Forums / Discussion / General

233,031 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

I'm playing Katawa Shojou right now.

Last posted May 14, 2012 at 05:57AM EDT. Added May 13, 2012 at 02:15AM EDT
23 posts from 15 users

I got it installed about an hour and a half ago and I'm hooked. Whos route should I take first? currently I'm taking Emi's route, but I made a save state before I started it, and I was taking Lilly's route.

FudgeGruck wrote:

I got it installed about an hour and a half ago and I'm hooked. Whos route should I take first? currently I'm taking Emi's route, but I made a save state before I started it, and I was taking Lilly's route.

Bro just answer all the choices truthfully. Katawa Shoujo isnt about "whos route should i take first," its about the story line. Its about the feels, and the only why to truly experience the game is to not treat it like a game at all.

Once you've done that then you can about completing all the routes.

404 user not found wrote:

Bro just answer all the choices truthfully. Katawa Shoujo isnt about "whos route should i take first," its about the story line. Its about the feels, and the only why to truly experience the game is to not treat it like a game at all.

Once you've done that then you can about completing all the routes.

Ashbot wrote:

Why are you even here if you don't like the game?

It's an accidental question thread pertaining to a subject which has already an established thread.

Saying these things in the real thread would just be rude.

Probably too late, to weigh in with an answer, but I read somewhere to do Lilly's route last, and so I did. Even though Lilly was not my favorite, it felt right to do that route last, since that particular good ending is probably the most satisfying ending.

Realistically though, you might want to think carefully about which girl you complete first, because from what I've read and my own personal experience, finishing a route can hit you hard enough with feels that it's hard to do a different girl's route afterwards. I did Emi first by chance (my first play was without any guides/walkthroughs/etc.) and even though she was probably my least favorite girl, when doing other routes it always felt unsettling when Hisao ran into Emi and wasn't her boyfriend.

So long as we've opened this back up, more discussion? Those who have played, what's your ranking? Rather than a simple ranking, I break it down like this:

Physical attractiveness:
Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune > Emi

Personality:
Rin > Lilly > Hanako > Emi > Shizune

Writing quality:
Shizune > Lilly > Emi > Rin > Hanako

Brucker said:

Physical attractiveness:

Personality:

Writing quality:

HA.

Physical attractiveness:

Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

Personality:

Writing Quality:

Lilly > Rin = Emi = Hanako > Shizune

>2012
>thinking Shizune is good at all

Chris wrote:

Brucker said:

Physical attractiveness:

Personality:

Writing quality:

HA.

Physical attractiveness:

Personality:

Writing Quality:

Lilly > Rin = Emi = Hanako > Shizune

>2012

Nope.

Attractiveness-
Kenji > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly > Rin

Personality-
Kenji > Rin> Emi> Lilly> Hanako> Shizune

Writing-
Kenji >Lilly >Emi >Hanako >Rin >Shizune

This is now a Kenji thread.

Last edited May 14, 2012 at 12:03AM EDT

Chris-chan wrote:

>2012

I knew there would be an outcry about rating Shizune so high. I guess I will have to explain, but I warn that there will be spoilers.

Okay, let me say up front that the reason I think many people dislike Shizune is that they think she's a bitch. My reason for liking her story line in the end really has nothing to do with disabusing anyone of that notion. Note that I still rank Shizune at the bottom of the personality scale.

What makes Shizune's route the most interesting to me involves a number of factors. While all of the girls (excepting Lilly, perhaps) have some sort of personality flaw that keep Hisao emotionally distanced, I felt that Shizune's route was the one that spent the most time examining the roots of that flaw. Shizune is a bit bitchy, but more than that, she's manipulative (getting Misha and Hisao to be her lackeys), controlling (she can't even stand someone else stirring her food), over-competitive (she rejects Hanako's worth as a person over a chess match), and vindictive (her entire relationship with Lilly). Throughout Act 2, Hisao spends a great deal of time speculating on where these characteristics come from, while somehow still being drawn to her. He learns that Shizune's family never learned sign language, yet he works to learn it after knowing her about week, winning her appreciation.

In Act 3, Hisao meets her father, who turns out to be not just a jerk, but another person displaying most if not all her negative qualities, and then some. At one point, he tells Hisao that that he spent 12 years trying to get tutors to train Shizune to speak, but she refused. (Generally, it's much easier for a hearing person to learn sign language than a deaf person to learn to talk; Jigoro lost that power struggle, but never gave in, and thus has no substantial relationship with his daughter.) Towards the end of that chapter is the first sex scene with Shizune, and I don't know how many people realize this, but with the manner in which it unfolds, it wouldn't be far from accurate to say that Shizune rapes Hisao. Yes, he doesn't protest, but she made sure he didn't have the option, didn't she?

In Act 4, the story has great emotional impact as a love triangle (in a much more literal sense than the term usually means) between Hisao, Shizune, and Misha. Learning the secrets of Shizune and Misha's past, I personally ended up with the strongest feelings for Misha out of any of the girls; both Misha and Shizune seem to be very tragic characters, but while Shizune's flaws cause her to lash out at others, Misha stuffs it away and hates only herself for her shortcomings. I believe her goofiness and incessant laughter was not so much her "real" personality as a façade she put on in order to hide the deep sadness that she kept within her. Not only does Misha have no official path, but for her, there is no "good" ending. Meanwhile Shizune hints throughout the whole story--and talks at length in the final act--concerning being aware of her bad side, yet unable to stop herself from continuing in control and manipulation of others. When Misha distances herself from her two best friends, Shizune won't accept that she can't just force Misha out of her depression.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in Shizune's route is that there is only a single choice in the whole thing, and the correct decision to make is pretty obvious. What's fascinating about that choice however, is that on the surface, the whole of Act 4 unfolds the same whichever choice Hisao makes, but the underlying significance of the dialogue and actions changes drastically. (This is an impressive feat to accomplish in writing, in my opinion: a single written account that tells two stories, depending on changing a single piece of background information.) While that choice had an obvious right answer, once again, either option makes Misha have good reason to lose what little self-confidence she has. Like Misha, I've seen people in real life ask questions that can only lead down a road they don't want to travel, but they simply can't take the words back once they are spoken.

In retrospect, whether this is Misha speaking for herself or translating for Shizune, this may be the saddest line of dialogue from Act 1:

There's a lot more I could say, but I've only got 5,000 characters.

Oh, and regarding physical attractiveness, I figure more than anything else, that's a matter of personal preference. I think I've implied before that I don't care much for anorexic little twig-girls; I found all of six of these girls to be far too skinny for my tastes. Hanako and Lilly both have gorgeous hair, though.

Brucker wrote:

Oh, and regarding physical attractiveness, I figure more than anything else, that's a matter of personal preference. I think I've implied before that I don't care much for anorexic little twig-girls; I found all of six of these girls to be far too skinny for my tastes. Hanako and Lilly both have gorgeous hair, though.

>2012
>not preferring glorious drills

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!