Forums / Discussion / General

232,834 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

So you want a cure for Pony Fever...

Last posted Jul 12, 2011 at 01:34PM EDT. Added Jul 09, 2011 at 02:20AM EDT
74 posts from 40 users

Bronies, I think that 9,000 images is more than is necessary for this website. I remember how I felt when I was first introduced to the show back in early March. It was a glorious and wonderful breath of fresh air to the stale world of memes. Now, it has been overplayed, overused and overdone. We are at stage 2 of the 4 stages of a fad meme: overexposure. If you really want people to love and tolerate the pony memes and everything, you must let it pass through to stage 4: equilibrium. Everybody's happy, everybrony's happy, because we will have reached an acceptable amount of pony on KYM.

Let me first explain this bizarre MLP phenomenon by relating it to an addiction, or a habit. If you want to stop or reduce a habit, you must replace it with something else. You like MLP? Try some other cartoons. It really helped me get over MLP. I replaced it with other equally good cartoons. Just try a few of these out and keep an open mind the same way you did when you first watched MLP:

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends

A show about a foster home that houses imaginary friends that their owners no longer want. The show is much better than it sounds.

Fairly Odd Parents

A ten year old boy has fairy godparents that grant him almost any wish he wants. Very good show.

Phineas and Ferb

Two brothers wanting to make the most of their summer by doing crazy projects that inexplicably disappear before their parents get home.

If you've seen these before (and are tired of them), might I suggest you go back to older cartoons you used to watch when you were younger. I myself went on a Magic School Bus marathon that brought back good memories.

I guess I wanted to write this because I want you guys to back off a little. MLP is a good show, but you are really limiting yourself if you think it's the only good show out there. Other artists want to be appreciated for the hard work they put into their shows. Besides, I'm sure KYM is long overdue for a pony break.

Watch Phineas and Ferb. Its the best thing ever.
I've seen the Fairly Odd parents, a lot. Its just not my cup of tea.
Never seen Foster's Home, but I hear it is really good. Just never had it come on the TV so I never got a sample of it to go off on. Maybe I will seek out some episodes online this weekend.

Here is my response to this:

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends:

Fun show to watch for maybe the first season and a half. Then Bloo becomes a total douche and an absolutely terrible character who's a dick to be a dick.

Fairly Odd Parents:

It's alright, for the first few seasons or so.

Phineas and Ferb:

Meh.

Those examples I have are simply some that I've enjoyed at one time or another. It's not for everyone. Generally, the main reason I watch these is because these are cartoons my 12 year old sister likes and I like to spend time with her every once in a while. Some people like Spongebob, some like TMNT, some like Adventure Time, etc. I'm just requesting we try something new or different. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much you begin to like something that you haven't ever tried or haven't put much thought into before.

Also, you can find just about anything on Youtube if you look hard enough. That's how I was able to watch Reboot after not seeing the show for almost a decade.

Last edited Jul 09, 2011 at 02:59AM EDT

Fosters Home. Good times. The it came to an end with some final episode and it never came on again…

Instead I watch Ed Edd and Eddy. Now that is something.

And Kalmo: Nice choice. BoBoBo is pretty awesome.

Last edited Jul 09, 2011 at 10:57AM EDT

Foster's Home was the best show ever. It never got old. Y'all should watch it. Also, Lauren Faust (from MLP) worked on it.

Also, the ponies reached Overexposure months ago.

I barely even watch MLP. I just like the bronies.
And good luck curing KYM. Its shocking how so many people don't want to give up a thing that entertains them because someone is upset that people like something they don't. Really, how insensitive of us!

I agree with it's too much.

I think all memes are becoming stale because nobody's paying attention to them.

You gotta know how to keep a balance…. I mean there's a page on furries, also a subcommunity… and it has FurAffinity… But nobody uploads that site's entire contents to here.

I think the ponies are the internet's first true cancer.

Invader Zim is one of my favorites, i'm just sad that they cancelled it :,(
And the chances that someone will write a cupcakes story for Gir like they did with Pinkie Pie.

Last edited Jul 09, 2011 at 11:57AM EDT

Foster Home for Imaginary Friends: guuuuuuuuddd tiiiiimmmmeeess. Originality all the way around, why did it had to end.
Fairly Odd Parents: The Mexican dub is just obnoxious. They have squeaky voices and just make the show look stupid.
Phineas and Ferb: Here, it is the best they got on Disney Channel. However it its aired so many times a day that is plain annoying.

MLP: Just had watched one episode, out of sheer curiosity.

If I had to choose it would be Foster's

JUST SAYIN!

I am disappointed in all of you for not posting this yet.

Foster's is the only one I enjoyed being a kid out of that list, along with Ren and Stimpy.

Last edited Jul 09, 2011 at 01:35PM EDT

Regular Show is good at points, if you can get past a lot of the "YEEEAAAUH" stuff and what-not.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 can be funny, especially if you know a lot about the 70s, 80s, and 90s (though it's not exactly required.) It also has a lot of episodes on DVD and a couple of "continuations" in the form of Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax. The short below is one of my favorites:

Freakazoid, as mentioned above, is awesome.

… there's a lot of other shows I enjoyed, but I forgot some of them.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir when I'm saying this because generally, everyone on the forums have regained their sanity about the show. Trying to post on the FIM page is pretty much pointless because they don't seem to care anyway. Out of those 9,000 images, I probably could find 1,000-2,000 good images. Lately, it seems like the picture uploads mostly involve garbage like this:

It really detracts from the memetic qualities of the show. Can we regulate who has permission to post on these articles? At least we would have some sort of quality control on that page. I know that this is a user generated content website, but at least in this case it might be a good idea.

Back to the favorite cartoons topic, Rocko's Modern Life and King of the Hill were awesome!

+1 everyone for awesome cartoons. :)

I recently got into this ridiculous Belgian stop-motion series, A Town Called Panic (Panique Au Village). If you like manic, nonsensical humor, it's pretty great. The show centers around a sort of "family" of a Horse (who's like the dad), a cowboy, and an Indian. Their names are Horse, Cowboy, and Indian. There's also a feature length movie available to see on Neflix Instant Watch, which is pretty hilarious. I highly recommend watching it in French, especially if you don't speak it. The insanity multiplies if you don't really know what they're saying.

What I liked were The Simpsons (until it started to get old) Family Guy (until it started to get less funny) KotH (until they stopped making new episodes) The Office (until I saw them all) right now it's all about Futurama with me. I just recently started watching the show, so I haven't seen all the classic moments yet, but I will!
And yes, I know The Office isn't a cartoon, but it's still funny and entertaining. Oh Dwight, you ignorant slut.

My favorite show is actually Futurama, which is everything the simpsons used to be and more. Following that is Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who. Other then that, there's nothing good on television these days.
Of course, none of these are cartoons save Futurama, but I don't really watch cartoons these days.

Alright. I decided that I would use the mightiest of mankind's creations to find the cure to pony fever: Google.
Unfortunately, this thread was the only cure found.
So I guess the cure for pony fever is nostalgia threads/krama whroeing?

They used to say that the youngsters in the U.K. would take drugs and watch Teletubbies. My wife and I watched an episode and decided: If you have Teletubbies, you don't need drugs. But be careful, it could lead to the hard stuff:

I can tell you from personal experience that a bad acid trip is very similar to being stuck for ten hours on this website: http://www.boohbah.tv/zone.html

Non-anime Pony cure? Almost any animated series of the 80's and 90's. So awesome those would be censored today. A stronger cure? Disney works from 80 years ago, and still way better than most of today's American silliness.

I could include anime, but the list would not be enough for one single post.

Last edited Jul 10, 2011 at 12:03AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

Arcadian, I've seen all 3 of those, unfortunately. I really disliked all 3 of them.

Same here.

And Arcadian: screw that son of a bitch show Adventure Time.

SilverMonGoose wrote:

I am disappointed in all of you for not posting this yet.

Foster's is the only one I enjoyed being a kid out of that list, along with Ren and Stimpy.

Freakazoid FTW. whistles freakazoid opening theme… "FreakaZoid, Chimpanzee…"*

Back on topic. Yes MLP is totally overused, heck now TF2 is FULL of bronies. completely annoying, everyday there's at least ten people singing MLP song, i mute them of course, happens to be plain annoying to waste 2-10 seconds to mute a player on each server, yes so little time but it IS annoying. I mean, it got old already at first it was like "Haha, rather funny" now it's like "God damnit you really got to make a MLP reference every damn 5 seconds?!"

If i were to replace MLP fever with something i'd replace with either street fighter related stuff (OF COURSE!) fatal fury, DB (also DBZ) since it's over 9000, and of course freakazoid.

in the end though, most overused stuff ends being annoying, even if they are cool to some extent.

so at some point people will go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9Fa2UrDAk&feature=related

(having a bit of trouble embeding vids :P)

Last edited Jul 10, 2011 at 03:12AM EDT

Kasumi Kenshiro wrote:

Freakazoid FTW. whistles freakazoid opening theme… "FreakaZoid, Chimpanzee…"*

Back on topic. Yes MLP is totally overused, heck now TF2 is FULL of bronies. completely annoying, everyday there's at least ten people singing MLP song, i mute them of course, happens to be plain annoying to waste 2-10 seconds to mute a player on each server, yes so little time but it IS annoying. I mean, it got old already at first it was like "Haha, rather funny" now it's like "God damnit you really got to make a MLP reference every damn 5 seconds?!"

If i were to replace MLP fever with something i'd replace with either street fighter related stuff (OF COURSE!) fatal fury, DB (also DBZ) since it's over 9000, and of course freakazoid.

in the end though, most overused stuff ends being annoying, even if they are cool to some extent.

so at some point people will go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9Fa2UrDAk&feature=related

(having a bit of trouble embeding vids :P)

Really? I was thinking of playing TF2 again, but now…

I'll just add this here….

(And remember, if you think that Making Fiends is dumb, just remember your favorite show is about a purple pony who goes around girl-paradise making friends with everyone…. So there).

Olivia Gulin wrote:

+1 everyone for awesome cartoons. :)

I recently got into this ridiculous Belgian stop-motion series, A Town Called Panic (Panique Au Village). If you like manic, nonsensical humor, it's pretty great. The show centers around a sort of "family" of a Horse (who's like the dad), a cowboy, and an Indian. Their names are Horse, Cowboy, and Indian. There's also a feature length movie available to see on Neflix Instant Watch, which is pretty hilarious. I highly recommend watching it in French, especially if you don't speak it. The insanity multiplies if you don't really know what they're saying.

You made me nostalgia'd hard.

Troll Face, Anti-Brony! wrote:

I am sick of the pony nonsense. Can't you guys last a couple miliseconds without making a pony reference/posting ponys?

…….

…….

I don't get it.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies…
JK, shows I like, South Park, Futurama, Freakasoid, Animaniacs… and internet insanity such as anything done by Jason Steele and David Firth.

MDFification wrote:

Lol, haters.

Remember when they could come up with an original or insightful arguement? Neither can I.

I don't think there is ever an argument you can't counter.

Some of the bronies I see seem to only like the show because it "makes them feel good". Which I guess I'm fine with, but it seems a little weird just to like something because you just like something. Seems like rather circular logic.

Then there's "I like the colors", or "I actually giggle at this stuff" or "The faces are hilarious!" and whatnot, but that's an entirely different argument I don't want to bring up, since humor is subjective and the color thing I have no idea how to approach.

I absolutely do not care what you like AS LONG AS it doesn't carry you to the depths of "obsession". And by that I mean the kind where you can't go 5 minutes (or 2 forum posts) without mentioning some sort of thing involving it. Actually, no, that's not really obsession, that's just "sad." Or Socially Awkward Penguin.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

lol, he just compared FiM to fairy odd parents and home for imaginary friends….

oh OP you are so funny…

although i do agree with, MLP is addicting!

Last edited Jul 10, 2011 at 05:20PM EDT

How? Easy.
BECOME A FURRY!!!!
Oh, and in case you didn't notice, they are two different groups.
They even had a war…..

Original page here.

Last edited Jul 10, 2011 at 06:19PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!