Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

KYM IRL Memes: Submit entries, earn prizes!

Last posted Apr 08, 2013 at 01:47AM EDT. Added Apr 01, 2013 at 12:36PM EDT
88 posts from 23 users

So by now you have probably heard about Offline Crisis Response Initiative and our broken tubes and our best people are working on it at the moment:

Anyhow, we here at the KYM HQ have a proposal to make to you researchers out there. It involves REAL LIFE PRIZES to US residents only (sorry about that :[ ) and A SPECIAL CUSTOM TITLE and BADGE for anyone anywhere!

• Anyone in the US who submits FIVE valid submissions will get a free awesome package in the mail.
  • Anyone who submits TEN or more valid submissions will get a free awesome package (If they're in the US) and a custom title for a week (Non-US residents will get the title).
  • Any user who submits TWENTY valid submissions will get a permanent title & a badge!

(update:currently looking into another solution for overseas participants!)

If you have any questions, please get in touch. If you want some ideas for entries, pop into the KYM IRC channel, we have a fountain of ideas up for grabs! Godspeed, IRL Meme Researchers.

Reminder: Please tag your entries "KYMIRL" to get them to show up in the system!

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 02:16PM EDT

Lodger (1979) wrote:

Question: What qualifies a submission as valid?

Probably anything that didn't spread due to the internet. I'd also assume that it would require time and effort as well. Also, I know I'm a mod but, CAN I HAVE A CUSTOM TITLE TOO?

Z. wrote:

> It involves REAL LIFE PRIZES to US residents only
> to US residents only

>tfw when 5 shitty entries get more in return than all this active, apparently pointless, contributing and moderation.

Not even kidding here. In the past I never really bothered with this, as whether you did something or shit, you would get nothing. There was nothing to compare oneself to as everyone got the same. And now that there actually is something, you see these fucking restrictions again that still manage to stab you from behind. It's those moments where you feel discriminated in today's online society because everything nowadays is centered in the US.

I rather not let this get to me, but for once this actually just annoys me and seriously pisses me of. "Be one of our most active contributors, that's cool. Wait, no US? Oh well fuck you in that case." It feels like I'm a problem just because of my nationality. It's not even funny.

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 02:12PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

>tfw when 5 shitty entries get more in return than all this active, apparently pointless, contributing and moderation.

Not even kidding here. In the past I never really bothered with this, as whether you did something or shit, you would get nothing. There was nothing to compare oneself to as everyone got the same. And now that there actually is something, you see these fucking restrictions again that still manage to stab you from behind. It's those moments where you feel discriminated in today's online society because everything nowadays is centered in the US.

I rather not let this get to me, but for once this actually just annoys me and seriously pisses me of. "Be one of our most active contributors, that's cool. Wait, no US? Oh well fuck you in that case." It feels like I'm a problem just because of my nationality. It's not even funny.

WE HAVE THE POWER TO RULE THIS SITE WITH AN IRON FIST we get a cool title that regular members don't.
Actually, I am a bit curious now, how well-written do these entries have to be? It can't be possible to write 20 entries with the quality level of a regular entry.

So as you can see from the entries front paged already, they don't have to be as labor intensive as regular entries. You can shorten the about/spread sections, but try to fill up the external references when you can!

Also! Instead of using Google Trends, hit up Google Books for analytics.

I'm really sorry about the shipping thing but overseas shipping is ridiculous expensive :( i wish i could mail things all over the world!

edit update: we're looking into some sort of gift card / virtual gift code for overseas participants only

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 02:08PM EDT

Twenty-One wrote:

Probably anything that didn't spread due to the internet. I'd also assume that it would require time and effort as well. Also, I know I'm a mod but, CAN I HAVE A CUSTOM TITLE TOO?

yep, mods are eligible for the titles.

amanda b. wrote:

yep, mods are eligible for the titles.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Ahem, if you'll excuse me, I have 17 entries to write out. Doesn't help that it's 7:30 over here.
Also, how do you embed Google Analytics?

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 02:31PM EDT

Twenty-One wrote:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Ahem, if you'll excuse me, I have 17 entries to write out. Doesn't help that it's 7:30 over here.
Also, how do you embed Google Analytics?

the Google Books stuff isn't embeddable just screenshot!

Welp. My first 5 entries are up. If I get a Lab Coat I will love you guys forever!

Going to shoot for the temp title now.

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 05:11PM EDT

amanda b. wrote:

midnight EST: five and a half hours!

(Meaning less than an hour for me because I need to get up early tomorrow, damn.)

I have one idea in mind… Religion? That's spread memeticly, right? Music? Learning songs through oral tradition? I've gone a bit radical here, bear with me.

Certain holiday ideals; Santa Claus (added) Easter Bunny, Easter eggs, e.t.c.

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 06:46PM EDT

amanda b. wrote:

midnight EST: five and a half hours!

hmmm… that'll be around 4:00 am here…
BETTER GET THE COFFEE OUT. I've promised myself that I will get that custom title even if it has to kill me.

Ten entries. My attention span is severely lacking at this point and I am running out of ideas, so I don't know if it's possible to do another 10.

Edit: Well fuck. With the 15 minute time limit I won't be able to get another 10 entries in before midnight.

It was a fun run though.

Edit Again: Fuck it, I am going though with it even if I am a bit late.

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 08:53PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I would like to give my sincere apologies to everyone for crashing the KYM server and causing this.

Anyway, does this special offer also apply to American Citizens living abroad? Do I need to show my passport?

hahaha, well if we can ship it to a US mailing address, you're good.

It's two in the morning and I'm at 14 entries. I need more ideas. I hate to sound like a nagging brat but…

PLEASE LOWER THE AMOUNT FROM 20 TO 15!!!! I'M TIRED, THERE'S NO MORE ENTRIES I CAN THINK OF (I don't think there even are any more at this point), AND I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO THINK IT OVER. ALL I WAN'T IS THE CUSTOM TITLE. PLEASE, TAKE PITY ON A LOWLY USER SUCH AS MYSELF. PLEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

…Ahem. I guess I'm going to give up now. I cannot think of a single new entry to make. I guess a temporary title is good enough.

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 09:23PM EDT

Done. With Thirty Minutes to Spare. Thank god for the Back Button allowing you to skip the 15 minute time limit. owO;;;

1. Frodo Lives
2. Kamehameha
3. Does this Dress Make me look Fat?
4. May the Force be With You
5. Save the Princess
6. Magic
7. Alchemy
8. Alice in Wonderland
9. Pie to the Face
10. I am your father
11. Philosophers Stone
12. Wilhelm Scream
13. Robin Hood
14. King Arther
15. Break a Leg
16. Area 51
17. Chain Letters
18. Yada yada yada
19. Omg they killed Kenny
20. Hello World

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 10:27PM EDT

1. Yoda
2. Vegan/Veganism
3. Samurai
4. Knights
5. Manga(Comics)
6. Forced Labor
7. Pirates
8. Ninja/Shinobi
9. Swords
10. United Kindom
11. America
12. William Wallace
13. Guy Fawkes
14. Joan of Arc
15. Bugs Bunny
16. Gungnir
17. Elves
18. Democracy
19. American Civil War
20. Oda Nobunaga
21. Peter Pan
22. Mad Libs

Extra:
FGC (Fighting Game Community)
Street Fighter
Hitler
Oscar the Grouch
Evo Moment #37
Japan (Country)

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 11:02PM EDT

Probably not. The fact that we went out and did something with out time is good. I think.

On second thought, I probably do need to go do something more productive. This was fun, but it kinda wasted the entire day. ._.;;

Last edited Apr 01, 2013 at 11:27PM EDT

I personally would like to congratulate all of you poor lonely bastards for spending April Fool's being more productive than most people on the internet are.

Seriously, I didn't think anyone would make the 20 entry mark, you people really want your titles, don't you?

Welp, 25 minutes left, everyone!

chowzburgerz wrote:

What does Amanda mean by title?

You know how we have conversationalist, Moderator, etc under our user names?
Yeah that gets changed into something unique. Something to make you stick out of the crowd if you get a custom title.

Ann Hiro wrote:

You know how we have conversationalist, Moderator, etc under our user names?
Yeah that gets changed into something unique. Something to make you stick out of the crowd if you get a custom title.

Ok. So what things are you going to win?

chowzburgerz wrote:

Ok. So what things are you going to win?

Since I made nearly 30 entries I most likely will receive the free gift, a title, and badge.
A badge is kinda like a custom title.

Ann Hiro wrote:

Since I made nearly 30 entries I most likely will receive the free gift, a title, and badge.
A badge is kinda like a custom title.

Digging through your entries all I found was about sections literally copied from Wikipedia, dupes, and entries that are perfectly comparable to the common insta-deadpool stuff.

If those all get accepted as legit I swear to god I will quit this fucking unfair site. I know I am making this way too personal and I apologise for that, but seeing effortless bullshit get appreciated more than everything I did so far is getting to me. I don't care about the prizes, it's about the difference in treatment.

Cale wrote:

This actually has me kind of worried. Most of our contributing members are not American, so it’s kinda rank they get cut out.

Welcome to my world.

Last edited Apr 02, 2013 at 08:43AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Digging through your entries all I found was about sections literally copied from Wikipedia, dupes, and entries that are perfectly comparable to the common insta-deadpool stuff.

If those all get accepted as legit I swear to god I will quit this fucking unfair site. I know I am making this way too personal and I apologise for that, but seeing effortless bullshit get appreciated more than everything I did so far is getting to me. I don't care about the prizes, it's about the difference in treatment.

Cale wrote:

This actually has me kind of worried. Most of our contributing members are not American, so it’s kinda rank they get cut out.

Welcome to my world.

Hey, I think that's a tad harsh. Sure most of the entries are sub-par in comparison with regular entries, and may seem like deadpool-worthy stuff, but this was supposed to be for fun and games. Given users are trying to write 20 valid entries at least, you can expect a bit of copypasta. If it's against the rules, then the admins will act accordingly. Complaining that we mods don't get enough appreciation seems a tad unfair as well. Sure when you see those JFF "mods are worse than Hitler" threads, it does get to you, I'd be lying if I said it didn't peeve me off a bit, but we were chosen as mods due to our talent at creating entries, and dedication to the forums. It's not some sort of 'pull a name out the hat' thing. We don't get paid for this, this is volunteer work. If our entries are good, they get front paged, and shown to visitors, same as any other users. To ask for more because we do more is a bit selfish. I've created quite a few entries, but only a few have got front paged, and only 1 confirmed so far, but it doesn't annoy me. It just shows me that either the concept of the entry wasn't good enough, or the entry itself needs work (and I do understand that the admins go over and edit pages accordingly). You shouldn't create entries with the purpose of getting appreciation, it's a bad attitude to have. You should create entries in order to expand the database, and by doing so, it's knowledge of internet phenomena. While it isn't shown often, I'm pretty sure most of the users on the site do appreciate the work we do to assist the site's upkeep.
And as for the postage thing, living in the U.K. this effects me too, but I can't really expect the admins to spend a fortune posting prizes for a silly game. And it's not like they're not thinking up different prizes for us either.

Last edited Apr 02, 2013 at 08:46AM EDT

but we were chosen as mods due to our talent at creating entries, and dedication to the forums. It’s not some sort of ‘pull a name out the hat’ thing. We don’t get paid for this, this is volunteer work. If our entries are good, they get front paged, and shown to visitors, same as any other users. To ask for more because we do more is a bit selfish. You shouldn’t create entries with the purpose of getting appreciation, it’s a bad attitude to have. You should create entries in order to expand the database, and by doing so, it’s knowledge of internet phenomena.

I never cared about rewards or appreciation. I was aware of the facts and knew KYM's reputation on the rest of the web. I simply created entries and moderated here because I liked doing so. I like internet culture and find it fun to post here and reasearch entries for the site. If I can help expand the database and make visiting here more pleasant for others, then I'm happy enough. And even if I wasn't a mod, I most likely still would be making entries.

But the difference here is that I didn't do that research because I expected something in return, I did it because I simply liked doing so. But these entries….. I know it's all fun and games but you and I both know that most of them were nothing more than a quick run to the 5/10/20 and that if there weren't prices promised we would end up with just the mod and staff entries that were already submitted over the weekend and a few users who are good sports. Do you think any of yesterday's submitters who never do much on research will ever do something like that out of themselves for nothing (so don't read people like you and VanManner)?

It's simply that what annoys me. As I stated in my previous post, it's not about the rewards or anything, if nothing was promised on April Fools' I would still make entries, it's just the overall approach. Everyone has those dumb triggers that make them go batshit bananas, the feeling of mistreatment is one of mine. Give it a few days, this just needs some sinking. I apologise in advance for any follow-ups I might make.

Last edited Apr 02, 2013 at 09:13AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

but we were chosen as mods due to our talent at creating entries, and dedication to the forums. It’s not some sort of ‘pull a name out the hat’ thing. We don’t get paid for this, this is volunteer work. If our entries are good, they get front paged, and shown to visitors, same as any other users. To ask for more because we do more is a bit selfish. You shouldn’t create entries with the purpose of getting appreciation, it’s a bad attitude to have. You should create entries in order to expand the database, and by doing so, it’s knowledge of internet phenomena.

I never cared about rewards or appreciation. I was aware of the facts and knew KYM's reputation on the rest of the web. I simply created entries and moderated here because I liked doing so. I like internet culture and find it fun to post here and reasearch entries for the site. If I can help expand the database and make visiting here more pleasant for others, then I'm happy enough. And even if I wasn't a mod, I most likely still would be making entries.

But the difference here is that I didn't do that research because I expected something in return, I did it because I simply liked doing so. But these entries….. I know it's all fun and games but you and I both know that most of them were nothing more than a quick run to the 5/10/20 and that if there weren't prices promised we would end up with just the mod and staff entries that were already submitted over the weekend and a few users who are good sports. Do you think any of yesterday's submitters who never do much on research will ever do something like that out of themselves for nothing (so don't read people like you and VanManner)?

It's simply that what annoys me. As I stated in my previous post, it's not about the rewards or anything, if nothing was promised on April Fools' I would still make entries, it's just the overall approach. Everyone has those dumb triggers that make them go batshit bananas, the feeling of mistreatment is one of mine. Give it a few days, this just needs some sinking. I apologise in advance for any follow-ups I might make.

I can see where you're coming from here. The thought that people are getting rewarded for half-assed entries that are mostly copypastas of Wikipedia. I can see how you could get annoyed over these contributors only really making these entries for a prize, and not putting much effort in either. On a related note, I can admit that I never really suspected anyone other than the admins and mods to make entries, so in one way, this could be seen as a good motivator for people. However, I can understand more where you are coming from, and in a sense I kinda agree. However,most of the contributors have created good entries beforehand, and those who haven't are generally forum go-ers before entry viewers. Those who do post entries usually can fall into the same category as me or VanManner, as taking the chance to take part in a one-time only game. The forum goers generally are interested in creating entries, which is understandable as research isn't really everyone's Favorite thing.
While it may seem a little selfish, some people need the motivator to go out and make entries. Having said that, I do agree on the Wikipedia thing to be honest, so I'd ask the admins to not only check the number of entries, but the quality as well.

Twenty-One wrote:

I can see where you're coming from here. The thought that people are getting rewarded for half-assed entries that are mostly copypastas of Wikipedia. I can see how you could get annoyed over these contributors only really making these entries for a prize, and not putting much effort in either. On a related note, I can admit that I never really suspected anyone other than the admins and mods to make entries, so in one way, this could be seen as a good motivator for people. However, I can understand more where you are coming from, and in a sense I kinda agree. However,most of the contributors have created good entries beforehand, and those who haven't are generally forum go-ers before entry viewers. Those who do post entries usually can fall into the same category as me or VanManner, as taking the chance to take part in a one-time only game. The forum goers generally are interested in creating entries, which is understandable as research isn't really everyone's Favorite thing.
While it may seem a little selfish, some people need the motivator to go out and make entries. Having said that, I do agree on the Wikipedia thing to be honest, so I'd ask the admins to not only check the number of entries, but the quality as well.

I was never a fan of people only getting motivated when there are rewards to gain. Like you said in your first reply, contributing with the purpose of getting appreciation or rewards is a bad attitude to have. Yesterday's event could get a gold medal in the bad-reason-to-contribute olympics. It's without doubt one of the reasons for my anger, as you're basically rewarding bad manners here. All while quality gets fucked up by locations.

Those who do post entries usually can fall into the same category as me or VanManner, as taking the chance to take part in a one-time only game.

Like that basically is how I believe these things are best taken care of. It's only natural that people like you, me or VanManner contribute to yesterday's event, whether there were rewards or not. Perhaps in that way it was better to leave the rewards out until today, lower the requirements, and then just hand them out to people who were a good sport and contributed because they liked to, showing appreciation for actual legit effort. This would also motivate people to contribute in future events, as they then know that there's a chance afterwards there will be rewards involved (instead of checking beforehand if there are and deciding on that). It's a win-win situation.

But then again, when it comes to overal apprecation the Forum users were always a bit underappreciated. Both thanks-awards so far were only handing out titles and badges to quality entry contributors. Forum go-ers had to see themselves fish behind the net each time. So maybe it's just a case of "fair enough". But I still feel that it's best to reward people on the areas they shine in, not through 1-day-and-never-again events.

Last edited Apr 02, 2013 at 10:11AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!