Forums / Discussion / General

233,051 total conversations in 7,793 threads

+ New Thread

Thoughts on the upcoming Godzilla and Pacific rim: kaiju and mecha general

Last posted Mar 22, 2013 at 08:29PM EDT. Added Mar 21, 2013 at 10:16PM EDT
12 posts from 7 users

I don't know how many kaiju fans we have on the kym forum, and since pacific rim has giant mechs, ill make this a mecha/kaiju general. In here, discuss anything mecha or kaiju.

So, these two films mark the first time in a while that Hollywood is putting a lot of money (over $100m) into the kaiju genre and the mecha genre for a summer blockbuster. The way I see it, if these movies are successful, these two genres could become regulars at the box office. Kind of like what has happend to comic book movies lately. That is, big budgeted and crowd pleasing summer blockbusters.

Anyways, what are you thoughts on them?
My thoughts
Pacific rim: awesome kaiju vs mech action, talented director ( del toro) who obvoiusly loves the genre, good actors, great merchendise on the way. I am very excited for this film.

Godzilla: it's very early, but based on what I know about it, I am pretty excited for it. It seems like they aren't going to mess with Godzillas design. Also, I think he is going to fight another monster.

I'm just posing that question to start the thread, but the thread can move on to anything else that concerns the two. Kind of like my alcohol general were I posed the starting question in the title.

Yeah, ok, no more off topic posts. If you don't like the thread title, fine. But I posed a question and I'd appreciate if you actually focus on that.

Anyways, I remember some concept art by weta for a NGE movie. I'm pretty sure that movie isn't cancelled. so who knows, mabye the success of these two movies might help get that film off the ground.
Concept art

Last edited Mar 21, 2013 at 11:50PM EDT

Motherfucking Godzilla is the most badass series ever to come out of Japan. Hopefully this one won't suck, like the 90s American version did.

jace is a boss wrote:

the mecha in Pacific rim are called jeaguers which are made by the military to fight an monster but it's controlled by an humans and a GladOs like computer can't wait

maybe godzilla will redeem himself after the 99 one

Godzilla has already redeemed himself with a couple movies by toho. Hell, he even killed the American godzilla in one of the movies.

@20% cooler

Oops haven't seen that thread. So, should this one be locked?

Some concept art with the Russian jeager, Cherno Alpha

Last edited Mar 22, 2013 at 08:15PM EDT

Dac wrote:

Godzilla has already redeemed himself with a couple movies by toho. Hell, he even killed the American godzilla in one of the movies.

@20% cooler

Oops haven't seen that thread. So, should this one be locked?

Some concept art with the Russian jeager, Cherno Alpha

yes forgot about that
it looks like he got an big caldavada

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!