Forums / Media / Websites

2,605 total conversations in 249 threads

+ New Thread

Is Youtube on Firefox completely unsable for anyone else?

Last posted Sep 01, 2024 at 04:20AM EDT. Added Aug 28, 2024 at 10:01AM EDT
16 posts from 11 users

Unusable* TYPO IN THE TITLE
For me, even since yesterday evening, Youtube has been lagging like crazy on Firefox!
- Getting constantly "This site is slowing down Firefox"
- Takes too long to load the UI.
- Lagspikes on Ram & CPU.
- Laggy UI in general.

I guess those Rumors that Google is sabotaging youtube on non-chrome based browsers were true after all!

Looks like I'm gonna start using Invidious after all to watch/listen to videos!

Last edited Aug 28, 2024 at 10:03AM EDT

The only problem I've been having is that occasionally I would get the screen saying I'm offline. Whenever that doesn't happen, it's been working fine. Funny thing is that Google's main page has also had a problem loading. I would try clicking to go there on my pinned sites, and it just wouldn't load. With enough repeated clicks, however, I'd manage to finally get on.

I've had YT outright freeze and crash Firefox at least four times now over the past six months, alongside the issues Oclaf's mentioned, but the past month or so is when I've noticed it really starting to get out of hand. It's really random, too. Sometimes I'll open a single tab on YT and it'll double my RAM usage and then I'll close it and reopen the exact same video in a new window and it'll barely use more RAM than Firefox already was without YT.

Was experiencing problems on my end beginning yesterday but it seemed like it just cleared up within the last hour or so.

Last edited Aug 28, 2024 at 04:58PM EDT

Firefox user. Addblock does on occasion fail on youtube and I'll get that stupid message of theirs to disable it. But it's so infrequent and easy to circumvent by hammering f5 key repeatedly until it goes away for good while, couple of days at least.

I think this is a good opportunity to mention how Piped's holding up at the moment, as in not very well. YT has seriously committed to burning it down and the community is really giving it their all to effectively combat that. Right now it's nearly impossible to find a working instance thanks to YT's bs.
Worst thing is most of the discussion in the forums/issues (including potential fixes) involves TONS of code jargon, none of which I could possibly comprehend. So I can't even keep up with what they're saying a third or half of the time and am just left to assume they know what they're doing.
Invidious also got swung at while back, but they successfully escaped YT's grasp for now.
If only YT was this persistent about OTHER things happening on their siteā€¦

The issue has resolved thankfully! For now!
From what I understand the issue was from Youtube's end that negatively affected Firefox, the rolled back the update to resolve the issue!

Seems Youtube added a new feature too, the Sleeper Timer

Wilm210 wrote:

Firefox user. Addblock does on occasion fail on youtube and I'll get that stupid message of theirs to disable it. But it's so infrequent and easy to circumvent by hammering f5 key repeatedly until it goes away for good while, couple of days at least.

What ad blocker are you using? I use uBlock Origin and other than a problem with ads getting through a few weeks ago (which was fixed in minutes by the devs), it's been working like a charm for months.

TheHolyEmpress wrote:

What ad blocker are you using? I use uBlock Origin and other than a problem with ads getting through a few weeks ago (which was fixed in minutes by the devs), it's been working like a charm for months.

Adblock Plus. It use to be much worse earlier in the year after Google began their crusade against adblockers. It was practically unusable then, but updates have gotten it mostly back to speed. I'll give Ublock Origin a try.

Wilm210 wrote:

Adblock Plus. It use to be much worse earlier in the year after Google began their crusade against adblockers. It was practically unusable then, but updates have gotten it mostly back to speed. I'll give Ublock Origin a try.

I definitely recommend it, the devs are active on Reddit and are super fast when fixing issues. One thing to note is that you should disable ABP at least on YouTube while using uBO so it doesn't trigger detection. But if you have problems, I recommend checking this Reddit thread, or drop me a message and I'll see if I can help.

Last edited Aug 29, 2024 at 10:12PM EDT

Oclaf wrote:

Unusable* TYPO IN THE TITLE
For me, even since yesterday evening, Youtube has been lagging like crazy on Firefox!
- Getting constantly "This site is slowing down Firefox"
- Takes too long to load the UI.
- Lagspikes on Ram & CPU.
- Laggy UI in general.

I guess those Rumors that Google is sabotaging youtube on non-chrome based browsers were true after all!

Looks like I'm gonna start using Invidious after all to watch/listen to videos!

The last sentence isn't something that I can agree with.
Like, there's no real reason to wait until YT successfully purges all ad blockers from it's platform before switching or at least giving a chance to Invidious and (once it gets better) Piped, or whatever else comes along in case those go under too.

'lo! You must login or signup first!