Forums / Media / Video Games

38,860 total conversations in 2,723 threads

+ New Thread

Concord flopped so bad that Sony's already pulling the plug on it this Friday (September 6)

Last posted Sep 11, 2024 at 01:16PM EDT. Added Sep 03, 2024 at 12:23PM EDT
20 posts from 17 users

Source

Holy shit that was fast. I feel sorry for the devs who were more or less forced to make this game by the execs, but man Sony fumbled so hard with this game. Coincidentally it's going offline the same day Astro Bot launches (please support Astro Bot, we need to tell Sony we want them to bring back the game variety they used to have in the PS2 days).

By-the-by it should be noted they are going to refund anyone who bought it digitally, so hey at least they have the courtesy to do that much.

I COULD SEE IT AS YOU TURNED TO STONE
STILL CLEARLY I CAN HEAR YOU SAY
"DON'T LEAVE, DON'T GIVE UP ON ME"
TWO WEEKS, YOU RAN AWAY

but seriously, I feel so fucking crushed for the devs who had to waste nearly a full decade of their lives slaving away on this. almost makes me hope there's a 1983 remaster coming down the pike, because this industry can't keep going in the direction it's headed.

Pokanika wrote:

I don't think I've seen a game get shut down this quickly since The Day Before and that game was a scam that lasted for a month.

Yeah, with the tie in media that was planned it seems Sony really did expect more success. Actual people spent years of their lives working on this game.

That has to be demoralizing.

This game only felt like it became relevant after it bombed. Not one person I know of even talked about it and I didn't even know it existed until it was shut down. Even Battleborne lasted longer than this.

There are so many Moba like shooters that have failed in recent years I'm surprised anyone is really trying to make them anymore. Deadlock seems to be doing fine for now even though the game hasn't even been announced or properly released.

On one hand, I do pity Firewalk who sunked 8 years worth of manhours into a title that was utterly rejected by the market. Even the most critical of Concord generally agree that it's a serviceable, albeit generic, and well polished game underneath. Which in this day and age is saying a lot.

On the other hand, I would be lying if I didn't have a tinge of schadenfreude seeing another cynical AAA venture into Live-Service completely fall flat on its ass. That opinion piece from PC Gamer lamenting the gleeful attitude from gamers to Concord's demise didn't convince me otherwise. "Your carbon copy hero shooter designed to ultimately fleece players wallets with predatory practices for years on end in an already saturated market didn't catch on?"

Well,

You know, maybe Sony could learn one thing or two from this failure:
Instead of chasing trends like, live service games with bloated budgets and time development; you could work on your pre-established IPs, like God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn, to attract people to play your games (and even buy your console). Hey! That new Astro Boy game looks fun and the main character has more SVOL than Concord's entire rooster.

And if that doesn't work, you could bring old IPs from the PS3/PS4/Vita to your new console, o hell! Why not port them to the PC too?! Ain't a professional game developer, but I'm pretty sure it would easy to port a game like Bloodborne into PS5 hardware and even run it on modern PC rigs. Imagine finally play Bloodborne without the limitations of PS4!

Sarcasm aside, I'm worried about those remakes of Metal Gear Solid 3 and Silent Hill 2, specially the latter, which the most recent trailer didn't bring much expectation about it.

Imma be honest here, outside of a few reviewers I watch and a Destiny YouTuber getting a sponsored video to cover it, I haven’t even seen any real advertising for Concord whatsoever. No ads on YouTube, no random pop up ads on here or Reddit, not even any random ads on Spotify or while I’m browsing Instagram. This game had zero advertising or marketing whatsoever and it’s both impressive and concerning this game plopped out, got dunked on for barely 2 weeks then had the plug pulled.

Also a lot anti woke shit being pumped out about this game. The game is just very mid and came out during the worst time, it has nothing to do with “Da Woke DEI” buzzwords.

i still remember when i was watching a streamer who was reviewing whichever game award show had the concord trailer in it, and everyone in the chat just fucking deflated when it was revealed it was just an overwatch clone. looking back on it, that was pretty funny.

shame the game couldn't have been an original idea though, that short they showed off before revealing the gameplay actually looked pretty interesting

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!