Forums / Media / Video Games

38,629 total conversations in 2,701 threads

+ New Thread

What games are you most hyped for in 2023?

Last posted Feb 15, 2023 at 06:02AM EST. Added Jan 26, 2023 at 06:36AM EST
15 posts from 14 users

What games are you looking forward to play this year?
Here's my list:

Sea of stars: Chrono trigger hommage from the creators of The Messenger. They managed to reel in the composer for Chrono trigger and created some of the most gorgeous pixel-art i've ever seen in a game

Mina the Hollower: old school Zelda meets Dark Souls meets Castlevania all in a GBC aesthetic developed by the guys from Shovel Knight.

Hollow Knight: Silksong: I don't think i need to say anything about this one, at this point i hope it will release at least this year

Tears of The Kingdom: we FINALLY have a release date and a name for this game. After 2 years of clown mode the light is at the end of the tunnel…

For new games, I have Armored Core VI and…that's pretty much it. Although honestly my hype for it has been brutally savaged after playing Elden Ring and Persona 5; both highly acclaimed and widely popular installments of two previously-niche series that I love--both I disliked, to put it nicely.

Off the top of my head, I'm mostly hyped for remakes: Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life, Dokapon Kingdom Connect, and Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe.

Tears of the Kingdom seems alright, being a sequel of BotW and all, but…honestly, I need to see what the world is like first because exploring the same one that BotW had is in no way going to grab me, even if they did add some floating islands.

Hmm, you got two of them on your list. Thankfully, i got plenty more.
My list

Phantom Fury: This game give me early 2000s vibes and that a good thing

Clive 'N' Wrench: Love me some scrimblos, plus this dev been working on this, for a decade now!

Broken Roads: CRPG set in post-apocalypse Australia. Color me intrigued.

Mondealy Undertale but more furry and no combat (I really tried guys…)

The Plucky Squire Best game shown at last year Devolver Digital.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 I wonder what kinda twist and turn will take place here?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl: Eastern Europe games have this charm to them you know?

SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake: Always ready to set sail with Spongebob and crew! (even if he starting to get on his age)

Last edited Jan 26, 2023 at 10:45AM EST

Dead Space remake: As of making this comment it's actually releasing tomorrow but yeah I'm pretty hyped for it. It looks like Motive managed to create a remake similar in style to the Resident Evil remakes, by staying true to what people liked about the originals while still adding enough new to surprise long time fans (like Isaac's voice actor from Dead Space 2 and 3 returns so we get to hear him interact with the cast and environment of the first game more overtly [he was a silent protag in the original 2008 version], and experiencing memorable scenes in new ways like the introduction of the Infector necromorph in the morgue feels like a "call forward" to the opening of Dead Space 2 with how it plays out in the remake).

Hogwarts Legacy: Yeah I may not care for JK Rowling herself nowadays but she has no involvement in this game anyway. Basically looks like the Harry Potter game I always wanted, getting to role play as my own OC in Hogwarts, attending classes, getting assigned to a house and helping earn points for them, learn spells, and go on the kind of magical adventures Harry and co went on in the books and movies. Some of the earlier HP games did have these sorts of elements too, but this time your character is your own creation so it feels like it'll be a more personal narrative in a familiar universe.

Atomic Heart: Looks like it's basically "Soviet Bioshock" and that's fine by me. Action looks like it plays well, the visual style is neat, and hey it'll be good to hear another Mick Gordon soundtrack after he infamously got screwed over by Marty Stratton. It's coming to GamePass day 1 so I'll be able to play it that way too.

Like a Dragon: Ishin!: I always hoped both or at least one of the "historical fiction" Yakuza spinoffs would come to the West one day, and finally it's happening. It'd be cool if we got "Kenzan!" as well eventually, but from what I've heard from people who imported Ishin's original release (and could read Japanese) it sounds like I'll be in for a great time with just this one.

Clive 'n Wrench: Basically a new 3D platformer that harkens back to Banjo-Kazooie, and as someone who still loves old fashioned 3D platformers of course I'm excited for this one.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe: Confession time: I actually missed out on the original Wii release of this game and by the time I could buy it back then the prices it was selling for new became a bit absurd (this was back when I was still in college and didn't have a job). Now with a shiny new remake I'll get to experience one of the Kirby games I unintentionally missed out on a decade ago.

Octopath Traveler 2: It's sort of a given at this point I'll buy anything from Square's Team Asano, they're really helping to keep the "AAA old school big budget JRPG" alive.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty: Newest game from Team Ninja, more specifically the team that did the Nioh series. It's basically "Nioh 3" in all but name as one major change is rather than being set in feudal Japan it's set in ancient China during the Three Kingdoms era. Team Ninja has really been doing a great job carving their own niche into the "soulsbourne" formula (going for a heavier emphasis on action), and plus this one is also coming to GamePass on day 1.

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse: You don't know how damn excited I got to see this game is FINALLY being localized to the West (and remastered too) after a decade and a half of waiting. This is the entry that Suda51 helped work on and it always annoyed me that Nintendo of America didn't bother touching this entry specifically (supposedly it was due to disputes over bugs in the game that NoA demanded be fixed before starting localization and who would pony up the cash to pay for the bug fixes, with neither Nintendo nor Koei-Tecmo budging), so to see I can finally play an official release of this game I've been wanting to play since I was 18 is a dream come true.

I'll stop there for now as I really could go on, and probably will later, but this is just covering Q1, and the fact it's already got this many games I'm hyped for really speaks volumes for 2023 to be a good year.

Dead Space Remake I was a big fan of the franchise, even read some of the novels which were quite fun, so I was understandably very upset when EA killed it and Visceral Games to boot. Now that the Remake is upon us (as Fortune said it's out tomorrow) and already getting glowing reviews, I'm happy to see a beloved survival-horror series successfully resurrected. This will be a day 1 buy.

Jedi: Survivor Not a fan of Stars War to be honest, but I was pleasantly surprised with Fallen Order homage to Dark Souls and more so that it was done very well. It's certainly one of the better Souls-like out there and a genuinely fun adventure game, I anticipate the same for the sequel.

Like a Dragon Ishin Love Yakuza, love historical-dramas, not much more to say.

Some games that are on my Radar, but a little iffy on.

RE4 Remake
Company of Heroes 3
Sons of the Forest
Dead Island 2
Assassin's Creed Mirage

I guess the closest thing to an upcoming game I'm hyped for is Payday 3, but even then I don't know whether I'll get it after it comes out. I already have the game it's a sequel to, after all.

Is it weird that I'm rarely hyped for anything? Not even Elden Ring, even though I enjoyed Dark Souls: Remastered and 3 (it helps that I'm not even done with the trilogy yet). I usually just stick to the games I happen to know already.

Adding to my previous post: there was one game I had forgotten about for reasons, and the game isn't out quite yet so it still qualifies for this thread, right?

Wild Hearts

Toukiden--rest its soul--is my favourite MonHun-likes of the bunch, and Wild Hearts looks very reminiscent of it, which should make sense considering it's the same devs.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!