Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
AMA: Sarah, one of our new Internet Scientists!

Last posted Sep 12, 2012 at 08:26PM EDT. Added Aug 17, 2012 at 03:26PM EDT
249 posts from 61 users

Sarah "Pikachu" Hiraki wrote:

I met Forest and Alison (and Rob) through other work at Cheezburger which will be released soon. From that point we all had some funny conversations about spaghetti in pockets and having stairs in our houses (and Dolan <3) that lead to Forest asking if I'd be interested in contributing to the show, this all started about two months ago.

MUSIC:
I love Joanna Newsom. She is my all time favorite musician.

I'm also a big Jenny Lewis fan, also Sufjan Stevens, Kanye, Childish Gambino, Dirty Projectors, Wes Anderson Soundtracks.
and I'm also kind of a musical theatre snob. Big Sondheim fan. Huge.

>musical theatre

You are doing a very bad job of making me love you less.

What's your favorite musical?

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

New internet scientist? Yay! This site really has been growing in the past few days, what with the new mods and promotions and all, and this is just icing on the cake!

Anyways, I have a few choice questions:
Is Hiraki your real last name?
Apparently you've just joined an hour ago. Have you ever had a previous account on this site before?
Are you familiar with this thread?
Have you ever met Jamie Dubs in person?

Yes. Hiraki means flat tree is Japanese (or so family lore goes) and it's also a kind of fish.
Nope! I tend to lurk or remain anonymous most places.
ALL YOUR FANBASE ARE BELONG TO FOREST.
Nope!

Verbose wrote:

Do you like sports? Statistically, someone else here has to. Please say you like sports (the album or athletic competition. Either or.)

Ultimate frisbee, golf, bowling, shuffle board and playing catch with a football. I'm generally pretty bad at organized sports, but I do like running around.

I also swing dance a little.

I have heard from various sides that the latest episode might contain a large amount of sexism. With you being a female posting in a mostly male community, I'd like to ask your opinion on that. Did you find the latest episode too sexist? And if so, were you ok with filming it?

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

You obviously know nothing of sky piracy.

That is a joke.

Do you play video games? If so, favorites?

I love old video games. I can play tetris for hours. HOURS.
I love anything in the mario universe(wario ware omgggg). I love arcades, so DDR is great, so is taiko.

In terms of new console stuff, I am obsessed with Assassin's Creed and I can't wait for the final installment. The American revolution is my favorite historical period.

Teh Brawler wrote:

>musical theatre

You are doing a very bad job of making me love you less.

What's your favorite musical?

Ha! It's a tie between Assassin's and Sunday in the Park with George.
Followed by Into the Woods, followed by How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

RandomMan wrote:

I have heard from various sides that the latest episode might contain a large amount of sexism. With you being a female posting in a mostly male community, I'd like to ask your opinion on that. Did you find the latest episode too sexist? And if so, were you ok with filming it?

This is a hard one.

Alison and I had the idea for this episode when we had some initial meetings about internet topics we wanted to cover this "season" on KYM. Most of the jokes that Alison and I were writing came out of a kind of dark (and I think, funny) place because we had both either dealt with a lot of abuse and exclusion when we did identify ourselves online. Neither of us are phased anymore by most things ie woman logic, tits or gtfo-- which is sad, and yes, a product of extreme sexism, but is also part of what the experience of integrating yourself in the deep web. And honestly, I think I'm more resilient concerning stuff like gore and extreme hentai than ahem my male friends like Forest.

To make a humor piece that empowers the victim of abuse online, I feel its necessary to outline and then laugh at the absurdity of the abuse. That being said, requests for pics and sandwich jokes are one thing, whereas CP and rape jokes are another. There is a line, and there are some things that we will never joke about in a video. I felt like we did a good job of combining humor and satire and a solid dose of the truth.

tl;dr We, two empowered ladies on the internet, wrote the video and filmed it, and we're hoping to make a point.

This is a hard one.

Alison and I had the idea for this episode when we had some initial meetings about internet topics we wanted to cover this "season" on KYM. Most of the jokes that Alison and I were writing came out of a kind of dark (and I think, funny) place because we had both either dealt with a lot of abuse and exclusion when we did identify ourselves online. Neither of us are phased anymore by most things ie woman logic, tits or gtfo-- which is sad, and yes, a product of extreme sexism, but is also part of what the experience of integrating yourself in the deep web. And honestly, I think I'm more resilient concerning stuff like gore and extreme hentai than ahem my male friends like Forest.

To make a humor piece that empowers the victim of abuse online, I feel its necessary to outline and then laugh at the absurdity of the abuse. That being said, requests for pics and sandwich jokes are one thing, whereas CP and rape jokes are another. There is a line, and there are some things that we will never joke about in a video. I felt like we did a good job of combining humor and satire and a solid dose of the truth.

tl;dr We, two empowered ladies on the internet, wrote the video and filmed it, and we're hoping to make a point.

I'm male, and I thought the episode was hilarious. but anyway, so if you like mario, which of the main games is your favourite?

Viceroy of Monte Cristo wrote:

Is there any way I could do my internship at KYM? I'd love to host some videos or do research.

Cheezburger does the episodes and videos for KYM. So if you want an internship for videos at KYM, you're at the wrong place.

@Sarah

Thanks for the response. As the reviews I heard so far came from mainly males, I thought it was best to ask someone who was more directly involved. But as it seems you wrote the script yourselves, it explains quite a bit.

P.S. (I never thought I would warrant something like this worth to notice) I'm male. I was just curious for your opinion on it.

Last edited Aug 17, 2012 at 06:32PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Sorry man, I was just smoking pod while doing some legal whores.

Damn, doesn't sound as sexy when you're Dutch.

I say!

Man, I'm not good at being British, am I?

Sarah, do you like British people?

1. I love star trek. The original series, and a little bit of TNG.
2. I got one a little while ago! http://sarahhiraki.tumblr.com/

Trekkie, huh? That's pretty awesome, especially for me, considering I have this thing on my wall:

So, two more questions, both Trek-related:

1. Favorite episode?

2. Kirk or Picard? Explain your choice.

HELLO MISS HIRAKI (US),

I am R James Kensington a United States Citizen and Registered Solicitor. I am Attorney of Law to the deceased Oil Executive Mr. John Buckingham of AMERICAN PETROLUEM Inc. based in Abuja Nigeria.

On July 31, 2012 my client Mr. BUCKINGHAM was killed in a plane accident in Benin. At the time of his death certain oil leases in my client's name had been sold and the money deposited into his confidential fiduciary account. I have been authorized by AMERICAN PETROLUEM to repatriate my client's funds to his next of kin. However, Mr. NUCKINGHAM has no known living relatives and under UNITED STATES law within three months if a next of kin is still unfound his funds must revert to The Federal Reserve.

I write to you today in the hopes of your assistance in repatriating the $25million to UNITED STATES of funds currently held in escrow in CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA to allow us time to find next of kin of mr BUCKINGHAM. In return for your aid we would pay a fee of (10%) of funds.

All I require is your honest and confidential co-operation to see this deal through. Please contact me with your full names, address in UNITED STATES, bank account number, and fax no. to allow us to further discuss this situation.

Your obedient servant,

R JAMES KENSINGTON (US CITIZEN)

Fridge wrote:

Trekkie, huh? That's pretty awesome, especially for me, considering I have this thing on my wall:

So, two more questions, both Trek-related:

1. Favorite episode?

2. Kirk or Picard? Explain your choice.

1. The Trouble with Tribbles. Obvious choice, I know, but I love it.
2. Picard is the ultimate hero of humanity. There is no god, but god is Picard.
However, I choose Kirk. The original cast is flawless. There's only one Shatner.

Personally, though, I'm a Spock. Logic. LOGIC.

1. The Trouble with Tribbles. Obvious choice, I know, but I love it.
2. Picard is the ultimate hero of humanity. There is no god, but god is Picard.
However, I choose Kirk. The original cast is flawless. There's only one Shatner.

Personally, though, I'm a Spock. Logic. LOGIC.

Those were very good answers. Thanks again, and congratulations, because at this point I'm pretty sure everyone on this site loves you now.

DUH. Though, don't tell mudkips that psyduck and wooper are my favorites.

>Psyduck as favorite

Yeah that's it you won me over.

I don't even know who is Forrest anymore.

Sup! You must login or signup first!