Forums / Media / Video Games

38,605 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

RimWorld Biotech Expansion & Update 1.4 Concerns

Last posted Oct 09, 2022 at 01:25AM EDT. Added Oct 05, 2022 at 06:29PM EDT
6 posts from 4 users

I love playing RimWorld and I love to use mods for RimWorld, but I am concerned about the upcoming DLC and 1.4 Update that was just announced. I have notice some people on steam critiquing it. For example, a commenter on the steam activity discussion said:

"Being someone who kickstarted when the project was barely off the ground as a concept, and now seeing mods blatantly copied. It hurts me that a large majority of the community are just ok with this. I can't even make a good argument anymore with how demoralizing it is to see.

You're really ok with paying more money for an already expensive game that rarely goes on sale? What do you get out of defending that? Tynan could have at the very least priced his DLC reasonably but even then, they usually cost more than 50% of the base game itself."

I am concerned with how the development of this game is going. The DLC content is kind of bothering me. On one hand, the DLC looks interesting. The other hand, I can just use mods rather than having to pay for the content.

To be honest I fail to see the issue.

Sure, I guess one can make the point that this DLC isn't that original and that there's already mods around that add kids, playable mechs, and demihumans. But these aren't exactly novel ideas either, and there's such a plethora of mods out there that any official DLC is bound to tread into territory that has already been touched by one mod or another. There is nothing new under the sun, especially for such a popular game that has been out and modded for almost a decade by now.

I too would prefer to pay less for it and its DLCs (who wouldn't?), but the game is good and sells anyway, so from a business perspective I understand why Tynan doesn't sell it on a discount. Personally, RimWorld is a game I can enjoy for hundreds of hours. Paying 17 bucks like once a year for some new content for it won't kill me. Its not like Tynan's spamming DLCs like Paradox or so.

Since you've already got mods that do what this DLC does just fine, you can simply ignore it and don't buy it.

Nigel the treasure hunter wrote:

To be honest I fail to see the issue.

Sure, I guess one can make the point that this DLC isn't that original and that there's already mods around that add kids, playable mechs, and demihumans. But these aren't exactly novel ideas either, and there's such a plethora of mods out there that any official DLC is bound to tread into territory that has already been touched by one mod or another. There is nothing new under the sun, especially for such a popular game that has been out and modded for almost a decade by now.

I too would prefer to pay less for it and its DLCs (who wouldn't?), but the game is good and sells anyway, so from a business perspective I understand why Tynan doesn't sell it on a discount. Personally, RimWorld is a game I can enjoy for hundreds of hours. Paying 17 bucks like once a year for some new content for it won't kill me. Its not like Tynan's spamming DLCs like Paradox or so.

Since you've already got mods that do what this DLC does just fine, you can simply ignore it and don't buy it.

Thanks for your insight. When the Royalty DLC was released, I tried to avoid buying it for a while since I thought it didn't fit RimWorld (in my opinion). But when the Ideology DLC came, which caught my interest, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase both. I barley gave Royalty a chance and played with Ideology for three months until I switched back to base game modded without DLC. When the Biotech DLC announcement came today, I was wondering if I really wanted to purchase another DLC that I was only going to use for a short while. I already use mods such as Children School & Learning, Babies & Children, and What The Hack. However, I am interested in how Tynan will handle children and hacking mechanoids in the game.

Honestly, I might just wait after the Biotech DLC is released and see YouTube gameplay of it. Thank you Nigel.

Well, the (theoretically) nice thing about these features now being official, means that the official developers are under more pressure to make sure said features work properly. As for the modders, I guess it probably sucks to have your ideas used without(?) credit.

I'm a little concerned about things being overcomplicated, mods being copied is whatever as it's already been pointed out that there's so much mod content (unlike Phoenix Point) that any official content is going to copy something else, of course, i'd say Tynan should hire some of the more prolific creators to make something big.

That aside, with the potential for child femboy slave soldiers I'm worried about it being banned in Australia. Again.

Ergonomic Chair wrote:

I'm a little concerned about things being overcomplicated, mods being copied is whatever as it's already been pointed out that there's so much mod content (unlike Phoenix Point) that any official content is going to copy something else, of course, i'd say Tynan should hire some of the more prolific creators to make something big.

That aside, with the potential for child femboy slave soldiers I'm worried about it being banned in Australia. Again.

You and LesserAngel bring up a good point about mod creators. I do hope Tynan acknowledges them at least.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!