Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,267 total conversations in 494 threads

+ New Thread

Is there an updated ruleset for this site

Last posted Mar 13, 2022 at 03:08PM EDT. Added Feb 02, 2022 at 07:40PM EST
27 posts from 11 users

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I was recently suspended for spreading "Covid-19 misinformation", but I can't find anything for it in https://knowyourmeme.com/editorials/rules-and-guidelines/. I tried to explain this to the moderator that suspended me but they didn't respond.

I also have many problems with this rule and believe it is currently being applied very unevenly, but that's another topic altogether.

You post nothing but 'jaks mocking other groups and you're surprised people find it offensive, inaccurate, and/or propaganda? You post memes mocking people who get the 'jab' and are surprised you're getting punished for spoutin' anti-vax shit?

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

You post nothing but 'jaks mocking other groups and you're surprised people find it offensive, inaccurate, and/or propaganda? You post memes mocking people who get the 'jab' and are surprised you're getting punished for spoutin' anti-vax shit?

The topic of this thread is asking if there is a new rule set. I feel it is veering off-topic but I still want to give you a proper response

First sentence response:
No, I'm not surprised that people are getting offended.
Second sentence response:
Yes, I am surprised because I couldn't find the rule I was violating.
Rambling rant to point out flaws in your post:
I have posted a lot of images saying that they are all mocking groups is just not true and even if it was (which it isn't) what is wrong with that "'jaks" are a meme and as long as the content of the image doesn't break the rules I don't see the problem. There are many memes (virgin vs chad, Average Fan vs. Average Enjoyer, etc.) on this site whose purpose is saying "thing bad" outside "'jaks".
This website has entries for the Anti-Vaccination Movement, Fake, Positive Vaccine Side Effects and even the Canadian Freedom Convoy. Anti-vaccine items don't seem out of the ordinary on this site. This is getting into what I mentioned in the opening about uneven ruling.

Lastly, thank you for the constructive criticism. This puts you above most of my detractors who never attempt to make a substantial argument.

I still haven't gotten an adequate response to this topic. Is it possible for any user with a connection to the moderation committee to give me an answer? I checked the stickied forum for rules and found nothing.
I still don't understand how the Canadian Freedom Convoy can allow users to post images that support"anti-covid protocols" and not get suspended like I was, but that can wait for another thread.

It is a recent trend of some internet moderators believing they have a mission to stop misinformation, which is a noble intention but often applied arbitrarily, and on occasion does not align with findings of actual research, not usually being doctors. Applying this on a website dedicated to memes, especially which ones uploaders do not necessarily agree with is disappointing and could seems a power trip, which I hope does not become a trend on here. But to be honest I didn't see what you posted or how many, quickly uploading many things focused on a single topic could give the impression you are purposefully trying to inflame even if you're not.

northern light wrote:

It is a recent trend of some internet moderators believing they have a mission to stop misinformation, which is a noble intention but often applied arbitrarily, and on occasion does not align with findings of actual research, not usually being doctors. Applying this on a website dedicated to memes, especially which ones uploaders do not necessarily agree with is disappointing and could seems a power trip, which I hope does not become a trend on here. But to be honest I didn't see what you posted or how many, quickly uploading many things focused on a single topic could give the impression you are purposefully trying to inflame even if you're not.

After reading this I should probably provide more context.

internet moderators believing they have a mission to stop misinformation
Moderators did not like my posts but I don't think they were going to remove them. Freakenstein complained on multiple posts from me but said that they were not going to act because I was not violating any current rules. Most people wanting my posts taken down were regular users. thebigguy123, I believe was the one to do it; directly going on discord and asking for my posts to be removed and me getting a warning from Freakenstein later about it. Pure speculation but if I had to guess Freakenstein had a discussion with a staff member about the negative userbase reaction and tried to get a rule made to remove it, which is not as much of a power trip as one of my other warnings I got a decent amount time ago but that isn't important. This theory has a bunch of holes like why wouldn't there be an announcement on the site, how do entries like the freedom convoy trend after such a rule and others.

to be honest I didn't see what you posted
https://imgflip.com/i/5iefz5
https://imgflip.com/i/5lvll9
https://imgflip.com/i/59ov0d
https://imgflip.com/i/5up8mn
https://imgflip.com/i/5vou39
https://imgflip.com/i/5pxw0u
https://imgflip.com/i/5zs8l2
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusCirclejerk/comments/o0inqx/vaxxers_expectation_vs_reality/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalCompassMemes/comments/r19duq/coming_to_a_european_country_near_you_in_the_not/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cringetopia/comments/s1sirl/rconservative_never_disappoints/
here is a sample size of the memes posted (some of these are not the original links)

quickly uploading many things focused on a single topic
I posted 1-2 images a day that spread "anti-covid" protocols. I think there may have been one day I may have posted 4 but I can't remember it completely. I usually post 1 image in a gallery per day so I would post 1 in the npc gallery, 1 in the soyjak gallery and maybe one in the wojak comics gallery. I usually upload pretty late so the site isn't as busy when these images were uploaded.

uploading many things focused on a single topic
I save images in batches so a lot of my images can be grouped with other ones around the same time and paint a narrative. It has happened at least 4 times but this one got me suspended.

Last edited Feb 20, 2022 at 01:14AM EST

superjumpman wrote:

srry fam, the rules can justify basically any removal if deemed NC.
It's not objective, i know. But that's how it is.

Thank you I was looking at the media submission guidelines not the content guidelines. That said I think you are misunderstanding the rules (the irony is not lost on me). This says editor or staff administrator. I have not seen any sign from an editor or staff administrator on an anti-covid protocol rule. Moderators are below both of these positions and they are the only ones who have mentioned this rule to me that I have yet to find anywhere on this website. If this was the way things worked than there would be no point in the arbitration subheading at the bottom of the rules page as the moderator would always be right. After reading through the rules I think I am eligible for arbitration.

Eunice Tremble wrote:

Thank you I was looking at the media submission guidelines not the content guidelines. That said I think you are misunderstanding the rules (the irony is not lost on me). This says editor or staff administrator. I have not seen any sign from an editor or staff administrator on an anti-covid protocol rule. Moderators are below both of these positions and they are the only ones who have mentioned this rule to me that I have yet to find anywhere on this website. If this was the way things worked than there would be no point in the arbitration subheading at the bottom of the rules page as the moderator would always be right. After reading through the rules I think I am eligible for arbitration.

"After reading through the rules I think I am eligible for arbitration."

you arent

better take your ms paint comics elsewhere

Steve wrote:

"After reading through the rules I think I am eligible for arbitration."

you arent

This response is better than your last one but it is still not good.

you arent
Please give further reasoning. The requirements for arbitration are should a disagreement arise between a user and the moderation team over a disciplinary action taken by the latter. I am no longer suspended but I still haven't received a go ahead from the mod to post.

Isn't knowyourmeme for documenting memes even ones you dislike

Finally, I don't think you are following KYM Forum Rule 6 Be friendly. No need to be so angry, I just want to know if there is a new public rule set.

Eunice Tremble wrote:

You can always contact the staff

johnsmith20xx wrote:

You can always contact the staff

Thanks for this link I already contacted a few staff members and this link would have made things much faster. I wish there was a forum listing them like I saw for the moderation team.

Eunice Tremble wrote:

This response is better than your last one but it is still not good.

you arent
Please give further reasoning. The requirements for arbitration are should a disagreement arise between a user and the moderation team over a disciplinary action taken by the latter. I am no longer suspended but I still haven't received a go ahead from the mod to post.

Isn't knowyourmeme for documenting memes even ones you dislike

Finally, I don't think you are following KYM Forum Rule 6 Be friendly. No need to be so angry, I just want to know if there is a new public rule set.

No. A mod on discord said they were working on updating the rules to account for misinformation, but last I checked the mods and staff didn’t come to a consensus yet.

Wrazid wrote:

The notion that Eunice posts cringe so it is okay to make up rules in order to get rid of him needs to cease.

Exactly. If even the staff here are considering updating the rules for this, I doubt they’d do so for such a petty reason.
Lacking reliable means to know important information about Covid can, and has, caused serious harm to many around the world.

Last edited Feb 23, 2022 at 07:33AM EST

Wrazid wrote:

The notion that Eunice posts cringe so it is okay to make up rules in order to get rid of him needs to cease.

I would argue that his posts are always mocking groups and aimed at inciting them is intended to provoke negative reactions from users and is thus a violation of the "don't spam" and "be friendly" rules. I don't understand the mindset of someone who intentionally uploads as much wojaks as possible, narrowly skirting the spamming rules in order to do so, each of them aimed at the most relevant things people like that all have the same punchline of "this is how dumb you look" unless the individual is intentionally doing it to get a rise out of folks. We've had plenty of other spammers far more obvious than he who have tried argue "I just like the """"lore"""" of the wojaks" or other excuses and as a result I'm less charitable in my interpretation of the behavior of those that spam them.

It’s a major problem when the rules come across as hand-wavy, as it shows how they clearly weren’t designed with the 2014 incident or the increasing political polarizations in mind.

Interestingly, the US constitution also shares this glaring flaw of vagueness, shown by when the Supreme Court basically gave itself the power of judicial review, something that Article III didn’t give them.

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

I would argue that his posts are always mocking groups and aimed at inciting them is intended to provoke negative reactions from users and is thus a violation of the "don't spam" and "be friendly" rules. I don't understand the mindset of someone who intentionally uploads as much wojaks as possible, narrowly skirting the spamming rules in order to do so, each of them aimed at the most relevant things people like that all have the same punchline of "this is how dumb you look" unless the individual is intentionally doing it to get a rise out of folks. We've had plenty of other spammers far more obvious than he who have tried argue "I just like the """"lore"""" of the wojaks" or other excuses and as a result I'm less charitable in my interpretation of the behavior of those that spam them.

I don't understand the mindset of someone who responds with "eat shit" when somebody asks about getting warnings for breaking rules that don't exists, but I'm still going to at least try to coexist with Steve. (How the hell did that get 8 up-votes, dafuq people?)

Last edited Feb 23, 2022 at 10:56AM EST

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

Well they did Ban Cockroach for Spamming GigaChad.

Just and update to the situation

A week ago, I got a reply from a staff that they will look into arbitration.
Since then I have since gotten no reply?

Last edited Feb 28, 2022 at 10:55AM EST

Does anyone know about staff response speeds?
A staff contacted me about three weeks saying they will look into the matter and I have gotten no response since.
I am sure they are busy but this seems unnecessarily slow.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!