Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Why are the Asperger's Syndrome/Autism memes off of this website?

Last posted Jun 25, 2011 at 01:21AM EDT. Added Jun 24, 2011 at 08:30AM EDT
19 posts from 15 users

Instead of saying "Of course it's memetic, nobody said it wasn't!" You should be demonstrating why it IS memetic. As far as I know it is simply a condition which some people have, not a concept that propagates through the minds of those who encounter it.

I hid one particular article because it was written in a way that was more offensive than it needed to be. While jokes about aspergers/autistm as memes are perfectly valid entries for the site (provided enough evidence), whoever decides to write the article should do as objectively as possible. Obviously, the database has a number of memes that could be offensive to anybody. We just have to make sure to handle it right.

Yeah, I agree with brad. It needed to focus on it's usage in internet culture.
Though I do think in a lot of cases where something is deemed "offensive", the people offended aren't the ones targeted. I have Asperger's and wasn't offended by the entry, but many other people (who I presume do not have Autism) were.
Is there a name for this phenomenon? Ironic political correctness is the best I can come up with.

Last edited Jun 24, 2011 at 04:23PM EDT

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

They're offensive, sure, but how are they not memes?

I see it referenced on /b/ and Canv.as and the like all the time.

just because someone says something about Autism on /b/ doesn't make Autism a meme. They were probably hating on them anyway. It's called the Internet Hate Machine for a reason.

yea as i mentioned on a comment on the entry that it seems aspie is more of a weird net culture thing to people like 4channers ect then a disorder. So people who dont know what AS is may get the wrong idea about what it is. Instead of them thinking its a form of autism they will think its some social retarded freaks or something. Personally im not really offended by it it wasnt really that mean….Id just dont want someone who doesnt know what AS is to learn that its some weird freak or something bc of who its portray on the net often. and yes as you prob seen me mention im an aspie as well.

Any Azumanga Daioh fans? I always wondered if Sakaki was aspie she has some characteristics of it. Yes she has the social akwardness and her love of cats. Many aspies have special interests and obsessions. Also it seems she has some social anxiety in the show, well more like self esteem issues like she is happy with herself. Surprisingly some people said Osaka may be aspie as well but not so sure about that one…i read it some where on a aspie chat forum ill post the link: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt83564.html
also it does mention Sakaki as well. Yes a tad off topic of the thread but i though it was interesting to mention that.

Ashley Rodriguez wrote:

yea as i mentioned on a comment on the entry that it seems aspie is more of a weird net culture thing to people like 4channers ect then a disorder. So people who dont know what AS is may get the wrong idea about what it is. Instead of them thinking its a form of autism they will think its some social retarded freaks or something. Personally im not really offended by it it wasnt really that mean….Id just dont want someone who doesnt know what AS is to learn that its some weird freak or something bc of who its portray on the net often. and yes as you prob seen me mention im an aspie as well.

Aspie here too.

You know, I feel like there are an awful lot of aspies on the Internet; I wonder if there's something about this form of communication that's preferable for aspies, or if the Internet is turning us into aspies? Or maybe I imagine it all?

Edit to add: I was going to add something about how I tend to dislike the term "aspie" since it look like "ass pie" to me. Then I went to Google a clever image to illustrate…and somehow ran into blue waffle's near cousin. WTF? There's no such thing as "safe search".

Last edited Jun 25, 2011 at 01:02AM EDT

Look, I used to be within the spectrum enough to be considered to have Aperger's Syndrome, but since I've simply become your basic recluse. It has nothing to do with the internet. The net is just the most dominant form of communication these days is all. At lest, that's my take on it. To be honest I really don't think it really warrants mentioning. I've just never seen any of this alleged culture surrounding it. Ever.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!