Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

why aren't there many openly female members on kym?

Last posted Jan 01, 2020 at 07:59AM EST. Added Dec 29, 2019 at 11:41AM EST
10 posts from 5 users

i've been noticing an decline in the female meme population over the past couple years. then again maybe i might be freaking insane but the only girls i know are bill (yes they're female, don't @ me). mare and blanis at best. At worst, most either pretend to be dudes or don't disclose their gender period. like i get that the internet is full of creeps and perverts who would be creaming their pants at the mere mention an anon might be legit a girl. And I get that. people should be allowed to get their personal life out of their internet life. the last thing we need is talking about that stuff.

even then it does speak volumes about the general culture kym had cultivated over the years. Or women aren't funny or some shit….correct me if i'm wrong on that one. I wish not to antagonize or make a wide sweeping generalization towards since im more or less just curious honestly. like i sometimes state im not male and insist to be referred to as such but not a single dude acted creepy at me. at most it's forgotten about and the status quo of everyone thinking im a boy comes back. at this point i'm kinda embracing it since there's no changing that…

Most of the female users who used to be on the site and contributed were ones who many would label as "SJW lite" ie, they would certainly point out problems that they felt media had (skimpy impractical clothing and other ridiculous fanservice, lack of female representation when there was no reason not to have it) but they also would still enjoy it and not judge people who also enjoyed it, especially if they also willing to acknowledge that there were some things that could be seen as problematic.

That was prior to GG of course, so with a mass influx of that, and more importantly, that sort of attitude here… you can probably guess the result. These were people who wanted to still be able to enjoy things, not write essays on why your opinions were wrong. When confronted with mobs of people who would actively mock them and bury their comments for not agreeing with the circle jerk (or worse, point out how said circle jerk had actual flaws) many of them just left.

Granted, even before this point, KYM and most meme websites in general) were skewed male. While there is of course some underlying sexism in some memes in the late 2000's and early 2010's (make me a sandwich, women talk to much, women logic, etc.) which I doubt helped, there is generally a stereotype of more men being socially maladjusted and developing a near unhealthy amount of interest in something niche. While memes are pretty mainstream now (for better or worse) they weren't nearly as much when KYM took off. Most females who I have seen irl talk and show memes think they are neat but don't really care about it more than that (though I guess the same holds true for most guys as well…)

Also, most culture is kinda just male assumed unless talking about something that is more generally female dominated. Yes, the whole "there are no girls on the internet" joke comes to mind, but even using "they" irl in reference to a person not present, I have often found people have just assumed the person I was talking about was male. Is this a massive problem that should be rectified? IDK. Bu the simple fact I ask this question is something that some will actively attack and assume I'm some rabid SJW when I was just musing and not really that invested in anything other than promoting some thought.

Jill wrote:

Most of the female users who used to be on the site and contributed were ones who many would label as "SJW lite" ie, they would certainly point out problems that they felt media had (skimpy impractical clothing and other ridiculous fanservice, lack of female representation when there was no reason not to have it) but they also would still enjoy it and not judge people who also enjoyed it, especially if they also willing to acknowledge that there were some things that could be seen as problematic.

That was prior to GG of course, so with a mass influx of that, and more importantly, that sort of attitude here… you can probably guess the result. These were people who wanted to still be able to enjoy things, not write essays on why your opinions were wrong. When confronted with mobs of people who would actively mock them and bury their comments for not agreeing with the circle jerk (or worse, point out how said circle jerk had actual flaws) many of them just left.

Granted, even before this point, KYM and most meme websites in general) were skewed male. While there is of course some underlying sexism in some memes in the late 2000's and early 2010's (make me a sandwich, women talk to much, women logic, etc.) which I doubt helped, there is generally a stereotype of more men being socially maladjusted and developing a near unhealthy amount of interest in something niche. While memes are pretty mainstream now (for better or worse) they weren't nearly as much when KYM took off. Most females who I have seen irl talk and show memes think they are neat but don't really care about it more than that (though I guess the same holds true for most guys as well…)

Also, most culture is kinda just male assumed unless talking about something that is more generally female dominated. Yes, the whole "there are no girls on the internet" joke comes to mind, but even using "they" irl in reference to a person not present, I have often found people have just assumed the person I was talking about was male. Is this a massive problem that should be rectified? IDK. Bu the simple fact I ask this question is something that some will actively attack and assume I'm some rabid SJW when I was just musing and not really that invested in anything other than promoting some thought.

I don't know, i use to get real mad when folks (and i hate using this word) "misgender" me but i could understand that. they use to talking to other guys so naturally they have this assumption. it's only when they start denying this reality that it starts feeling a tad rude and not funny anymore. i guess i could sympathize with people told your something your not to the near point of ad nauseam…

you're not going to get people exposing themselves very much on the meager comment sections of entries, images or glacial speed of the forums.

it's a big waste of time divulging any information on this meme website. people subconsciously don't bother.

Cronus wrote:

you're not going to get people exposing themselves very much on the meager comment sections of entries, images or glacial speed of the forums.

it's a big waste of time divulging any information on this meme website. people subconsciously don't bother.

How do you usually refer to a user then? Since there's an obvious bias towards to towards he, why isn't they being used more often? You don't have to worry about getting corrected if you fuck that up.

Now I could understand. Why they isn't commonly used as it mostly refers to a group not a singular person but at least with that you can still retain that maybe person could be a guy or maybe not.

I'm not trying to suggest everyone is forced to come out of the woodwork over the gender but I guess loneliness plays a part in this.but even then, I can respect people wish to keep their personal details hidden since once it's implies your not a dude people kinda treat you differently. Varies about site to site Thoguh and I rarely ever had a change in attitude when it turns out I may not be male. Then again not many people know me so it's a facet that's rarely brought up.

There is generally a stigma against women online, often being labeled as "attention whores," which is a huge reason why the phrase Tits or GTFO exists. It's not just about male-dominated online communities, but also women not respecting anonymity online. It's a dumb action for one's self to point out that one of their defining traits is being their sex because it kind of proclaims the idea that being a girl on the internet somehow makes you special.

No disrespect towards female internet goers, as this is more about respect for yourself, and also the people around you. If you want to be open about being female, that's fine, but just don't make it your defining personality trait, as that is not only annoying for the people around you, but it's going to attract quite a few creeps in the community.

I guess because kym doesn't post content women like. All my friends are women, they are like memes, but very rarely talk about or share memes that I see on kym.
the women I know mostly like the facebook/instagram/tiktok tier memes that get shunned here.

poochyena wrote:

I guess because kym doesn't post content women like. All my friends are women, they are like memes, but very rarely talk about or share memes that I see on kym.
the women I know mostly like the facebook/instagram/tiktok tier memes that get shunned here.

I hate to be "not like other girls" but I never found the appeal with these memes. But that doesn't mean all of them are bad and some guys kinda overreact to much to them. Things have changed over the years and I know how it feels when looking back in the past can make you feel sad..

Doesn't excuse some of the fucked up behavior I've seen threaten to bomb a house or something like that.

Kappapeachie wrote:

How do you usually refer to a user then? Since there's an obvious bias towards to towards he, why isn't they being used more often? You don't have to worry about getting corrected if you fuck that up.

Now I could understand. Why they isn't commonly used as it mostly refers to a group not a singular person but at least with that you can still retain that maybe person could be a guy or maybe not.

I'm not trying to suggest everyone is forced to come out of the woodwork over the gender but I guess loneliness plays a part in this.but even then, I can respect people wish to keep their personal details hidden since once it's implies your not a dude people kinda treat you differently. Varies about site to site Thoguh and I rarely ever had a change in attitude when it turns out I may not be male. Then again not many people know me so it's a facet that's rarely brought up.

'He'.

I'm not interested in using space-age terminology when I'm going to reply with a meme or call someone a faggot.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!