Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,849 total conversations in 1,742 threads

+ New Thread

Likes not appearing

Last posted Jun 25, 2023 at 06:12AM EDT. Added Jun 21, 2023 at 05:45PM EDT
27 posts from 19 users

VeteranAdventureHobo wrote:

I think they got rid of displaying how many dislikes a comment has if its under 0?

I really hope this is a temporary thing, the last thing we need is another site fallen to the "Criticism bad" circlejerk

Would also like to report that this is happening. The fact I first saw it on the cis slur article and images is probably a coincidence but it does smell a bit fishy. Hope it's just a website bug.

If it means anything I've seen it on Edge and Samsung Internet.

Kenetic Kups wrote:

I really hope this is a temporary thing, the last thing we need is another site fallen to the "Criticism bad" circlejerk

seriously hoping this is just a glitch
there are SO many other things they could address
this should not have even been A suggestion, let alone in the top 100

TARINunit9 wrote:

The feature where hovering your mouse over the thumbs-up shows a title-text of the total thumbs-up and thumbs-down count, that's also broken.

Same here. I was wondering why the number of likes and dislikes on a post weren't showing up when I was hovering my mouse over the thumbs up icon yesterday while I was reading the comments in the Oceangate submersible page.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

We are experimenting with some ways to discourage downvote bombing, including changing some of the ways scores work.

We are still tweaking it, so expect it to change over the next week.

Don wrote:

We are experimenting with some ways to discourage downvote bombing, including changing some of the ways scores work.

Ok, but upvote bombing is jsut as much of an issue
letting mods see who votes things or even letting everyone see would help more

Last edited Jun 22, 2023 at 01:05PM EDT

Don wrote:

Honestly being able to see the scores and how people have voted says so much more then we get on most other sites. Even for positive scores, there's a huge difference between +2, -0, and +50, -48.

Kenetic Kups wrote:

Ok, but upvote bombing is jsut as much of an issue
letting mods see who votes things or even letting everyone see would help more

On the letting mods see votes point, I've sometimes felt like a person's account should be flagged to check if they're legit when they go on a huge downvoting spree. I know people's downvotes can get removed when they're banned (this happened to someone who downvoted me and left a hate comment once), so this should definitely be possible.

And while we're talking about people's votes, why DOES the karma section on your profile only cover forum posts?? You can learn so much about a person by not only how their comments are voted on, but how they vote on other people's (and you don't get that information if, like many users, they never go on the forums).

Last edited Jun 22, 2023 at 02:24PM EDT

Don wrote:

This is a horrible idea. You already saw the stir that happened when YouTube pulled this crap so you should know better.

Just revert it.

Don wrote:

Don wrote:

Who asked for this?
Seriously, who in the sam hill asked for this?

9/10 times somebody gets downvote bombed it's because they said something legitimately fucking stupid and doubled down on it like a complete jackass and they deserved to have their post buried.

Don's post above is a decent example of this phenomenon.

Attempting to get rid of this is honestly just forcing users to listen to the most braindead takes possible. In real life, if you say something stupid, everyone will at least give you a dirty look, downvotes are the Internet equivalent to those dirty looks and I'll posit that they're absolutely necessary to a functional community on this site. Getting rid of them or discouraging their use will just turn this place into another Reddit, Twitter, YouTube and it's very safe to say that the cast majority of the userbase would absolutely despise that.

Blue Yoshi wrote:

Looks like the admins reverted the change. I can see the number of likes and dislikes on a comment when I hover my mouse next to the thumbs up icon. It doesn't work for the forum posts yet, however.

It's all working correctly for me now.
Honestly, this woudn't be as bad as it currently is if they at the very least asked the users before implementing such a thing.

Kommando_Kaijin wrote:

9/10 times somebody gets downvote bombed it's because they said something legitimately fucking stupid and doubled down on it like a complete jackass and they deserved to have their post buried.

Don's post above is a decent example of this phenomenon.

Attempting to get rid of this is honestly just forcing users to listen to the most braindead takes possible. In real life, if you say something stupid, everyone will at least give you a dirty look, downvotes are the Internet equivalent to those dirty looks and I'll posit that they're absolutely necessary to a functional community on this site. Getting rid of them or discouraging their use will just turn this place into another Reddit, Twitter, YouTube and it's very safe to say that the cast majority of the userbase would absolutely despise that.

On the other hand, I do think there are some posts that occasionally get like or dislike-botted for no good reason. But getting rid of dislike counts like this is stupid

Someone proposed letting everybody else (including mods) see who is liking what post to try to sift out any bots or suspicious dormant accounts, but that of course brings the risk of a powertripping mod unfairly banning users for being a "bot" because he/she liked a post a mod may have disagreed with.

The current system we have (flaws and all) served this site well for quite a while, and yes, it could be better. And while making things just that 1% better can be a pain in the ass, I think it's safe to say that turning this place into yet another social media site isn't the way to go.

The funny thing is, hiding it doesn't really do anything. You can still read hidden comments, it doesn't push them to the bottom of a file. If anything, it hides the controversial comments.

Someone saying something that gets them -5 because a few people thought it was dumb is one thing. Someone getting -20 because they were horrendous is another, and someone getting +30 and -32 gives a different message about a split community.

Unfortunately, hiding that makes down-vote bombing more effective, not less, because it makes all of the above the same.

Last edited Jun 23, 2023 at 04:29AM EDT

Don wrote:

Please don't do this. Just revert it to how it was. This will just turn KYM into yet another Youtube/Reddit/Twitter echo chamber.

Like other users have said, when someone gets downvoted into oblivion, it's usually because they said or did something really stupid or otherwise worthy of getting that treatment.

Just like everyone else has said so far, hiding the scores of downvoted comments is detrimental. Don't hide them or obfuscate or anything like that.

Also as some advice, ask your userbase about implementing a change before implementing it.

Don wrote:

Sudden downvote rates are no different than that of upvotes, but having that be a reason to censor an essential visual form of reception is not only too cynical and inconsiderate to assume internet criticism, but these actions damage the clearness of its audience, along with distorting the intended reception a post may deserve compared to what its author expected. Besides, I have never seen instances of dislike bombing in this site's galleries before, even in the Cringeworthy gallery. This comment is very peculiar.

I am also strongly suspicious of exactly who conceived this idea and what other reasons they might have for this decision, which looks more like an appeal to public relations and a sellout for one-dimensional commercialization, which is beyond ironic given the hundreds of deranged memes and other entries this site has received. The excessive ads and 8-second wait time for voting are annoying enough, but this is the bottom of the barrel in internet freedom.

GreenLinzerd wrote:

On the letting mods see votes point, I've sometimes felt like a person's account should be flagged to check if they're legit when they go on a huge downvoting spree. I know people's downvotes can get removed when they're banned (this happened to someone who downvoted me and left a hate comment once), so this should definitely be possible.

And while we're talking about people's votes, why DOES the karma section on your profile only cover forum posts?? You can learn so much about a person by not only how their comments are voted on, but how they vote on other people's (and you don't get that information if, like many users, they never go on the forums).

I hardly use the forums, I used to be a member of this site's Discord server, and even then, I'm more used to commenting on posts and replies. I'm not much of a forum guy altogether.

Why should our karma be based on only the forums, then? I'm not the first to suggest adding reception from posts and any comments and replies as well.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!