Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

Livestream with Brad on CBC today!

Last posted Nov 10, 2012 at 12:39AM EST. Added Nov 08, 2012 at 02:47PM EST
6 posts from 6 users

Hey everyone~*

We just wanted to let you know that Brad will be appearing on a CBC livestream about election memes at 4:30 PST/7:30 EST if you would like to tune in. Here's the link if you're interested in checking it out!

For now, enjoy this accurate picture of what's going to happen

Last edited Nov 08, 2012 at 02:50PM EST

@Brad
I just watched the video and thought it was great. One thing I would say is, Brad, when the interviewer was asking about if, in the future, candidates might try to hijack memes or create/start memes that would work in their favor, maybe you ought to have brought up the fact that memetic hub communities, and KYM's community especially, have a tendency to reject artificial or non-spontaneous "memes" ("forced memes" as KYM knows them) or "memes" whose main goal appears to be to enforce or project a particular viewpoint, especially controversial views or views that are in disagreement with the views of a majority of a community's members, and how that natural aversion would limit what candidates could do to use memes to their advantage in campaigns. I imagine these political memes would only propagate really well if A: the meme originated from the candidates own personal sense of humour (as opposed to his/her campaign office) and/or B: the meme was witty or clever enough for people to forgive/not care that the candidate was actively spreading or promoting it to memetic proportions as a political maneuver.

I guess I'm just bringing this up because, since KYM sees a lot of disputes over the "forcedness" of would-be memes in submissions, I sort of anticipated that you would mention the concept of forced memes in that segment and was a little surprised that you didn't.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!