232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Obscure Vidya General

Last posted Apr 25, 2012 at 09:52PM EDT. Added Apr 22, 2012 at 08:59PM EDT
20 posts from 18 users

>trackmania
>pokemon snap
>unknown

As far as great obscure games goes, my favorite would have to be Paradroid on the Commodore 64.

It's a combination of action and hacking minigames. You start as a really shitty bot with minimal points to use in the hacking minigame and by hacking bots and being smarter with your moves than them you can take over their bodies, by getting more colored squares in the hacking minigame.

It's a great game if you ever decide you want to spend a couple hours playing a cool older game.

Pokemon Snap, obscure? Don't make me laugh.

Anyways:

Some of you may have heard of this. BG&E was a mix of stealth, racing, photography, and more, yet it all fit together. The story was also pretty well written, and the protagonist is pretty awesome. Basically, your a reporter who's trying to uncover a government conspiracy. Too bad the game didn't sell.

The game also had an awesome soundtrack. The main theme:

The song that plays during the intro fight:

Song that plays in the game's bar (no, I don't understand a word it says):

Chris Ancel (who also is the creator of the Rayman series) wants to make a sequel, but its been in development for over 5 years, and the last update was over 3 years ago. He swears he's still making it, but I'd rather it doesn't. Games never turn out well after going through development hell (with some exceptions).

I have more games, but I'd like to limit the number of images/videos I have in a post.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 11:55PM EDT

RC Revenge Pro. This game was my favorite throughout my childhood. I would also like to point out that a game that got an HD remake does not fall under obscure.

Crash 'n' Burn was made by Climax? I'll admit that I don't think I've ever gotten a bad game from them. If I'm not mistaken, they made multiple Hot Wheels games for the previous generation of consoles. I know they made Speed Kings, which was pretty damn good in my honest opinion. May have been a Road Rash wannabe, but it was a good game in its own right.

Also, while I'm here, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. If you know me, you'll know I've mentioned it in the past. If you know that, you know this game kicks ass.

Not so obscure but I doubt many have heard of it yet alone played it.

A Wii-make of the NES game, it uses beautiful hand-drawn sprites and is the only game I know of with a hug button. Seriously, we need more games with that. The puzzles and platforming are imaginative and creative and the connection between Boy and Blob is really heart-warming.

Last edited Apr 25, 2012 at 03:00AM EDT

It's an indie game made by a bunch of college students. It's free, has a short download, and can be played on most computers. Just search it's name.

Overall, it's an arcade-styled survival racer, with flight, obstacles, etc. and a bad-ass announcer. Has a very 'Tron' feel to it.

Not sure if it's really 'obscure', because it's a Bioware game, but it's a pretty early one.

It was one of the first RPGs I played, back in '05. The story still sticks with me, and it's one of my favorite games.

Anyone that's played Nethack or any other rogue-like will love this one. A rogue-like is basically an RPG with a lot of stats, randomly-generated dungeons, random events, etc. You also tend to die a lot, and there is perma-death. You can turn the perma-death off, but that's beside the point. The point is that when you die you choose a new set of skills and try again.

Also, unlike other rogue-likes, this game actually has graphics. It also has one of the best senses of humor ever.

Okay, guys. You did a really good job at making me rage. You can start posting obscure games that you love now.

Most of these games have some renown behind them.
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!