Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Help Me KYM, I'm so derpy!

Last posted Jul 10, 2011 at 03:21AM EDT. Added Jul 09, 2011 at 04:45PM EDT
13 posts from 8 users

Okay, today I went to Gamestop and bought Portal 2 with my hard earned money- dear god was I excited. I walk into my room, log into my MacBook and put the disk in, install the game, and wait… for a few minutes… a few turned into a lot. And then I realized that even when I clicked the Portal 2 icon, nothing happens. After playing the 1st portal I was excited as hell to play this, will I now not be able to? Just so you all know, this is the first game I will run on my Mac. Does anyone know what's going on? First I was jizzing my pants out of excitement, but now out of sadness.

Kalmo wrote:

Your first problem was having a Mac.

I've had a PC and a Mac, I prefer Macs as they can survive a very long time without having to reboot. I also prefer the Mac because I can run Windows natively with bootcamp. I'll give your system props for being easily customizable and fairly inexpensive, but everything else doesn't suit my tastes. The Mac's sleep system is incredibly reliable as well, so I know I'm not chewing up power when I leave it- this is also something PCs lack. I have also found that I can troubleshoot my Mac in a much easier fashion, but that isn't very important. Filesharing is also much easier on my MBP. Aside from the technical aspects of the Mac I also think it looks better and more neat, with less blinking lights and a less shitty looking built in keyboard (if we're talking about laptops). I don't know if you've had both systems or not Kalmo, if you have I respect your opinion and hope you are not judging Macs based on their past product ventures. If you have not however I strongly suggest you try both…

Chris Menning wrote:

Actually, when they announced that Portal 2 was going to be released for Mac it was kind of a big deal.

Are you sure you've bought the Mac version?

I'm pretty sure, It says WIN/MAC on the front of the box directly next to the ERSB rating…

I've tried a mac before. It just feels awkward and all backwards, which is a very hard transition from the PC. Also the Mac isn't the most reliable with games, which could possibly be the problem.

Kalmo wrote:

I've tried a mac before. It just feels awkward and all backwards, which is a very hard transition from the PC. Also the Mac isn't the most reliable with games, which could possibly be the problem.

Yeah Macs do suck with games. That's one of the several drawbacks with Macs when you're really used to PCs. It does take some "getting used to," but once you get used to the layout, you'll learn to love them. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was flaming the PC either, in fact, I really like the fact that PCs are inexpensive, and run as well as any Mac you can find on the market.

It could be the version. I'm stuck with a 10.4.11 that I can't upgrade, and the box calls for something like 10.6.8? I can't remember. Anyways Mac=HUGE MISTAKE when it comes to games; take it from me, the sort who makes many.

SexyThang wrote:

Okay, today I went to Gamestop and bought Portal 2 with my hard earned money- dear god was I excited. I walk into my room, log into my MacBook and put the disk in, install the game, and wait… for a few minutes… a few turned into a lot. And then I realized that even when I clicked the Portal 2 icon, nothing happens. After playing the 1st portal I was excited as hell to play this, will I now not be able to? Just so you all know, this is the first game I will run on my Mac. Does anyone know what's going on? First I was jizzing my pants out of excitement, but now out of sadness.

I think the first order or business is a fresh pair of underwear. Just sayin'

As said before your first mistake was getting a mac… however, i suggest you uninstall the game and download it fully from steam since your key is valid there, if it won't work the problem is in your mac.
Then i suggest you get a PC that can run some games or a MAC that can run games if you got the budget. also, if you could run TF2 there'd be a good chance you could run Portal 2.

Why don't you post your mac specs here? we might help you.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!