Forums / Media / Video Games

38,605 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Dead Space remake announced for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X, developed by Star Wars: Squadrons dev Motive Studios

Last posted Aug 09, 2021 at 12:26AM EDT. Added Jul 22, 2021 at 08:48PM EDT
6 posts from 4 users

First the teaser trailer:

And details from the devs:

But for people who can't watch the whole video here are some bulletpoints:
-Is a remake of the first game, rebuilt on Frostbite
-Working with fans of the original games in order to ensure the overall "feel" of the original Dead Space is left intact
-Will still include some gameplay improvements, for example the devs are looking to make the zero-gravity gameplay more like Dead Space 2
-3D audio to enhance the horror experience
-Devs are aiming to make the game 100% seamless, with no visible loading screens during normal progression (such as the tram load screens)
-Will still stick to the canon of the original game
-NO MICROTRANSACTIONS. The devs at Motive are fully aware of how this was a major complaint people had with Dead Space 3 and are ensuring the same mistake won't happen again.
-Dismemberment system could be enhanced in some ways (like maybe dismemberment that's more nuanced)
-Combat will stick to the Resident Evil 4 "action survival horror" style of the original rather than the Gears of War esque approach of DS3

The new Dead Space feels like the worst monkey paw imaginable.
It's like asking for my son back, then finding his mutilated, rotting corpse at my door, strung up like a marionette, his killer holding the strings and smiling at me.

As much as I miss this series, I refuse to buy it from EA.I refuse to render patronage towards this new game of theirs when they themselves killed the series and its studio.

Juki Nuki wrote:

The new Dead Space feels like the worst monkey paw imaginable.
It's like asking for my son back, then finding his mutilated, rotting corpse at my door, strung up like a marionette, his killer holding the strings and smiling at me.

As much as I miss this series, I refuse to buy it from EA.I refuse to render patronage towards this new game of theirs when they themselves killed the series and its studio.

I'm also feeling very two minds about this as well.

Whilst EA is the spawn of Satan, they are also the only ones who hold the rights to the Dead Space series; so they are, unfortunately, the ones who say if it lives or dies.

I feel this is going to be like a Resi 7 scenario, where the series will either live or die depending on how well this title does, so it should receive some support.

I'm all for letting another studio to give it a shot, and I'd like to support them if they do well; but it'd be nice if I could do it in a way that the developers benefit from it more than the publishers.

And on another note, are there any good publishers?

The only one I can think of might be Valve, but if we include Steam shenanigans, then I really don't think there is any, just lesser and greater evils.

Mr. Croat wrote:

Why not make a bloody sequel to that DLC of Dead Space 3?

Because EA would have to pick up from where Visceral left off, and after Battlefield: Hardline failed, they killed Visceral. if they ever intended to continue from Awakening, any of the work they did for it would be gone.

Besides, like I alluded to earlier, I'm not sure EA likes to boast about how it's killed this studio, though given their track record, I wouldn't be surprised.

Okay, watching the vid again, and I got to the part where they said they're making sure there's no microtransactions. Almost didn't believe you when you wrote it, or that you got it from a separate interview. That gives me some hope. The further away they go from the business practices and creative decisions of Dead Space 3's development, the better.

Last edited Aug 05, 2021 at 02:37AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!