But still…

1) Get sponsored
2) Place ads
3)??
4) PROFIT!!!

Looks at profile
23 days ago.

Last edited Nov 05, 2011 at 01:21AM EDT

The Chevrolet Sonic comes with a free Kalmo or Mellow.
But sometimes you get rapturjesus.
And sometimes you just get raptors.
All radio stations are somehow tuned to Rick Astley.
On Friday, all you get is Rebecca Black.
And on Saturday, all you get is Pinkie Pie.
As you get out of your car for any reason, Guile's Theme begins to play.
And before you get back in, you see 50 Cent staring at you from the driver's seat.
And before you can say anything, he starts to laugh at you before driving off.
And that's how I really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

But yeah, Fridge Logic basically has my thoughts on the matter. Whatever keeps the site running.

Verbose wrote:

And before you get back in, you see 50 Cent staring at you from the driver's seat.
And that's how I really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

But yeah, Fridge Logic basically has my thoughts on the matter. Whatever keeps the site running.

I just blank things out with a star or flag next to it, since I think its something else I've seen a thousand times, whoops.

I'm with Witch-King on this one. Long as they don't fuck up the site and continue pumping money into the coffers, and are prepared to deal with the backlash that's already happening, Ford can do whatever they want here.

Verbose wrote:

Not sure if worst car ever
or best car ever

Philip J. Fry wrote:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/chevy-sonic

Clearly the best.

"Oh for fuck sake KYM!
Get this shit out of here!
Sure we know u need money from sponsers but dont make i at the top of trending, dont fucking insert it into memes coz its obviously not helping.
A FUCKING CHEVY ON NYAN CAT DOES NOT MAKE US HAPPY!
you're going to ruin this site with these stuid fucking ads!
so how about this:
Run the ads maybe on the side or as a banner,
+1000000 Deadpool this fake ass meme,
DO NOT assosiate it with ANY meme unless its relevant
AND THEN you will have done it right!
DO NOT SELL OUT KYM
you're too good for it!" -Steven Christie

I'd also like to mention this should not be Chevy's fault, its who ever decided to put the ad on top of the article.

Last edited Nov 06, 2011 at 12:21AM EDT

Skitch the Wolf, KYM Community Pet wrote:

I was into KYM BEFORE it got sponsors.

But still…

1) Get sponsored
2) Place ads
3)??
4) PROFIT!!!

Last edited Nov 15, 2012 at 07:57PM EST

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

Please, for the love of good memes, take the Nyan cat with your car. I hope that stupid cat crashes.

…Are you happy now?

Sweatie Killer wrote:

"Oh for fuck sake KYM!
Get this shit out of here!
Sure we know u need money from sponsers but dont make i at the top of trending, dont fucking insert it into memes coz its obviously not helping.
A FUCKING CHEVY ON NYAN CAT DOES NOT MAKE US HAPPY!
you're going to ruin this site with these stuid fucking ads!
so how about this:
Run the ads maybe on the side or as a banner,
+1000000 Deadpool this fake ass meme,
DO NOT assosiate it with ANY meme unless its relevant
AND THEN you will have done it right!
DO NOT SELL OUT KYM
you're too good for it!" -Steven Christie

I'd also like to mention this should not be Chevy's fault, its who ever decided to put the ad on top of the article.

Don't be such a pissant, Sweatie. If the site needs this to keep running, we should just deal with it accordingly. Would you rather have this, or no site at all?

Fridge wrote:

Don't be such a pissant, Sweatie. If the site needs this to keep running, we should just deal with it accordingly. Would you rather have this, or no site at all?

I think he was simply quoting one of those many Facebook comments about it.
Anyway, he's still a communist bastard.

Dinner wrote:

How can you even do this?! I mean, seriously? What good has this done to us? Is anyone really gonna buy a car because the car apparently likes memes?

Nope. But people buy stuff all of the time because it's associated with a certain set of values. Look at Apple products. Sure, it's a decent line of stuff, it's great with artsy stuff, but most of it is about presentation. And if you look at a lot of hipsters with computers, you'll see that they are Macs.

Besides, KYM's concern isn't with whether people buy Sonic's or not. They get money for this regardless of the sales (there might be something varying that, but KYM will get money no matter what.) That's why KYM is doing it.

Chevy just wants to have a car associated with geeky stuff. I'm a grad student who will want to buy a car one day. And even though I don't think it'll be a Sonic…

I now know what a Chevy Sonic is. It's already in my consciousness. And if this campaign is able to work halfway properly (as it's doing now, just by looking at the discussion on a thread that isn't dead yet,) it will work its way into our collective consciousness as a subculture.

That's all they want. They have other ways of getting us to buy the car.

I'm not opposed to getting the car. If it's a decent car, why not? It's not that big of a deal one way or another. We need ads to function. Might as well be creative with it instead of boring me to death with the same blinking ads off to the side of the page.

Tomberry wrote:

I think he was simply quoting one of those many Facebook comments about it.
Anyway, he's still a communist bastard.

Me or him? Because I'm a communist bastard.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

I'm a Libertarian Nationalist Communist Humanitarian kinda guy, I'm flexible like that.

See? He's a communist bastard as well.

WTF, seriously? My picture was taken down? I can't believe that when censorship comes to KYM, it's based on possibly offending our sponsors. Besides, I don't think it was offensive.

Can anyone explain this to me?

(Edit to add Sweatie's response below)

Last edited Nov 15, 2012 at 08:02PM EST

Brucker wrote:

WTF, seriously? My picture was taken down? I can't believe that when censorship comes to KYM, it's based on possibly offending our sponsors. Besides, I don't think it was offensive.

Can anyone explain this to me?

(Edit to add Sweatie's response below)

No, I can't.
That was actually quite supportive of the advert in my personal opinion.

Last edited Nov 07, 2011 at 04:41PM EST

badsitrep wrote:

That last line was random as ballz.

There are like 3 conversations going on in IRC at all times, so it gets a bit confusing.

Either way the image is back up, back to thoughts on the advert.

Last edited Nov 07, 2011 at 07:55PM EST

Well, I'm glad that got resolved, because it was pretty lame. I must admit that the line "there was a couple of adolf hitlers" suggests that there was more to the story than Chevy not having a sense of humor. Nobody wants their product associated with Hitler (with the possible exception of Ford, but those jokes are really old).

So seriously, here are my thoughts on the ad campaign and its relation to the picture I posted.

Yeah, my picture was intended to be a bit of a ribbing of Chevy's ad campaign, but not in a hostile manner. Coincidentally, I've only made two jokes with hipster glasses before this one, and both of them are of individuals I highly respect:

The point of the "Hipster Chevy Sonic" was not just to be funny, but of course, to state an actual fact: the caption can be taken quite literally! And the smug sense of superiority that is the mark of the hipster meme is that the hipster is proud of having done something unique and new that later became commonplace. Chevy really is being a sort of "corporate hipster" by engaging in this campaign, and it's a bold move that is either going to be a big success or a huge failure.

Those of you that have read other tl;dr rants by me on this forum know that I'm no fan of corporate culture, but while I often consider myself a communist ideologically, I'm also a realist. KYM is a big website, and as much as we all wish the Internet to be "free," it is simply not the case. The reason that this site which I love and I assume most of you love--if only because it's a fun place to troll--is allowed to exist is because companies like Chevy (and indicated in banner ads, AT&T and iStockPhoto with that one picture that's apparently going to follow me around the Internet) are giving money to allow the people running it to continue to do so.

People are going to be pissed to have more ads on their beautiful website, and I understand that. However, we also need to understand that it's the reality of the capitalistic society in which we live that money drives everything. If some of that money is going to drive this website's continued existence, then I for one give thanks to Chevrolet for their funding, and welcome their ads. Now, I'm not going to rush out and buy a Chevy, simply because I'm not in the market for a new car, but the next time I am looking for one, I'll have Chevy on my mind.

If their ad campaign fails, that will mean less income for KYM. If it succeeds, maybe some other company will come along and sponsor research on all those non-funny memes that Chevy apparently refused to fund.

Last edited Nov 15, 2012 at 08:06PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!