Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Should you treat those close to you like garbage because they're normies?

Last posted Apr 24, 2022 at 07:44AM EDT. Added Apr 09, 2022 at 09:19PM EDT
25 posts from 23 users

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

My parents love me. Whenever I ask them about trust issues I have, or if no one loves me, they go out of their way to remind me how much they love me, and how much people around me show compassion or friendliness toward me. Generally, people I know or commonly interact with in real life act really nice to me. They say "hi" in a friendly tone of voice, they show appreciation for things I do every now and then. My parents, generally speaking, have always been there for me when I needed them, especially in times where I am experiencing difficulty in my life, or when I'm generally feeling down.

And yet, they like Disney (and technically Marvel as well.)

Is there any set-in-stone law on the Internet that states who is and isn't worth anything based on their interests? Should there be? Does emotional attachment take priority over someone's media allegiance? Should I be more concerned about late-stage capitalism over my emotional and mental well-being, or spending more time with my family or friends? Or should I get mad at them and treat them badly because they do things some of you detest?

What hypothetically makes someone like Kups or No!! worth listening to over my parents or those close to me?

"Should I treat the people who love me and care about me like garbage because they aren't on the internet enough to turn cynical and jaded?" Is such an awful question and should have been one of those questions you should have already known the answer to (the answer is suppose to be no, by the way).

Last edited Apr 09, 2022 at 09:30PM EDT

Normies (however you want to define the word) consist of most of the world btw. Not a good idea to shun them unless you want a very lonely life.

Last edited Apr 10, 2022 at 02:28AM EDT

Arcadenblog wrote:

My parents love me. Whenever I ask them about trust issues I have, or if no one loves me, they go out of their way to remind me how much they love me, and how much people around me show compassion or friendliness toward me. Generally, people I know or commonly interact with in real life act really nice to me. They say "hi" in a friendly tone of voice, they show appreciation for things I do every now and then. My parents, generally speaking, have always been there for me when I needed them, especially in times where I am experiencing difficulty in my life, or when I'm generally feeling down.

Is there any set-in-stone law on the Internet that states who is and isn't worth anything based on their interests? Should there be? Does emotional attachment take priority over someone's media allegiance? Should I be more concerned about late-stage capitalism over my emotional and mental well-being, or spending more time with my family or friends? Or should I get mad at them and treat them badly because they do things some of you detest?

What hypothetically makes someone like Kups or No!! worth listening to over my parents or those close to me?

"Media allegiance" means more to you than your interpersonal relationships, to the point where you treat them badly?
Are you looking for absolution for this or…?

Last edited Apr 10, 2022 at 04:42AM EDT

Ok, putting aside that this doesn’t hold a candle to the positive stuff you said your parents do..
Outside of the internet, where pseudonymity emphasizes our personalities, media affiliation doesn’t matter that much. It can get in the way of fresh experiences of art, but I don’t think they’d mind if you introduce them to media that’s gradually more niche.

Is there any set-in-stone law on the Internet that states who is and isn't worth anything based on their interests? Should there be?

No, especially not for people you know better irl.

Does emotional attachment take priority over someone's media allegiance?

Media allegiance, like other kinds of allegiance, is arbitrary. Why should someone’s movie preferences get in the way of a healthy social life?

Should I be more concerned about late-stage capitalism over my emotional and mental well-being, or spending more time with my family or friends?

No, that’s way too broad an issue! Spend time with your family and friends. You could even bring up topics you’ve learned about on the internet if they care enough to listen.

Or should I get mad at them and treat them badly because they do things some of you detest?

Don’t treat them badly, especially not for our sake.
It’s best not to think of people in terms of worth, as it can give off the wrong ideas. There certainly is value in the internet, such as with getting new perspectives one wouldn’t be able to find any more easily.

I kind of wish some guys I know had less vanilla taste in movies, OP, but that doesn't really diminish their worth as a person. Different strokes for different blokes, live and let live. I'm sure there's some media I love that they'd probably not be able to stand if they watched and vice versa.

As for the late stage capitalism part, I'd say their tastes don't really matter in regards to their role in society (if I'm understanding you here right). Everyone's just trying to get along in it, and I wouldn't really place their tastes as reflecting how the partake. I've known some pretty left-leaning dudes who are into media giants like Disney, and some guys who're pretty staunchly republican who love stuff like some pretty non-traditional shows like Steven Universe.

Just learn to appreciate your loved ones, even if your tastes and views clash. I'm sure they mean well.

Of course you shouldn't treat people like garbage. Especially over something so mundane as liking Disney and ESPECIALLY YOUR GENIUNELY LOVING PARENTS. Why is this even a question!?

I feel like I got flashbanged

No. My best friend is pretty much a normie in most senses and that actually makes it more fun to hang around with him. Both of us being terminally online and jaded about unimportant internet stuff would be just a bad combination.

The obvious answer to this should be "No"… but to be honest, I feel like I've seen plenty of people on the internet (including some on this very site who I won't name) who would look at this question and unironically answer "Yes".

AceAttorney9000 wrote:

The obvious answer to this should be "No"… but to be honest, I feel like I've seen plenty of people on the internet (including some on this very site who I won't name) who would look at this question and unironically answer "Yes".

Because for some people the internet is their entire life.

I'm sure the point has been hammered in by now, but treating the people who love you unconditionally like garbage because their opinions on media don't line up with yours is fucking silly.

What exactly do you even mean by that?
Are you asking because you actually think you should? Or is it that you don't see why you should? Hopefully it's the latter, otherwise your future may not look too pretty. Trust me.

also tf does no!! have to do with this all he does is say random crap

Last edited Apr 17, 2022 at 10:21AM EDT

“Should I be more concerned about late-stage capitalism over my emotional and mental well-being, or spending more time with my family or friends? Or should I get mad at them and treat them badly because they do things some of you detest?”

First, capitalism isn’t going anywhere atm, so you should get around to accepting that you forumgoer have no control over that. If you’re talking about brands, yet framing it in this light, it implies you already understand your problem. What you do have control over is the bonds you make with others. I’m not entirely sure what you mean by the next sentence, what do you mean by “detest”? Is it something you agree with? Where are your set of values?

Reading this thread was like reading about a person who is void of any actual human characteristics. You gotta sort a lot of stuff out, man

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!