Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,077 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

Should I leave America?

Last posted Oct 02, 2014 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Sep 28, 2014 at 02:40AM EDT
28 posts from 26 users

I've been thinking of leaving my home country for a while, now. It's one of the worst countries in the world according to many non-Americans(including people who actually lived in America at one point), full of obese people, and so much more that I can't even list. I tried to tell my family my plans of one day leaving 'murica, but they don't ever want me to leave this country due to family issues. Should I really leave this beat up trash dump of a country to stay in touch with my family(which I think is most important to me), or move on, give up my loved ones, and move to somewhere like Europe?

*Sorry if this makes me come off as a soulless asshole who doesn't give a shit about anyone, because I actually love my family, but I don't know wether or not to move on.

do eet.

seeing the world is a good thing. there are people who go their whole lives without even getting out of the neighborhood / town / city they live in. seeing how other countries are you may end up saying "wow, murica wasnt so bad" or "hmm, I'm glad I left that shit hole" but you won't know till you do it.

Dr. Chill wrote:

I've been thinking of leaving my home country for a while, now. It's one of the worst countries in the world according to many non-Americans(including people who actually lived in America at one point), full of obese people, and so much more that I can't even list. I tried to tell my family my plans of one day leaving 'murica, but they don't ever want me to leave this country due to family issues. Should I really leave this beat up trash dump of a country to stay in touch with my family(which I think is most important to me), or move on, give up my loved ones, and move to somewhere like Europe?

*Sorry if this makes me come off as a soulless asshole who doesn't give a shit about anyone, because I actually love my family, but I don't know wether or not to move on.

Only someone from a first-world country would spout such blatant bullshit. The fact that you're not starving in a dirt street outside an abandoned building should make that obvious.
Things aren't anywhere near as bad as the sensationalist media insists. Is the US perfect? Of course not. Is it the best in the world? Of course not. But consider this: every country has its problems and everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the border. If you're looking for somewhere totally drama-free, consider Mars.

If you want to leave just to get out and explore, then I say go for it. If you wanna leave just because you think the grass is greener somewhere else, lemme go ahead and burst your bubble. Every country sucks to a certain degree, that naturally includes America, but not as bad as most countries. No matter where you go you'll be dissatisfied with it in some way and eventually want to leave. I'm not saying America's a perfect utopia, but all things considered we've got it pretty good compared to most of the rest of the world.

Last edited Sep 28, 2014 at 02:59AM EDT

I wouldn't describe this country as a "beat up trash dump of a country" at all. To me, America seems to be in much better condition than most countries.
And yes, America has some bad qualities, but I'd say the good qualities outweigh the bad ones by a massive amount.
Lastly, if you are planning to move to some place in Europe aside from England or Ireland, you would need to learn the language(s) spoken there, which would be a huge pain if you didn't already know the language in the first place.
But then again, don't take my arguments too seriously. After all, this is an online forum about memes, and if I were you, this would be the last place I'd ask for advice on something like this.

Last edited Sep 28, 2014 at 03:25AM EDT

The only advice i have on this matter is this: You're not gonna find paradise waiting for you out there. There is no magical wonderland where there are no problems. America might have it's problems, sure, but thinking that Europe doesn't is pretty ignorant. All of the countries that those people who told you this come from have just as many problems as ours does, and they're kidding themselves if they think they don't. The grass is always greener on the other side, so if you think America is a " beat up trash dump of a country" I highly doubt that Europe is going to be much better.

If you want to travel the world and see new places, then by all means, do it. It's a wonderful thing to see the world. But make sure that you're doing it for the simple love of adventure, rather than some misguided notion that you're gonna find your Eden somewhere else.

Snarb wrote:

Only someone from a first-world country would spout such blatant bullshit. The fact that you're not starving in a dirt street outside an abandoned building should make that obvious.
Things aren't anywhere near as bad as the sensationalist media insists. Is the US perfect? Of course not. Is it the best in the world? Of course not. But consider this: every country has its problems and everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the border. If you're looking for somewhere totally drama-free, consider Mars.

Ah, Mars is old news. Anyone in the know knows that Mercury is the place to live! Why bother to move just to end up cold and dreary when you can have fun in the sun… for 29 days, 7 hours, and 45 minutes at a time! Requirements for life not included.

(But seriously, what Fandroid/SirBrownBear said.)

Take it from an immigrant from Latin America, you don't know what you are talking about. America isn't perfect, but it's far from shit. Nowhere is going to be perfect and you could do much worse.

Last edited Sep 28, 2014 at 03:50AM EDT

It’s one of the worst countries in the world according to many non-Americans

Um no

You're listening to the proud nationalists that always have something to say when you mention America in Youtube comments. They'll have something to say about every nation too for that matter

But you're not listening to actual statistics

America's world reputation is nowhere near the bottom according to global polls. And statistically speaking, America has a whole lot more shit together compared to many other countries in terms of economics, infrastructure and politics.

Trash dump? Hunny, you aint seen nothin'. If you want a trash dump of a nation, check out North Korea. NK has completely gone to shit. The US is nowhere near that level.

Obese people? What, you think that's the worst thing a nation can have? At least you actually have the privilege to find a McDonalds in every town

Is the US goverment a mess? Yes. And that's why I'm staying in NZ. But don't expect any less screwed up goverments anywhere else. At least you can vote where you are. As mentioned by other commenters: every other nation has their fair share of bullshit. You're just only focusing on America's problems and ignoring the many, many other problems shared around the world.

By all means go to Europe. It's a nice place. Travel the world. That's a sincerely great thing to do. But everywhere you go, you're going to find a downside. Only now you'll be away from family and you wont speak the langauge. I advise traveling to other nations, but not under the expectation that everyone else has it better. You'll be disappointed

Don't talk about LEAVING the USA. Talk about where you want to GO.

Do you WANT to LIVE in Europe? Look over the pros and cons. Talk to people who live there. See what it is like. Visit first, move second.

Same goes for anywhere else. Don't just say "US sucks, I'm leaving." Once you have studied other places and gotten to know them, you can decide where you want to live.

Also, the USA is a very big place. If you don't like where you live now, move to a new state. You may find things are pretty different a thousand miles away.

Dude, I live in the Philippines. A third-world country with a slowpoke economy and a whole lot of problems. No offense but I don't think you know what a trash-dump is until you've visited a developing country. I've visited a first-world country before, and while it's not perfect, it's heaps better than the country I live in right now. If you plan on leaving America because it doesn't live up to your standard of living, then you better do your research and look for the happiest country out there, be sure to bring a lot of cash because it's not gonna come cheap. I actually plan to go to America for a year not only because I want to play tourist, but also because the tertiary education there is much more respectable than the education attained here. It's only a few more months before I finish college, so I'm going to see if America truly reflects the bad rep it gets online soon. Judging by its GDP and Capita Per Income, I'd say no, but only real experience will say otherwise, right?

Rikkhan wrote:

pretty much what fandroid said, murica at worst I'll consider it at the lower half in the 1st world countries

¿care to explain downvotes? I said at the worst case scenario USA could be at the lower half in the 1st world countries list, in a more general point of view it should be on the top 10 places to live or near.

But I always thought you want to go back to your swamp?

Seriously, though, leaving to a different country or even another city might change your lifestyle for better or worse. It's challenging, but possible if you want to adapt from it. Else, you'll deeply regret it.

Plus, you might not even realize the advantages that can be found on your area so I suggest try not to be one-sided about it.

Last edited Sep 29, 2014 at 11:24AM EDT

You know, I'm not going to tell you to leave or stay but I just want to say something. Do I just live in a place where obesity is rare (which I doubt considering I live in Chicago where our food practically exists to make one obese) or something? I always see everyone throw around the "EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY IS OBESE!" comment everywhere when in reality I rarely see like one or two people that could REALLY count as Obese these days. What, did the world change the definition of obese to anyone who has any amount of body fat on them? Cause if that's the case then I've seen plenty of obese people!

While I think the replies given so far are sufficient to answer your question, I'd like to chime in. I'm an American citizen and I've traveled to Asia and Europe. While I enjoyed my travels very much, I still have no desire to live anywhere other than the USA at present.

What you're feeling is likely a sense of stagnation and restlessness from living in your current region for too long. Perspective often revitalizes and stimulates; you would do well by yourself to travel abroad, whether you're a college student and you decide to take a semester abroad or otherwise if you volunteer for a service program or even just take a vacation somewhere else.

America is far too big a country for you to say it's all bad. Sure your community may be not to your liking, but that doesn't mean you have a valid reason to hate your own country.

TL;DR: Travel somewhere other than where you live, whether that's to another country or to another state. That should give you some much needed perspective.

Although it's nice to explore the world, you shouldn't leave the country because of what some overly-proud nationalists said.
People love complaining, and will try to find some excuse to bring you down. That doesn't mean you should abandon your home country, instead consider yourself to be lucky to be here, and not somewhere worse.
America's not perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of the other countries in the world.

I can't stop you from choosing, and to be honest, I would love to travel to another country for a while. Just make sure that you make the decision that best fits you.

Euroclaps call this country trash all the time, while everyone is scrambling to bail out of the EU
we are a first world country with all the good and bad that comes with it, if you move to some third world mud hut you aren't going to be better off (but if you do move to a swap)

my suggestion is stay here until we have the money to put a dome over cali and appalachia and suck the air out.

You can move to Europe, but prepare your ass for much larger bills and a vastly different political system along with learning a completely different language and embracing a shit load of vastly different problems.

I mean, we aren't living a trash dump and we have a array of problems, but believe me when I say this. . .you are good where you are compared to the rest of the world. Your best bet is Canada if you like shitting out blizzards and snow.

Armenian with a long family history of migration because of the Diaspora here! I'm just glad I'm born in the US and not anyplace else. If I was born where my mother or medzmama was born in, I would have been dead.

Every country and nationality has it's problems, grow up. Europe has it's own problems as well.

Last edited Oct 02, 2014 at 12:33AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!