Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

What are some obscure shows/movies/pilots that you still remember?

Last posted Jun 27, 2019 at 01:14AM EDT. Added May 26, 2019 at 04:12PM EDT
15 posts from 15 users

Back around 2003 or 2004 I remember UPN (back before it merged with WB) had a CG cartoon called "Game Over" that was all about video game characters lives when a game isn't being played. Yeah it was basically sort of like Wreck-It-Ralph almost a decade before it was made, though this show was more of a somewhat typical Simpson's esque sitcom. The show bombed pretty hard as I recall only like two or three episodes airing on TV before it got taken off the air (I recall the six episodes that were finished later got a budget DVD release but I don't recall ever seeing it). Given I was a teenager going through puberty at the time I admit one of the few things about the show I remember was they surprisingly did a Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball parody in one episode, complete with jiggle physics and a joke where a dumb blonde character had the ball spiked between her tits and she somehow didn't notice (I did say it was closer to a Simpson's like sitcom after all). Looks like some episodes are on YouTube at least.

Another obscure TV CG thing I remember is a scrapped pilot airing once or twice on Cartoon Network around 1999 or 2000 called "Groovinia." It had a theme song by The B-52s, and voice talent consisting of some pretty well known names like Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee), RuPaul, and Dennis Hopper. However the animation and story feels more like the result of a 1960s drug trip, though I wonder if that was intentional. Probably the best thing to come out of it aside from the B-52s theme song is this classic YTPMV from Captpan:

There was this show that called "In Case of Emergency". I somehow caught the pilot of it anf the thing I remember was that Aunt Becky (yes that one) was in it. Just searched for it and found out it only aired for one season and was cancelled, leaving one episode unaired.

This weird Japanese Ed Edd 'n' Eddy music video that was aired in Cartoon Network Asia back in the mid 2000s and subsequently disappeared into the void:

I also remember a Puffy AmiYumi and CGI Scooby-Doo music video where Scoob goes to Japan and had fun with the J-pop duo, but it seems to have been lost for good.

Last edited May 26, 2019 at 10:55PM EDT

There was this show with… some cats, and the only incredibly vague memory I had of them was some weird browser game where you were in a weird car and had to power it up by putting vegetables(?) stuck in the back of it or something.

It wasn't until this year thanks to a random post in Discord that reminded of it… I have now found it's a show called "Catscratch"

Last edited May 27, 2019 at 02:39AM EDT

Might not count because it's a video game, but Darkest of Days, a time travel FPS from '09 that was the first and last game for both the developer(8monkey Labs) and publisher(Phantom EFX). it looks half a decade older than it is, but it's an interesting concept, where you effectively play the role of time travel FBI. It's mainly split up between the American Civil War and the Russian side of WW1, with a handful of other settings that are only used for 1 or 2 levels each, such as the Battle of Little Bighorn and Pompeii during the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. For the most part, you use period-correct weapons, but you do get your hands on futuristic weapons like one that is basically the M56 Smartgun from Aliens and a singularity launcher.

Last edited May 27, 2019 at 03:31AM EDT

Wilm210 wrote:

3 South, only a single season was produced and aired on MTV. I forgot about it almost entirely until recently, but I remember liking it quite a lot as a kid.

Oh I remember this. I heard of this guy who compared it to Regular Show. I think a revival could work on Adult Swim or if toned down enough, Cartoon Network. Preferably the former. Also recognize the art style to be like Bordertown's. Not surprised since Mark Hentaiman created both shows

IDK if this is obscure enough, but the pilot for The Modifyers

It was submitted to but rejected by Nickelodeon. Which is a shame, the art direction is very pleasing to look at and it's got a pretty good premise. Kind of sad that it would probably never see the light of day outside of fanart and… that one animation.
On top of that, one of the co-creators Chris Reccardi recently passed away…

Pretty much the entirety of CN's "Boomerang" Channel in it's original pre-2015 state.
I ask myself why I act like someone from the 70's (boomer I guess) despite being born 20-30 years later until I remember I watched nothing but that channel near-exclusively for the first 10 years of my life.

BTW anybody know where I could find the channel bumpers for Boomerang or if there's an OST for that channel?

Not sure if this counts, but many years ago, Cartoon Network had a special program where they aired a bunch of pilots for cartoons back-to-back, and you could call in to vote for which one you wanted to be made into a full show. I don’t know how many there were, but I distinctly remember there being at least two. I don’t remember most of the pilots unfortunately, but I do remember two shows- Codename: Kids Next Door, and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, as they were the winners of their respective contests. There is one other pilot for a show that (I think) was called “Lowbrow,” I remember even though it didn’t win, because a show with the exact same premise would be aired a few years later under a new name- Megas XLR.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Back around 2003 or 2004 I remember UPN (back before it merged with WB) had a CG cartoon called "Game Over" that was all about video game characters lives when a game isn't being played. Yeah it was basically sort of like Wreck-It-Ralph almost a decade before it was made, though this show was more of a somewhat typical Simpson's esque sitcom. The show bombed pretty hard as I recall only like two or three episodes airing on TV before it got taken off the air (I recall the six episodes that were finished later got a budget DVD release but I don't recall ever seeing it). Given I was a teenager going through puberty at the time I admit one of the few things about the show I remember was they surprisingly did a Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball parody in one episode, complete with jiggle physics and a joke where a dumb blonde character had the ball spiked between her tits and she somehow didn't notice (I did say it was closer to a Simpson's like sitcom after all). Looks like some episodes are on YouTube at least.

Another obscure TV CG thing I remember is a scrapped pilot airing once or twice on Cartoon Network around 1999 or 2000 called "Groovinia." It had a theme song by The B-52s, and voice talent consisting of some pretty well known names like Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee), RuPaul, and Dennis Hopper. However the animation and story feels more like the result of a 1960s drug trip, though I wonder if that was intentional. Probably the best thing to come out of it aside from the B-52s theme song is this classic YTPMV from Captpan:

OMG! For over 5 years I have been trying to remember Groovinya, and this fucking thread manage to give me the answer.

Thank you Ms. Fortune. Now I have one less memory that make me sound crazy.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!