Forums / Media / Video Games

38,598 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Wii U and 3DS eshops being shut down in March 2023

Last posted Feb 18, 2022 at 05:26AM EST. Added Feb 16, 2022 at 12:39PM EST
8 posts from 6 users

Source

It was inevitable they'd be shut down eventually, though I am a bit surprised they lasted as long as they did given Nintendo only waited like 2 years after the Wii U's launch to shut down the Wii Shop Channel (plus the whole "the Wii U was basically a flop" thing). Given we've gotten an advance notice of one whole year, better start grabbing what you can on these two shops while you can. I grabbed pretty much everything SMT related this past December when Atlus games were all on sale, but there's definitely some other things I really should nab while I still can (like shockingly I still haven't gotten Rhythm Heaven Megamix yet).

Worth noting Pokebank will be free following the 3DS eshop closure, so that's something I guess.

Gotta say it feels a bit weird that now that the eShops for these two discontinued systems are closing you suddenly have people saying they should stay open forever. Like seriously, outside of a weird fuck like myself, who's still buying Wii U and 3DS eshop games frequently enough to justify keeping the servers running? Even Microsoft is starting to close down servers for Xbox 360 titles like Halo 3, and they're the company founded by Bill Gates so using the "but they have money!" argument really doesn't work for any first party. I know people got upset at Sony when they said the PS3/Vita/PSP store would be closing and they moved the date, but again they only 'moved the date', the PS3/Vita/PSP store is still closing eventually. What I'm saying is you can't expect stores to stay online forever, and the real reason why people get upset is they let their FOMO suddenly take over despite the fact they had plenty of time to buy shit from these stores long before now (in my case I've simply never owned a PS3 so I feel it's more my own fault).

Last edited Feb 16, 2022 at 04:10PM EST

It's inevitable, but still sucks when that happens.

One possible issue is that unless they port some exclusive games, they might get stranded. I hope they bring Fire Emblem Awakening to the Switch, or something. It was the savior of the franchise.

Rylade475 wrote:

I just realized the third route in Fire Emblem Fates, Revelation, will no longer be available to purchase once the 3DS eShop goes down

There's still the Special Edition cartridges, which include all three routes on one cartridge, but they're absurdly expensive. If Nintendo doesn't re-release it in some shape or form, it'll probably become like Earthbound was before it was included on the SNES Classic Edition in that the only way to play it without shoveling out $500-$1,000 to Ebay scalpers is to pirate it.

IMO, Nintendo should just make a HD re-release of the three FE games on the Switch (Awakening, Fates and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, the last of which is already a HD remake of Gaiden, ironically enough.) They're probably not going to, but I'd pleasantly surprised if they did. Those three are rather important as not only was Awakening responsible for the franchise not dying, but all three are important steps in the evolution of Fire Emblem's gameplay. Awakening introduced casual mode to the US (It was already in FE12, but that was Japan-Exclusive), Fates introduced having multiple stories that exist entirely separate from each other and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia introduced the new combat system and undoing turns.

I'd say that they should just put Virtual Console on the Switch and put all the old FE games there, but unfortunately they're focused on a different model for re-releases now.

Kommando_Kaijin wrote:

There's still the Special Edition cartridges, which include all three routes on one cartridge, but they're absurdly expensive. If Nintendo doesn't re-release it in some shape or form, it'll probably become like Earthbound was before it was included on the SNES Classic Edition in that the only way to play it without shoveling out $500-$1,000 to Ebay scalpers is to pirate it.

IMO, Nintendo should just make a HD re-release of the three FE games on the Switch (Awakening, Fates and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, the last of which is already a HD remake of Gaiden, ironically enough.) They're probably not going to, but I'd pleasantly surprised if they did. Those three are rather important as not only was Awakening responsible for the franchise not dying, but all three are important steps in the evolution of Fire Emblem's gameplay. Awakening introduced casual mode to the US (It was already in FE12, but that was Japan-Exclusive), Fates introduced having multiple stories that exist entirely separate from each other and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia introduced the new combat system and undoing turns.

I'd say that they should just put Virtual Console on the Switch and put all the old FE games there, but unfortunately they're focused on a different model for re-releases now.

I think Fire Emblem Sacred Stones had two different paths with Eirika and Ephraim's story, so it did that before Fates, but it didn't branch out that much, and it's pretty obscure.

Well, here's hoping that the HD re-release or something like that will happen. Otherwise you'll have the situation of Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance which need to be emulated, especially sad with the amount of work put into both of those games.

I'm already making up a list of what to salvage from the stores:

Wii U:

MegaMan Battle network 3
Mario & Luigi superstar saga (original had best graphics change my mind)
MegaMan & Bass
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
Smash bros fighter DLC
Shantae DLC (i know it's cheaper to go with the definitive edition but i have my edition on the WiiU so i'm sailing this sinking ship to the end)

3DS:

Mario land 1 and 2
Mario land 3: Wario land

If anyone has some other good ideas i'm always open for them.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!