Forums / Discussion / General

233,021 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Your Worst Injury

Last posted Sep 16, 2012 at 03:15PM EDT. Added Sep 08, 2012 at 09:21PM EDT
43 posts from 37 users

So, anyone who remembers their worst injuries?

Probably my worst was just recently when I was pounding in some fence posts and got mad at one for not going in, so I began pounding it really hard….and the post driver caught the edge of the fence post and came down on my head. HARD. Despite how hard I clubbed myself, I wound up not even going to the hospital. All it did was bleed for a while.

An honorable mention was when I was six, and was playing with my siblings on the top bunk of a bunk bed. Things got really rowdy, and it lead to one of them pushing me off, and I landed head first onto the very hard floor. I wound up with a concussion, but other wise nothing really serious.

I don't know about injury but my worst medical problem is that I was born with a heart that looked like swiss cheese (Sever congenital heart defect) among various other things I can't remember the medical name of. Basically I wasn't supposed to live and the effects have limited my lifespan a bit as the problem keeps coming up again.

That's the extent of my personal injuries really. Can't get hurt too badly when all you do is try to make stuff behind a screen.

One time, I was boiling water in the Microwave, but I was stupid and covered it with plastic wrap so it wouldn't lose water to steam. I pulled it out and tried to take of the wrap, but it was scalding, so I yanked it off and the water splashed on my hand. My skin literally boiled off and left a little layer of flesh over my muscles.

Hurt like a bitch.

I was in a culinary program my last two years of high school, so I got my share of nasty cuts and burns. The worst injury I got in there was when i put my wrist on a hot half-sheet pan that was a bit in the way – but that was also empty, clean and had no clear signs that it had apparently just come out of the oven within a minute. My skin stuck itself to the pan, and I now have a 1/2 inch long scar on the inside of my wrist.

I also have plantar fasciitis in both feet from playing tennis without arch supports a lot when I was younger. It like to act up every so often.

I was a rowdy kid, and in first grade there was a part of the playground first graders weren't supposed to go on cus it was a tad too dangerous for kids that small. So of course I went on it anyway. Fell off and broke my left arm in a couple places.

Honorable mention goes to a time I was making french toast and didn't anticipate the pan to be so heavy when I was only holding it with one hand, and so I quickly grabbed the handle the my other hand as well and my index finger got burned by the metal part of the handle and left a second degree burn.

Oddly enough, no scarring from either injuries.

I still have a scar on my stomach from a surgery I needed when I was a baby but I can't say I've actually gotten myself hurt as severely as some of you. I broke a couple toes practicing karate (which healed quickly and I imagine could have hurt a lot worse) I caught a pencil tip with one of my tear ducts, burned myself many times soldering, accidentally chopped some skin off of my pinkie and foot and bled everywhere and I tend to hit my head quite alot, sometimes pretty badly.

I suppose I would go with the foot injury though, as I bled about 15 minutes longer than I should have without going to a hospital but it didn't seem that serious at the time.

Last edited Sep 09, 2012 at 02:06AM EDT

Two head injuries: Cracked my skull when I was about 2, and hit in the head with a baseball bat when I was about 7. I figure that's why I'm a bit odd and have a patch of grey hair on the right side.

Got hit over the head with a dumbbell while I was young. The details are sketchy, and include a water tank, a small dinner party at home and an argument over a sandwich. It bled for a while and now I have a bald spot/scar where I was hit. Probably why I'm such a weird person, but YMMV.

Second would be when I cut myself while attaching a safety peeler on a knife. The irony itself would've sufficed.

I was in a golf cart accident. The thing flipped over as it went around a turn. I broke my foot. Another time I took a nail to the face. And then there was that one when I almost severed my finger clean off my hand in some kind of table folding mechanism.

Not sure which is worse.

Well, some neighbors and I were playing with old wooden boards from a local construction site, pretending they were swords. One of the kids had the bright idea of actually hitting me. Not that it would not hurt alone, but the board also had a nail sticking through it. The nail punched through my left cheek and broke a tooth off my upper jaw. Fortunately it was not an adult tooth, and a new one grew in it's place. The new tooth is crooked though, and I still have a visible scar.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 12:35AM EDT

It was December 29, 1996. The sun was bright, the weather freezing. 41 bloody cm of snow fell that day in Vancouver. And no, despite this being Canada, Vancouver doesn't normally get that much snow. My young mind at the time thought, if anything could be called snowpocalypse, it would be this. A week or so later, I came up with the bright idea of taking my parent's sled for a ride down the local hill, which had been cleared of snow. And by cleared I mean they pushed it to the side into 9000 metre tall piles. Decked in about ten layers of clothes, I valiantly approached my task with great intestinal fortitude. Me, a little girl, would conquer this puny little hill, along with the rest of the world.

I broke both of my cherished front teeth that day. They had just come in earlier in the year. Thank God for free Canadian healthcare. And now I'm deathly scared of sleds. Rosebud… shudders

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 02:47AM EDT

Well, I guess.

I once had a 30 kilo fold-out table fall on my foot.

Then I had two hair fractures on both on my wrists from playing junior AFL.

I've broken my right ankle about 2 or 3 times in the same spot. I've also badly sprained both of my ankles several times, and I can barely keep a constant running speed now. I nearly cut one of my toes off with a saw blade. Once, someone dropped a slab of concrete on my foot. When I was younger some kid on my street threw a stick at me, and hit me square in the forehead with it. Although I don't think I needed stitches for that.

A second degree burn on my right leg. We were sitting around the table during vacation, our caravan didn't have an electric heater so the water my parents used for tea was literally boiling, straight from the kettle. The cheese wouldn't cooperate, so my dad had to use some force to get the plastic of the sides. His arm shot out and knocked over the tea, straight on my leg. Had it wrapped up in bandages for weeks and still got a pretty big scar left from it. Couldn't swim that entire vacation, and of course the day I got the accident they finally got the big slide fixed in the pool nearby. Luckily it's high on my leg, a boxer can cover it up and it has camouflaged itself a bit over the years.

Another one was a bruised wrist. I was sprinting down the stairs for dinner, my foot only reached the top step, the rest was straight down. Had it wrapped up for weeks, couldn't move it at all besides some small finger movement.

Last one is a scar on the bottom of my chin. I was walking the dog and didn't really pay attention. He suddenly saw a cat sprinting away for him and decided to chase it. An 80kg Rottweiler is something that can pack quite a punch, I was remembered of that that day. Pulled me over and I hit the ground chin first. Bled like a bitch and had to get multiple stitches in it. Still have a small scar from it, but it's on such an area that if you look straight at me you won't see it.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 10:42AM EDT

My family went to a tractor festival thing where rednecks can show off their tractors farmers can show of their farming equipment and can sell some of their harvest.

My youngest brother was allowed to go into one of the drivers seats (they were all off and unfueled), and it had a closing door. I accidentally put my thumb in between the door frame and the INSIDE of the door where the hinges are attached.

then my brother pushed the door closed with his foot. I fractured my thumb and broke the nail, which fell off on the way home. My entire thumb was purple for a few days, and I had to get a finger-brace to hold it in position so the fractures would heal correctly.

There's also when I had my tonsils taken out because they were harboring strep throat and swelled so much that food got caught in them and started to rot. They removed them while I was under anesthesia, but it hurt really bad after I came to. Luckily though, I got to play videogames and eat ice cream all the time for about a month since I couldn't even try to swallow anything else without causing scabs to break off and start bleeding.

Deus Ex Machina wrote:

Why? Just…why?

I am the King of Roleplaying.
I was roleplaying as Nathan Spencer the Bionic Commando.
He has a grappling hook arm.
I make a cardboard Bionic Arm, working grappling hook.
I jump out window to try it yelling "Bionic Arm ACTIVATE".
Arm does not work. I land on my arm.
- The End

Ann Hiro wrote:

- The End

Oh, okay.

Other than an appendectomy, I've been pretty lucky so far.
I got various scars on my knees and stuff though, mostly caused by playing soccer as that one guy who constantly straddles around, even on gravel-surface.
There's also a scar on the side of my hand and my wrist, caused by my sister pushing me against the sharp edge of a metal lattice fence back when I was younger.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 03:18PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

- The End

darwinawardrecipient.docx

I get a lot of burns. Those aren't much, though seeing as I'm used to them
My main injury was in first grade where I skinned my knee on a nail
Guess what, parents just handed me a towel and set me in a bathtub, no doctor's trip, nothing.
My brother gets a gash on his forehead, off to the ER for him.
Other than the usual scrapes and nicks, I've had a gash on my leg from a wood splitting ax, a few deep razor slices and gouges.
I bleed a lot :/

Sunhammer wrote:

I get a lot of burns. Those aren't much, though seeing as I'm used to them
My main injury was in first grade where I skinned my knee on a nail
Guess what, parents just handed me a towel and set me in a bathtub, no doctor's trip, nothing.
My brother gets a gash on his forehead, off to the ER for him.
Other than the usual scrapes and nicks, I've had a gash on my leg from a wood splitting ax, a few deep razor slices and gouges.
I bleed a lot :/

The worst one would be getting my rockets airblasted by this guy, mostly becuase of the humillation of getting blown by your own weapons.

I had a candle on top of a mantle that had been going for several hours that fell right on my head. I spent the next few hours in the shower trying to get off the cooled wax without peeling off what remained of my scalp.
That and the time I fractured my finger were both the most painful injuries I've ever had.

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 12:32AM EDT

I fell ten feet out of a tree earlier this year at my grandmother's house (I'm 13 btw). It was night time and all I remember is waking up on the ground, not being able to move and crying so loud that I'm surprised nobody heard me. I had to limp back to the house (and my grandma had a huge freaking yard because she lives in the middle of nowhere…) and I pretty much collapsed when I reached the front door. It was awful, but luckily I didn't break anything, I just badly bruised the side of my body that I landed on and I had a pretty bad head ache for the rest of the week.

When I was little, my sister was playing "helicopter" with a croquet mallet. And I walked in the way.
I still have a scar above my right eye.

Then one time I was standing up in a little red wagon when my sister started pulling it, and i fell on my face onto the pavement and knocked out one of my front teeth.

It's a miracle I don't look like a hillbilly.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Broken arm from a sports tackle.

The time I accidentally sliced my index finger open with a steak knife comes a close second

The first one makes me think of the All Blacks.

Can't imagine why…

My worst injury is my only bad injury: A bump into my forehead. Medical glue FTW!

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 03:22PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!