Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

DOMA was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court

Last posted Jun 30, 2013 at 11:12AM EDT. Added Jun 26, 2013 at 10:26AM EDT
32 posts from 20 users

This is a great day for equality. With DOMA's death comes the death of the ignorance and inequality that has existed across the nation and the annals of time for far too long. To our American LGBT members, may I extend a very fond congratulations.

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

IT IS A HAPPY DAY FOR THE USA TODAY!!!

NOW, ONTO GENDER EQUALITY.

There's nothing a Government can do for Gender Equality. That's just the current culture. It's getting there, though.

Chokesmurf wrote:

Republican Timothy Dolan says he'll continue to fight against same-sex unions alongside many angry conservatives.

dolan pls

He's the Archbishop of New York. Of course he's going to do that.

I feel this is highly irrelevant to the current issue, and you simply brought it up to make a joke.

Fridge wrote:

He's the Archbishop of New York. Of course he's going to do that.

I feel this is highly irrelevant to the current issue, and you simply brought it up to make a joke.

It is quite relevant. This is a thread about DOMA being shot down, not a yay-for-gay circle jerk. News regarding it, even if it is quite easy to make a joke with it, constitutes discussion.

My immediate thought was "Oh My, George Takei will be all over this!"

But in all seriousness, this is great! One small step for man.

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 05:54PM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

My immediate thought was "Oh My, George Takei will be all over this!"

But in all seriousness, this is great! One small step for man.

One giant leap for man on man.

level4outbreak wrote:

On-Topic, this is awesome news! DOMA should have been struck down a lot earlier than now.

Well, of course it was made legal. No business could have suffered from that.

Evilthing wrote:

Well, of course it was made legal. No business could have suffered from that.

I don't think you even know what the fuck we're talking about.
I don't think you even know what the fuck you're talking about.

I know what I'm talking about. I just brought this up a bit mistimely fashion. I was just wondering that if gay marriage being legal had been threat to business, would it still be legal.

Last edited Jun 27, 2013 at 03:52AM EDT

Evilthing's got a good point. Conservatives can't stand to see a threat to the "traditional family", but let's be honest, nothing compares to threatening traditional free-market capitalism.

And something that I've said many times before still holds true: As great as this news is, there will never be an end to homophobia or the fight over same-sex marriage. Think about it; slavery was abolished over a century and a half ago in the U.S. Are we done fighting the battle against racism? I hate to be a downer, but it's human nature. We'll still be debating this stuff long after the youngest of us dies of old age.

Le Bumpkin wrote:

But you guys… It's for same-sex marriages. Not exclusively for gay marriages.

But Gay is colloquial for Homosexual, and homosexual is orientation towards the same-sex.

So…

Evilthing wrote:

I know what I'm talking about. I just brought this up a bit mistimely fashion. I was just wondering that if gay marriage being legal had been threat to business, would it still be legal.

I'm getting the sense that you're trying to use this thread as your soap-box against corporate interest.

Even if gay marriage had a threat to business (which it doesn't and has no potential to be such), the overall cultural shift in America toward supporting gay rights would override any pre-existing interest (or in your fictional terms, big business) against gay rights.

Such was the case with Title 2 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. While some businesses opposed having to provide their services equally, Title 2 was still passed.

Further, opposing gay marriage has hurt businesses (in reality mind you). Look at the Chick-fil-A controversy. Because of their support for homophobic agendas, they lost a lucrative partnership with the Jim Henson Company, had two large universities disallow Chick-fil-A from providing their services until they changed their policies and had three major cities threaten to ban Chick-fil-A from opening franchises within their city limits (which was stupid BTW but still served a dose of negative publicity).

With regard to your original post in this thread, it is fallacious to equate a denial of service (eg segregated restaurants, non-protected gay marriage) with restricted use of intellectual property as a service is seen as something public while an IP is seen as something private. Anyone can use a service, only a few can use an IP. That's why an IP is called property.

Evilthing wrote:

Thats like saying " I was just wondering that if gay marriage being legal would mean 300 cats would die every day as sacrifice, would it still be legal."
Probably not, but thats irrelevant. If allowing gay marriage would cause economic failure, I'm sure gay people would take one for the team and just not marry.

Seriously, I do think Evilthing's observations have some merit. I think when conservatives see that same-sex marriages have a stimulating effect on the economy, they end up being far less resistant to the idea. Money is a powerful motivator for most people.

I recently saw the film Milk, and there's a character in the movie who, at least early on, makes a homophobic statement towards the main characters. Later, when crowds of gay men are shopping at his store, he seems to have become much more tolerant.

Brucker wrote:

Seriously, I do think Evilthing's observations have some merit. I think when conservatives see that same-sex marriages have a stimulating effect on the economy, they end up being far less resistant to the idea. Money is a powerful motivator for most people.

I recently saw the film Milk, and there's a character in the movie who, at least early on, makes a homophobic statement towards the main characters. Later, when crowds of gay men are shopping at his store, he seems to have become much more tolerant.

Umm…that was a true story.

and OPs everywhere got married

But really if you work at anywhere that does anything relating to marriages (banquet halls, cake designing, etc) this is going to be a good year for you

Last edited Jun 30, 2013 at 11:12AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!