Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,707 total conversations in 1,732 threads

+ New Thread

My Little Pony image board, reposts and other problems

Last posted Jul 27, 2011 at 09:36PM EDT. Added Jul 19, 2011 at 06:27PM EDT
78 posts from 23 users

Note: If you are not a brony or a regular visitor of the MLP:FiM entry page, this forum may not be directed towards you.

As many probably have noticed lately. The image board on the My Little Pony entry is having problems with a lot of images being reposts. This was the case for quite some time, but lately this has only increased. With an image board this big, it's understandable to lose track of the images that were already uploaded. But I've even seen images being uploaded, which I have seen so many times, I'm suprised they uploaded them.

Which brought me to think. I believed the problem was the sources people used. Because if the source is ponychan or another thread related site, better not upload it, 90% of the content posted there is a repost. The best thing to do is use sites like Equestria Daily and Poniboruu, and look at the newest uploads. Also Deviantart works great, but you need to know which people upload the most ponies.
I'm not a regular uploader of images myself, so I might not be the best person to doubt sources.

But I placed the sources problem in the comments as well. One of the replies I got was:

My current picture sources are DA (I have many pony artists on DA watch), Ponibooru, Bronibooru, EqD Drawfriends, and even e621. When the source is available I check the artist page to see if it is a piece of artwork posted within the past 24hr as I assume if it is older than that X, Y, or one of the others has uploaded it already. Artwork without a source I assume is already older than 24hrs and I don’t post it unless I can find the artist through a reverse picture look up. I try not to repost and if I do I remove them when informed, so please let me know when I do so.

I left names out on purpose.

This reply is a perfect example of what I like to see. Good sources. And when in doubt, it's a repost.

Now a solution for this problem might be a little hard. With the brony community being so big, it's easy to lose track. But maybe some rules should come. I understand that we can't make more people image moderators just for one entry.

As I have seen on the walls of image uploaders, they look after each other. Telling each other when they place a repost. Also the Image Cleaning forum is being used. So people already try to solve the problem.

But please people, this is getting out of hand. Not everything that's clickable needs to be posted. I'm not pointing at anyone here, but please consider the problem when you upload. If we would remove all the repost, the "guise, you need to stop posting" message on the front page probably wouldn't have been placed yet.

Last edited Jul 19, 2011 at 06:28PM EDT

I think i suggested this before but im gonna suggest this. I'm not sure what the image moderator's do but i think we try to get it to where only certain people can upload images then if someone finds a pic they send it to that person/group and they post it if they decide it isn't a repost or discard it i it is a repost. It may not be the best plan but it is still a plan.

Forgot another problem:

I noticed a lot of images posted on the main page lately that fit better in a sub-meme of MLP.
Some people also repost images from a sub-meme to the main entry.

Please consider this as well. The sub-memes are there for a reason.

Like I said on MLP:FiM article, I think we need an Image Mod for this entry, I know it's hard that KYM gives mod to some of us but I think it's a good idea to fight reposts…
I lurk on MLP:FiM entry since it was wrote and I remember when a image is a repost (sometimes I miss some pics, obviously, there are more than 10K, but if I repost a pic and someone gives me a link to the original one I remove it immediately), and I know I'm not the only one who knows when a pic is a repost and when not…and lately the number of reposts has increased A LOT and you guys know how many pics are uploaded to the entry every day, that's why I think we need an special Image Mod for us (even it sounds unfair to some people)…

RandomMan wrote:

Forgot another problem:

I noticed a lot of images posted on the main page lately that fit better in a sub-meme of MLP.

↑this↑ Someone needs to make sure this clarification is made.

RandomMan wrote:

Forgot another problem:

I have noticed this as well. During the large image dumps we've been having I've noticed a lot of Derpy pictures in particular that have been uploaded to the main page which should be sent to the Derpy submeme. Maybe if we contact those responsible they would be willing to move the pictures to the proper subeme.

I'm with Epic Fail Guy is a Brony, I think we should have a Pony Image Mod. One of us could try and send a message about this to the site operators, worst case scenario they tell us "no way" and we'll have to stick to strict posting rules.

How would have a brony image mod make the situation better? It doesn't make them more qualified over other potential image mods. Besides, most bronies are new members to this site, so that would make them even LESS qualified. All you can do is lurk in images and post that there are reposts of the same image. That's all.

Last edited Jul 20, 2011 at 11:32AM EDT

/\ This is completely true.

We just need to report reposts to someone who has the power. And, if an image is over a week old, the odds are it has already been posted, so don't upload it. Seriously, I've seen images from the last page suddenly on the front. If its old, don't post it.

^
This is the best rule to follow, but the problem is that it is impossible to enforce it. Even telling the reposters this rule doesn't seem to deter them as they are either too lazy to check their sources or just don't care it seems.

supermonday wrote:

I think i suggested this before but im gonna suggest this. I'm not sure what the image moderator's do but i think we try to get it to where only certain people can upload images then if someone finds a pic they send it to that person/group and they post it if they decide it isn't a repost or discard it i it is a repost. It may not be the best plan but it is still a plan.

I don't this would be possible, we can't take away the freedom of posting from everyone and make it a privilege to just a few.

But it might work the other way around. When I see reposts, it are usually the same people. Maybe we could give people who often repost warnings, telling them to check their resources and use the matching sub-meme for their images. And if they don't listen, we don't allow them to post on the main entry anymore. But I don't know if this is possible, also we would need help from the mods.

Every image poster reposts sometimes. But from what I have seen they tell each other. And usually the reposter listens. But with some posters it happens too often, and they don't seem to take the comments seriously.

So it might be best to start with the source.

Why don't you just close off posting images to the MLP entry? We understand that it's a meme and we have plenty of evidence of that fact so why do we need more? Users can still upload their MLP images separate from the entry and they can still trend and all that without cluttering the entry. Even doing this temporarily while cleaning out the dupes would be a big help.

The problem I've had with some reposters is that they comply in so far that they delete some images, but if they have a repost that happened to get some comments or a fave or two they then refuse to delete it. This then forces me to take note of that image for later deletion in the dupe thread. One reposter I've had trouble with makes mention of how his pics end up in the most commented section and most favorites despite them being reposts which makes me believe he/she is really in it for the comments and faves.

I do like the idea of warning reposters and then if they continue revoking their right to post images. One or two images reposted shouldn't be punishable, but what should be punished is chronic reposting and image dumps with tons of reposts. That would be the time to issue a warning I believe and advice about proper posting etiquette.

Well this thread seems to have taken off.

It doesn't help we have one particular repeat offender who is just doing it because he can. Going so far as to name himself "lawdy of reposts" even.

And what can we do? What can we really do right now!?
Not a thing but put a "This is a repost" comment, take down the url, and report it to the image mod thread.
Which has noticeably…done nothing for us so far.

I'm all well and fine with finding another image moderator just to deal with our over expanding gallery which is becoming nothing but reposts which is becoming ridiculous. Not saying it should be one of us, but someone!

Oh wells, back to marking images as duplicates. Might as well get started.

Patton's Lost Son wrote:

Why don't you just close off posting images to the MLP entry? We understand that it's a meme and we have plenty of evidence of that fact so why do we need more? Users can still upload their MLP images separate from the entry and they can still trend and all that without cluttering the entry. Even doing this temporarily while cleaning out the dupes would be a big help.

That's actually a good idea. If we do decide to temporarily disable photo uploads on the entry, you guys can use this thread to report reposts so they don't get lost in the other thread.

^ That's not a good idea imho because fan-made content is the very soul of this "subculture". Maybe I'm weird but I can't even imagine the MLP:FiM page without its daily dose of freshly uploaded images (even the not-so-fresh ones, but seriously, we have to do something about it ^^)

^
I can agree with you on that, the images are what makes it popular. But with the current situation it might be best to close it down for a few days. With all the content already available, I can live a few days without.

I'm okay with turning this thread into a repost report thread. Some people will obviously be against closing the images, but with the current situation it might be our best shot.

If we do something like this, better note names as well. Those mainly responsible need to take the responsibility. As I said before, it are usually the same people who repost. So it shouldn't be so hard to find the cause. The major reposts started recently, so if we start looking from around image 8000-9000, we could save us a lot of time. There are also very old reposts, but those should be easily recognized.

Maybe we can create a rule where only fan-art is posted. I'm not really interested in all those image macro's.

Whoa whoa whoa there RandomMan. While I don't I don't like the reposts myself, I am not going to object to image macro's coming in.
Sure they are harder to keep track of, but they are generally funny and moderately well done.

Also, I've covered most if not all the image reposts up to 8 days ago in the image cleaning thread.

This latest wave is just a chore to go through T_T;

I agree with James and Patton's Lost Son on this one there is way to many repost and there is tons more everyday the only way I see us fixing this repost thing is to quarantine it for a short amount of time there is still the newly formed meme base page, ponibaroou, and ponychan to look at to get your daily pony fix I like a influx of new images everyday also but the repost to new content ratio gets worse every day.
And what makes it worse is some up loaders don’t even attempt to look for repost they have made, it really should be there job not others.
To top it off some uploader have repost in there own gallery!!!!!!!
I for one have been though all the images MANY time and I am sure that others have too so to find a Mlp page image mod shouldnt be that hard.
Lastly you should remember that this is a documentation of memes website not a image board!!!!

Last edited Jul 22, 2011 at 03:47AM EDT

Kalianos wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa there RandomMan. While I don't I don't like the reposts myself, I am not going to object to image macro's coming in.
Sure they are harder to keep track of, but they are generally funny and moderately well done.

Also, I've covered most if not all the image reposts up to 8 days ago in the image cleaning thread.

This latest wave is just a chore to go through T_T;

For keeping track of all the reposts I thank you.

But the main reason for my opinion of image macro's is like you said, they're too hard to keep track of. I like them as well and they're funny, but with the repost problem it might be a solution, since they consist of the most reposts.

If the part about reposts in ones own gallery is true, those people need a warning first. If they continue their actions they should be forbidden from posting, yet I still don't know if this is possible. My feeling that they just want to give their rank a boost and hope to receive praise is confirmed even more.

Last edited Jul 22, 2011 at 05:45PM EDT

I have two issues with the quarantining idea:
1) It is only a temporary solution. Even if you combined it with some sort of sanction against the worst reposters, it will only be a matter of time before someone else joins the fandom and starts the problem again. Since there are so many images being created, and because the MLP page's popularity guarantees that any image dump will include a handful of highly rated images, I wouldn't expect the purge to last for more than a month. If we haven't been able to keep up with the reposts so far, I see no reason why we would be able to in the future.
2) The MLP page has become a sort of nexus for the fandom, like an aggregate site. It's popularity comes form the constant stream of content from the various sites and from the liveliness of its community. If you cut off the images, you will drive away a large swath of users who may not desire to come back once posting is re-enabled and the trickle of images resumes. This move could cripple the page, and thus strike a blow to the fandom as a whole.

I can see why it may be necessary to cull the reposts, but it would be better to find a way to do so without shutting down the image stream. Cutting off the images causes too many problems, and only provides a temporary reprieve.

Seems people are deciding the Quarantine the the images section for a while, so that it can be cleaned is taking off.

I would question, what would happen right after we take the quarantine off though?

Platus wrote:

I have two issues with the quarantining idea:
1) It is only a temporary solution. Even if you combined it with some sort of sanction against the worst reposters, it will only be a matter of time before someone else joins the fandom and starts the problem again. Since there are so many images being created, and because the MLP page's popularity guarantees that any image dump will include a handful of highly rated images, I wouldn't expect the purge to last for more than a month. If we haven't been able to keep up with the reposts so far, I see no reason why we would be able to in the future.
2) The MLP page has become a sort of nexus for the fandom, like an aggregate site. It's popularity comes form the constant stream of content from the various sites and from the liveliness of its community. If you cut off the images, you will drive away a large swath of users who may not desire to come back once posting is re-enabled and the trickle of images resumes. This move could cripple the page, and thus strike a blow to the fandom as a whole.

I can see why it may be necessary to cull the reposts, but it would be better to find a way to do so without shutting down the image stream. Cutting off the images causes too many problems, and only provides a temporary reprieve.

Noooo.. don't tell them of our only weakness!

Kalianos wrote:

Seems people are deciding the Quarantine the the images section for a while, so that it can be cleaned is taking off.

I would question, what would happen right after we take the quarantine off though?

The quarantine will only be temporary. So I don't think the impact will be too big. We'll probably get some names as well, so it will show us the cause and bring a solution. After that we just have to make sure we take immediate action if a repost spammer pops up again in the future.

But nothing has been decided yet.

We need some kind of detection by MD5 of the images (like on Wikipedia), or, when uploading from URL, don't allow to upload from the same URL (like for videos).

@SWFlash
I think that Ponibooru has a similar dupe detection system doesn't it? I know that whatever system they have has helped keep me from reposting there once or twice. Something like that here could be helpful as some of the reposts I've seen have the exact same file names and dimensions as the original images. Anyway, sounds like a good idea to me, but it would be up to those who run the site to implement it.

Like SWFlash's idea, something like that could work out. But still like Calpain said, it's up to the mods to create something like that.

Maybe something more easy to create: A report button.

@RandomMan
Or even just a button that notifies the poster by E-mail. Someone who doesn't comb through their uploads once in a while will miss the comments telling them that they have reposted. A simple notification may be all that's needed to get a lot of these image taken down.

^
Good idea, I like it. But it brings back another problem that Calpain put in the forum.

Calpain wrote:

The problem I’ve had with some reposters is that they comply in so far that they delete some images, but if they have a repost that happened to get some comments or a fave or two they then refuse to delete it. This then forces me to take note of that image for later deletion in the dupe thread. One reposter I’ve had trouble with makes mention of how his pics end up in the most commented section and most favorites despite them being reposts which makes me believe he/she is really in it for the comments and faves.

So we have to find a solution to that as well.

^
I agree, my idea is only a partial solution. We need a way to address Calpain's issue, which I feel with have to involve taking the issue out of the poster's hands. Due to the volume of images, some sort of automated, or semi-automated system will probably be necessary.

An automated system will probably be the only solution, exactly because we can't force each and every image uploader to comply, like Calpain said. And let's not forget that sooner or later new image uploaders will join the fray, and probably won't read any of the rules we may have come up with meanwhile.

All new photos now have SHA-2 hashes saved with them and I finished computing the hashes for all the old photos over the weekend. Right now I can see exactly which photos are duplicates and in the future you won't be able to upload a photo to an entry if it's already been uploaded.

Excellent news, James! Hopefully this can help solve our problem over on the MLP page, plus help cut down on dupes on other pages as well. Should help out the whole site I think.:)

James, for you invaluable service to our cause, and by the power vested in me by the office of our lord and master the god-queen Celestia, I now declare you an honorary pony. Your certificate will arrive in the mail within the week, and we can have the surgeon graft on your cutie mark by the fall. Welcome to the herd.

Yeah, I like the idea about sending pics and vids to certain people, who then decide what tu upload. It works really well on Equestria Daily, aside from the fact that the admin's e-mail is constantly flooded with e-mails…

@ace_awesome
But ED puts out images at a far slower rate than we do. There is no way that an administrator, or even a group of them, could contend with our output.

Everyone.
I AM the one who disabled new image posts and new videos to the MLP entry.
Let me explain why before raging and spitting on my face.

11k pictures? 1k videos?

There is NO ACCEPTABLE REASON as to why this entry in particular has that overload of submissions. The only reasons I've seen in the threads talking about it is: "it's because new content is added everyday and we have to show that fresh content is still going on" & "it shows that the show is indeed popular you pony haters!".

My answer is OH NO YOU LE DIDN'T. We don't need that many uploads to understand how popular the show is. We already know it and acknowledge it. We don't need new content everyday dammit!

Did you see the same behavior in other entries, let alone subculture entries?
NO, you didn't! That doesn't mean furries or Touhou fans are dead.

I'm repeating myself once again but KYM ISN'T a shrine to spread new content, to advertise yourself and/or hook-ups with fans like you.

If you want to find "fresh" creations made by MLP fans, go to Equestriadaily, Ponibooru or even Deviant Art, you whiny 18 years old virgin bundle of sticks!
Or you know what? Make you own website about it, but be prepared to have a lot of bandwidth.

If any other mod reactivates new image/video posting to the entry, I'll come again and again to deactivate it, no matter what. This have to stop now.
James, can you give "& pony hater" as a title too please? Because I can foresee a new shitstorm incoming. Only this time, I'm fed up of simply having to endure it without doing anything.

Thank you.

In the meantime, I'm lazy to have to go through 11k pages of pictures to delete the dubs, you know. But now that I deactivated new uploads (and I swear I'll still do it if changes are done to it), we may have time to have some dubs hunting now…

EDIT: Some pages of pictures are broken in the entry. And, of course, comments are quick to choose KYM as a target before maybe even slightly consider that it may be their fault if the pages are broken.

Anyway yeah, it seems to happen here and there to some image pages. here, #6, #7, #8 and #9 are broken, meaning that people can't access to the arrows and numbers to move on another page.

Last edited Jul 27, 2011 at 10:12AM EDT

So.. if you have deleted all duplicates images from MPL:FiM, that DOES mean that they posted 11k original pictures?
Are they crazy? No, seriously, MLP is becoming a mental illness.

Tomberry, that was an incredibly arbitrary and unfortunate thing to do. Your inexplicable resentment over a page which is drawing hits to a site that you moderate -- and so have a personal interest in the success of -- is inexplicable. Why are you angry that the MLP page has over 11,000 images even after the reposts are deleted? Why are you angry that a meme has garnered this much attention? Furthermore, what do you mean by "this behaviour" on the subculture entries? What "behaviour" do you mean? Posting images and videos? Starting discussion threads? Voting up content from our favourite meme? How are these bad things? This "behaviour" is simply a refusal to lurk forever, and can only strengthen the site's community.

As for your thread to continue disabling images regardless of what the other mods do: I question its wisdom. You are a moderator, yes, but you are not the sole arbiter of law on this site. You have taken a serious action, apparently without consulting anyone else, and you have threatened to continue that action even in the face of unanimous moderator disapproval. This is an entirely inappropriate course of action. It is far too draconian and authoritarian an act to be appropriate on a web site of this kind.

In sum, you made a very poor decision in locking the images and videos. Perhaps you still disagree? Perhaps you consider my defence a symptom of the "mental illness" that you see infecting the MLP fandom? Perhaps, in response to my post, you might even ban me? Very well. I have done as much as I can do in this scenario, and the consequences must be my own. Just know, Tomberry, that you stand alone in this. Your decision will anger a lot of people, and can only damage Know Your Meme as a whole in both the short and long term, and you manifesto above will do little to fix the problem. Your action cannot stand as it is, and it will change.

I can't really say I'm to thrilled with locking the videos and images on the Friendship is Magic page either. It's not even season 2, how are people supposed to see the new characters and such introduced if the page is locked?

Platus, you are my favorite brony right now.

We, as a community have a right to post our works and spread our love of something to other people. In disabling our right to upload, you have essentially killed what was one a perfectly healthy and thriving meme. Are we a "mental illness"? I certainly think not. We, as individuals, have chosen this meme as one of our favorite things, and we love to talk about it, to share or love for, and unite, by something we feel is truly great. Your action can only be described as tyrranical, by having suppressed something you feel was getting too popular. I am in no way threatening you, sir, I am simply stating my beliefs as an active member of this community. Should you disagree with me, fine, you reserve the right to your own opinion. But I reserve the same rights as you, good sir. But I ask you to reconsider your actions, and undo what you have done. Should you feel the need to punish me for my thoughts, so be it. I will be happy knowing I expressed my opinions in a free and calm manner. That is the greatest honor I could have.

EDIT Hold on, Tomberry. You are saying that you are sick of something becoming popular, because you aren't a fan? That it is "popular enough" as it is? That is a completely one-sided and biased view. Shouldn't we be able to enjoy the things taht make us happy? We all realize that there are haters out there, that see us as an infection to be eliminated. But never at any time have I heard a legitimate reason as to why we are hated so much. Not just here, mind you, but all over the internet. In taking such an irresponsible action, you have denied an entire group of people the basic liberty of expressing their views and opinions to the masses. I thank you for your time, and I hope you will reconsider your actions posthaste.

Last edited Jul 27, 2011 at 12:34PM EDT

Maybe you could if you reconsider posting so much.
I'm alone in that decision and haven't talked with any KYM officials so yeah, COME AT ME BRO.

Why are you angry that the MLP page has over 11,000 images even after the reposts are deleted? Why are you angry that a meme has garnered this much attention? Furthermore, what do you mean by “this behaviour” on the subculture entries? What “behaviour” do you mean? Posting images and videos? Starting discussion threads? Voting up content from our favourite meme? How are these bad things? This “behaviour” is simply a refusal to lurk forever, and can only strengthen the site’s community.

LOLOL, attacking me on the fact I'm preventing KYM from having pageviews and everything? Let's have it in reverse then. Why is your fandom blinding you on the fact it's not necessary to have so many images and videos in that entry? Why are you wanting to have it as some kind of supreme place for pony lovers?
I'm not angry that is has got popularity through out the web. I can't and certainly don't want to prevent that. But seriously? Can't you see when too much is too much?
You people go as far as posting direct screenshot from the show simply as it is… If it was for the "reaction faces" entry, I would gladly understand, but there?

Yes, I still disagree that you guys abuse of such freedom that is documenting Internet phenomena to exacerbate that love for a fandom when there are thousands other places out there sharing this passion and where posting such content is more obvious. Look it up.

I have also seen people now posting content in the Touhou entry because "it has not 9000k images like the MPL entry". It's worrying me.
A sub-culture shouldn't have to act like this to exist, don't you think?

But now, you are acting like a whiny little kid whose parents take a toy back to him when they realize their kid becomes obsessed over it without paying attention to anyone around.

May I also point out the fact the Furries entry got its image section closed for a long time because of fear of offensive images being poured in?
We didn't have any outcry from the Furry community because of it so sorry if I don't really fear your "threats".

Last, but not least, the entry page isn't locked, only image uploads and video uploads are (even if I'm reconsidering reopening the video upload hoping there won't be 11k videos there).
So there will be documention if there is anything happening when season 2 arrives.

Thank you again.

EDIT: If I really hated the Pony community, I would also have disabled the comment section and begun banning pony-related accounts. Just saying.
You are still free to express yourself in comments. if you still think new picture uploading is an abuse of power that is a threat against that fandom, while new content is still added everyday on other websites, then I don't think you understood the true goal of KYM.

It certainly isn't to promote any fandom in particular…
KYM isn't a site that provide a daily dose of pony to those who come here. Now that KYM is affiliated with the Cheezburger Network, there is a special Pony-related board on memebase. Why don't you go there?
And no, I don't think it will kill the pony community to have it disabled.

Last edited Jul 27, 2011 at 12:35PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!