Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,078 total conversations in 682 threads

+ New Thread

Pride Month is stupid. The idea of "celebratory months" are stupid.

Last posted Jul 15, 2018 at 12:10AM EDT. Added Jun 02, 2018 at 11:56PM EDT
26 posts from 16 users

The idea that you have to spend a month "celebrating" the fact that it's socially acceptable to be different is really, really stupid. You shouldn't have to celebrate being black/gay/etc, because that just encourages others to look at you like an a stigma, not as an individual, when you should be considered one no matter who or what you are.

As a homosexual, this month is kind of honestly pathetic, having an entire month dedicated to what is essentially virtue signaling. It's actually more embarrassing than it is "empowering" because of it, because it just shows even more that gay people are more to be gawked at like a zoo animal than they are to be treated as equals. And it's also kind of fucked that these kind of months promote the idea that it's okay to be gay/black/whatever on said month. It's almost dehumanizing.

I remember on Black History Month and the really bad PR Youtube got for the whole "Support black creators" tweet, and the backlash that got. It feels more like a sense of pity on them (and by extension, every other "month" than it does a sense of recognition and equality.

I also had a discussion about BHM and Pride Month a little while back because of this reddit post.
With Pride Month just around the corner, can we get a Tracer/Emily spray?

There's just so many things wrong with that, and a lot of people on the post are too blinded by senseless inclusivity to realize it. The main one being that since the game has world-wide recognition, it would not be a good idea to have blatant LGBT propaganda in an otherwise homophobic country, such as Russia. My main beef with it is the sheer amount of virtue signaling it poses. Overwatch doesn't need any more of that, and gays don't need that much representation.

Ultimately, the idea of these "months" don't actually acknowledge accomplishments set by the groups they're meant to represent, they more used as a tool to feel apologetic towards said groups. Black History Month especially. I've been calling it "Black Apology Month", since the only real things discussed on BHM revolves around slavery, and how we as a culture recognize that more than we do the current or non-civil rights accomplishments set by black people.
I don't want gay people to have to feel the same way. I don't want it to be "Gay Recognition Month" simply because it's the month that homosexuals were legally allowed to marry nationwide. These months don't "normalize" the idea of being black/gay/etc., and just saying that sounds even more dehumanizing.

TL;DR: Gay people should be treated like people, not gays. Same with blacks, asians, hispanics, what have you. We're all people, not sub-classes.

Overexposure can actually lead people hating those groups not for what they represent but simply because they're in places where that comes off as overly forced.

It's sort of similar how some people hate very popular music because it it's overplayed or how people hate certain shows or fandoms because the fans shove the fandom stuff everywhere in discussions and other places where it doesn't fit.

Agreed.

Part of the reason why I hate SJWs is that they love labeling people. When you view people as their label rather than their personality, you blind yourself to some harsh truths of the world. Being a minority (be it sexual orientation or race) shouldn't make you immune to criticism, nor does it make you some kind of special being.

If you're trying to normalize something, you should probably start with actually treating them like they're normal.

Some members of the LGBT community see a pride month as singling them out and segregating them, some see it as support in the face of discrimination, and honestly I think both views are very valid. The only real problem as I see it comes when someone uses the former viewpoint to dismiss actual problems LGBT people deal with. In any case, it's just a matter of celebrating or not, so as long as no fights break out over it….

You bring up a good point. I understand that they mean well with these celebrations, but I think the fact that these celebrations even exist could be considered as shedding a negative light towards these groups/minorities. This may sound weird, but I feel like these months give the impression that these groups are desperate or in need of pity/sympathy if they need to have these months dedicated to them, when in reality they are (or should be) on the same level as everyone else. (Maybe that's why there's no such thing as White History Month or Straight Pride Month, because they are a majority and society doesn't view them as needing sympathy or additional representation. Then again, that's only how I interpret it).

Last edited Jun 06, 2018 at 03:11AM EDT

One Vivacious Victini wrote:

You bring up a good point. I understand that they mean well with these celebrations, but I think the fact that these celebrations even exist could be considered as shedding a negative light towards these groups/minorities. This may sound weird, but I feel like these months give the impression that these groups are desperate or in need of pity/sympathy if they need to have these months dedicated to them, when in reality they are (or should be) on the same level as everyone else. (Maybe that's why there's no such thing as White History Month or Straight Pride Month, because they are a majority and society doesn't view them as needing sympathy or additional representation. Then again, that's only how I interpret it).

The sheer irony that these months kind of do more ostracizing than they do normalizing simply by existing.

Meh, the existence of these months never really bothered me. I mean unless someone is implying or outright saying that you have to participate in these months or else you're a bigot then i don't really see anything wrong with them.

A Wolf wrote:

The sheer irony that these months kind of do more ostracizing than they do normalizing simply by existing.

Considering these months can cause ostracizing, would this be relevant to idiocy within a celebratory month?

How to Train your Dragon has some tweet referencing a trailer coming up soon. Said tweet caused some people to get a bit salty because its pride month yet you have "hetero dragons".

I'm just going to leave a link a tweet that shows it since it shows a few images of said tweets complaining about "hetero dragons" during pride month, of which is all from a tweet thats giving a teaser for a trailer.
https://twitter.com/DishonouredWolf/status/1003587943884304385

SicklyVivian wrote:

Considering these months can cause ostracizing, would this be relevant to idiocy within a celebratory month?

How to Train your Dragon has some tweet referencing a trailer coming up soon. Said tweet caused some people to get a bit salty because its pride month yet you have "hetero dragons".

I'm just going to leave a link a tweet that shows it since it shows a few images of said tweets complaining about "hetero dragons" during pride month, of which is all from a tweet thats giving a teaser for a trailer.
https://twitter.com/DishonouredWolf/status/1003587943884304385

Alright, bitching about things being normal is stupid and is quite literally heterophobic in this case, and that's barely a thing. I think these are just a bunch of misguided socialites wanting to live in a world with more gay representation in media, so instead of encouraging that, the have to berate heterosexual media (aka literally everything else). And that's dumb. Or, as he put it, retarded.

Really what people should be complaining about is the fact that we don't really need another HTTYD movie.

TripleA9000 wrote:

Meh, the existence of these months never really bothered me. I mean unless someone is implying or outright saying that you have to participate in these months or else you're a bigot then i don't really see anything wrong with them.

I had to block many people on tumblr during this "Pride month" because many of them said stuff like "If you wouldn't walk in a Pride Month march than f- you, f- you for not supporting us." It's ridiculous. Our opinions and our beliefs don't matter.

NO it isn't stupid. I know from recent experience maybe even by some on this very website that there is a deep malignant bigotry against LGBT people.

If you are in the majority then every month is straight cisnormal white dude month.

You don't have to "like" LGBT people but you do have to show the same respect you expect to receive.

Last edited Jun 22, 2018 at 08:20AM EDT

poochyena wrote:

your comment assumed pride month helps lgbt people. Why?

Personal experience. While some of the pride activities are a bit out there. Having a month where we say we're still here helps.

Plus a LGBT pride month is a chance for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people and other sexual and gender minorities to celebrate together.

Consider the history of it. Consider where it started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

At that time in the 1970's it was ILLEGAL for a male to dress like a female in public. Police would routinely stop and harass transgender women if they did not pass or if they were known to them. They would beat, demand bribes, or sexual favors. We could be and often were AND SOMETIMES STILL ARE locked in jails where guards would pair us with larger inmates and watch us be sexually assaulted.

Thanks in part to the activism around pride month. We now have LAWS that protect our right to live and exist and have honorable jobs and places to live. Thanks in part to pride month we have reached a place where people are so unbiased that almost all anti LGBT bias is the unconscious kind. But then things like this happen.

😅Hopefully my sharing this dank meme showing a cat-boy type character with a transgender pride flag as if at the parade will not result in object proof that we still need pride month.
😇

Last edited Jun 22, 2018 at 12:29PM EDT

>Having a month where we say we're still here helps.

who is saying you aren't still there? What about that helps?

>to celebrate together.

…celebrate what? There is nothing special about being gay

>history

We are talking about pride parades in 2018.

poochyena wrote:

>Having a month where we say we're still here helps.

who is saying you aren't still there? What about that helps?

>to celebrate together.

…celebrate what? There is nothing special about being gay

>history

We are talking about pride parades in 2018.

There are many people who think of being LGBT as a choice. That we should all just will ourselves/pray ourselves to being normal.

There is nothing abnormal about being LGBT but it is a natural variation in human sexuality or gender identity/presentation.

In 2018,…. the story in the video I embedded is from 2017. When it comes to transgender people we are still very much targets of violence and hatred like that once reserved for gay males 30 years ago.

>There are many people who think of being LGBT as a choice. That we should all just will ourselves/pray ourselves to being normal.

Education fixes that. No one sees a pride parade and magically starts thinking it isn't a choice.

>There is nothing abnormal about being LGBT but it is a natural variation in human sexuality or gender identity/presentation.

didn't really answer the question of what is being celebrated.

>transgender people we are still very much targets of violence and hatred

again, how does pride parade help this? Also, hate crimes aren't exactly unique to trans people. Literally everyone is a target of violence and hatred. Crime isn't really a micro problem, it is a macro one. When crime levels go up or down, all types of crime tend to go up or down.

Uttamattamakin wrote:

NO it isn't stupid. I know from recent experience maybe even by some on this very website that there is a deep malignant bigotry against LGBT people.

If you are in the majority then every month is straight cisnormal white dude month.

You don't have to "like" LGBT people but you do have to show the same respect you expect to receive.

> If you are in the majority then every month is straight cisnormal white dude month.

If you are in the majority then every month is just a month. Most people don't revolve their public identity around their sexuality or ethnicity, even sexual and ethnic minorities. Standing out by asking for special treatment never increased one's social acceptance, not among the general populace and especially not among prejudiced people, people who are disapproving of the deviant, the different.

LGBTQ people and ethnic minorities can never get normalised if at the same time they emphasize their own difference. It's a counter-productive effort. You know what makes people, especially bigots more accepting of "the other"? Showing them that in the grand scheme of things you aren't much different from them, that you're both humans that can peacefully coexist and cooperate in the same space. Tolerance and acceptance are born from seeing similarity in one another, not underlining one's difference.

While what happened to them is still terrible, I don't necessarily think piggybacking off of their near-death makes for a good point.

We all wish that LGBT people didn't have to get hurt simply because of who they are. The point of my statements have been that Pride Month feels way too ostracizing due to the flamboyant nature of it. I don't think a whole month should be dedicated to trying to emphasize that you're different, one should practice trying to make homosexuality a subtle, everyday lifestyle like everyone else's.

A Wolf wrote:

While what happened to them is still terrible, I don't necessarily think piggybacking off of their near-death makes for a good point.

We all wish that LGBT people didn't have to get hurt simply because of who they are. The point of my statements have been that Pride Month feels way too ostracizing due to the flamboyant nature of it. I don't think a whole month should be dedicated to trying to emphasize that you're different, one should practice trying to make homosexuality a subtle, everyday lifestyle like everyone else's.

I'm really worried about your mindset right off the first sentence. If you consider going "this person had a god awful experience, because of homophobic islamic groups, we need to do something about that, and currently since he himself wished to be a part of the pride month walks taking place we can understand why we have them" as "piggybacking" the event, i have to ask you, what, how can we even look at these situations then. If doing more than "oh that sucks, my condolences, so anyways" is considered "piggybacking" no one can do anything.

At some point you should realize anyone who uses pride month as an excuse to hate LGBT people, would've probably hated them without pride months by finding another excuse. Outlawing an act done to protest our rights and how we're treated unjust because "oh you guys act too gay they won't accept you like that", means that people who wouldn't accept us, was never going to accept us in the first place. Homophobia and transphobia isn't just actively hurting LGBT people, a form of it is pretending like we don't exist. And whenever that pretend illusion is broken, the people in question going "oh man you faggots being like this won't help anyone just act normal lmao" pretty much reveals their actual nature. This idea extends to seeing LGBT individuals in any media, and the outrage that causes amongst the same people too.

If the tradeoff of "acceptance" is that we need to sit tight, never kiss in public, never make our presence known to anyone, ignore how our members still receives extremely harsh unfair treatments ranging from threats, disownments, imprisonments, executions, harassments and more, then i'm sorry but i don't really see that as acceptance in the first place. This is why comparisons to how "normal people act" never works, since non-LGBT people never went through and still doesn't go through what we do across the world, a straight pride month doesn't work, and it's not because "straight people don't parade about their sexuality", it's because straight people already has the civil rights that LGBT people doesn't and already is in higher social standings than LGBT people period. If your view of the world is restricted to what you see online, not even, but the american-european western groups online, you may think otherwise, but unfortunately for us, we don't live in a utopia like that.

Last edited Jun 28, 2018 at 02:22AM EDT

I believe there are a few points to be poked at before wrapping up the Pride Month 2018. This might be a long post, but it's much shorter than your average oppressive "Code of conduct" or other Orwellian document.

Metamorphosis:
Things change. Monday turns into Tuesday, which then gives way to Wednesday and so on. A historical change took place as the doctors of WHO (World Health Organization) announced that transexuality is no longer a mental illness, effectively putting an end to not only an era, but also IMHO to a certain line of arguments, one which I myself am well familiar with. Feelings and opinions of the laymen, including mine, are irrelevant when confronted by facts which have been laid down by professionals. Medicine and psychiatry are exact sciences, and if they aren't, they damn well should be.
Of course, nobody is naive enough to think that WHO has put a stop to heated arguments: there's always another set of topics and issues to fight about. However, nobody should shy away from such arguments. The anagram of "penis" is "spine" – every human needs one of those, not necessarily both. The exchange of ideas, emotions and argumentation errors ultimately don't harm people – it is the intellectual segregation that does. Living in a bubble stagnates the very air one breathes. Participating in a prolonged circle jerk chokes everyone, not only the chicken.
One thing is for sure: WHO's ruling is enough reason for celebration for the LGBTQ community, and therefore any argument that Pride Month is stupid can be flushed down the toilet. Facts over feelings, not the other way around.
Never have the words "changes happen overnight" (as sung by Gloria Estefan in "Oye Mi Canto") rang more true.

On the importance of colors:
For Christians, rainbows symbolize the covenant God made to never flood Earth to death again (Sodom and Gomorrah were just warning shots, and they weren't exactly flooded). Of course, rainbows are beautiful even if you don't believe. It is no wonder that the LGBTQ adopted a symbol that is beautiful as opposed to something edgy and rebellious, e.g. a dried up stencil of Che Guevara.
One would think that seeing a symbol – one which has no doubt gained power through Christianity – being displayed in a context that doesn't align with the teachings of Bible would cause more controversy than it does. But it doesn't, for some reason. No jihad? None at all? Either most Christians don't see the link or they are much too civilized. Christians rule. Hallelujah!
In any case, I wouldn't have paid much attention to seeing the familiar symbol combined with the SCP foundation logo. But upon closer inspection, it became clear that something was not right with the rainbow. On top of the color red, two more colors, brown and black, are nesting like diseased vultures. I have seen pictures of actual rainbows online, and not one of them had brown or black in them. Does brown stand for shitsexual? The meaning of black can only be worse: it is the color of cold space and black holes from where no light can escape. It absorbs everything but gives nothing back. In short, black is the color of ultimate selfishness. It is telling that black and brown have been placed on top of all the other colors.
Of course, officially these new colors stand for the movement known as BLM (Black Lice Matter). No matter what your opinion of BLM is, the original aesthetic of the rainbow has been ruined, beauty caked by a thousand shades of ugliness. What was (mostly) apolitical is now political. All this for the sake of appeasing some militant niggers ("n-word" for those who don't know)! Alas, any schadenfreude I might feel drowns further under the fact that during the last few years, SJWs have been infiltrating entertainment, gaming, social media and fucking open source code projects. (For the sake of conversation, and because I'm a naive and impressionable fool, I'm assuming that the overlap between crazy SJWs and the LGBTQ community is less than 100%. It's easy to mistakenly use these terms interchangeably for the benefit of no one.)
I wept when I saw Saddam Hussein getting hanged, and if I get drunk come the weekend, I will weep for the defiled rainbow flag, too. And now, the real kicker: BLM IS A PROMINENTLY STRAIGHT MALE ORGANIZATION. This shit WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN A REAL UTOPIA. So ask yourselves now: where do you stand in this? Or do you prefer to sit or just go on all fours?

You can ride my tail anytime:
Top Gun, the box office hit movie of the 80s, will get a sequel in the fall of 2019. The original Top Gun got the balance between heterosexual and homosexual masculinity just right. It will be interesting to see how the new movie deals with inclusivity. The movie will star the F-18E/F Super Hornet, a cisgender fighter aircraft along with asexual unmanned drones. I hope that the transexual F-35B (STOVL version) will make a surprise appearance!

Pandemonium:
Whatever political maelstrom Pride Month finds itself wrestling with, it isn't stupid. However, questioning the length of the fest is understandable. Wouldn't a week be indeed enough? No, it wouldn't. After all, many things are better when they are long: birthday parties, sausages, life, prison sentences, drinks, cucumbers, vacations and blog entries. As the LGBTQ inevitably gains more consonants, it makes sense to extend the event into two months. And perhaps, in the spirit of dismantling the white male privilege (it's the current year), next time around let there be less white men in the gay parades than ever before. Stay home, whiteys, and give more room for the red, yellow, magenta, lavender, aqua, fuchsia, burnt sienna, mauve, duck egg blue and the uranium green people.
Things change, but one honest question remains: if transexualism is no longer a mental illness, is it instead androgynephilia or a sexual perversion? To be precise: instead of lunatics, are transexuals merely fetishists or perverts?
In closing: Heads up! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
#hugswithconsent #hashtag #communo-masochism

TL;DR: Tom Cruise is an absolute darling, even if he's a dirty scientologist.
(This post is released under EU Commission Asshole License. For complaints, dial 8.)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!