So RandomMan and I noticed a lot of editorship requests and suggestions for entries that are lacking detail or simply make no sense at all and, in an effort to curb the constant stream of useless editorship requests and suggestions, I have decided to throw this handy little guide together with his help. Please use this guide when requesting editorship for an entry or making suggestions. And send RandomMan some karma cookies while you’re at it.
If you’re looking for a guide on how to make your entry look nice and match the standard format, check the KYM Style Guide and the <a href="https://knowyourmeme.com/forums/site-related/topics/12023-kym-guide-to-textile” target="_blank" rel="nofollow">KYM Textile Guide.
Selecting an entry
This is a very important part of requesting an editorship. You should have prior knowledge on the subject before you ask for an editorship. If you don’t have any knowledge on the subject and/or cannot contribute anything to the entry, do not request editorship. An editorship is given so you can help improve the entry and its content.
Make sure you have a valid reason for requesting editorship
For example, these are some valid reasons to request editorship:
- You know the origin and/or provide some details about it. This can be through screencaps, links, vids, whatever.
- ”I have screenshots from the thread in which this meme originated and can provide some background on the thread itself.”
- You can help improve the entry overall.
- ”I have researched the subject of this entry and have located the origin, the site(s) responsible for its spread, and mutations of this meme.”
- Give the entry a proofreading and help in fixing the overall spelling and grammar. Perhaps even give the entry a rewrite.
- ”I can correct the spelling and grammar, and can fix the formatting to more closely match current entry standards.”
- ”This entry is a stub. I would like to rewrite the entry with the information I have on this subject.”
- You have knowledge on the meme and/or its spread.
- ”I have extensive knowledge on this meme and would like to improve this entry.”
- You want to add one or more sub-memes.
- Keep the entry up-to-date. 1
- ”The editors for this entry have abandoned it. I would like to update it to reflect the current status of this meme.”
1 This may vary though. If the entry has a large list of editors and the change isn’t that big, a suggestion will do as well. One of the current editors is sure to notice and fix it if needed.
Here are some invalid reasons:
- Add some images/videos you made/like to the entry.
- Gain credit or prestige by having your name appear in the list of editors.
- “I want to be a part of this.”
- You created this meme. 1
- The person who created the entry or is mentioned in the entry is someone you know. 2
- ”I know X!”
- You want to help out. 3
- ”I’d like to help out”
- Fix a few links/correct some grammar. 4
- ”The links are broken, let me fix it”
- You love the meme or are a fan of the show it is based on. 5
- ”Lol, I love this!”
1 If you can prove it, and would like to add to the entry, you will be considered. If not, you will be ignored. If you simply want credit, just make a suggestion with some proof that you are indeed the creator.
2 When we read something like this, it says “this isn’t a meme, it’s an inside joke among friends”. There may be an exception, but you still need to prove it.
3 We appreciate this, but you might need to be more specific. What can you add to this entry?
4 This is something that needs to be a suggestion.
5 That’s nice, but please post this in the comment section.
Another thing: Certain entries like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Homestuck often receive editorship requests of fans who believe they can be a great contribution to the entry because they are fans. This might be true, but please also consider in what way you can contribute to the information already present. If such an entry is still in its early phases, you can be of great help and will probably be added. But if the entry is near completion, there isn’t much an extra editor can add anymore that the current ones missed.