar story about an African guy who also became a Samurai), I wonder what was the circumstancess that led to him actually going to Japan and managed to rise to the rank of Samurai.
Sounds like it could be an interesting movie, I would probably watch it when it comes out!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!