Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

TPP - Trans Pacific Partnership treaty, also know as HERE WE FUCKING GO AGAIN

Last posted Nov 14, 2013 at 05:00PM EST. Added Nov 13, 2013 at 11:57AM EST
29 posts from 13 users

Long time lurker, so before you berate me for being a BNM, check this out.

Wikileaks publishes leaked draft

TPP on Wikileaks

It is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT that this information goes viral. Rev up those towers and put on your fedoras because this is SOPA on steroids.

Share this with everyone you know, make them share it, put it up on your Facebook and Twitter, whatever. We beat this once, we can do it again.

Last edited Nov 14, 2013 at 04:01AM EST

Honestly, as an America I think the American general public needs to fix its poor representation, which in my eyes it starting to look like the root of all evil. I don't know how, but I just know that the American Congress is behind this. Because who else would be? Who seriously runs a democracy in secret?

Last edited Nov 13, 2013 at 03:13PM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Guh, trying to read the proposal is like bee's running though my head. Anyone got a summary of what exactly the bill will do?

"The Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement ("TPP") is a free trade agreement currently being negotiated by nine countries: The United States, Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam. Although the TPP covers a wide range of issues, this site focuses on the TPP's intellectual property (IP) chapter.

The TPP suffers from a serious lack of transparency, threatens to impose more stringent copyright without public input, and pressures foreign governments to adopt unbalanced laws.

Many of the same special interests that pushed for legislation like SOPA and PIPA have special access to this forum--including privileged access to the text as well as US negotiators."

(Direct Quotation from Anonymous author from http://tppinfo.org/)

Also, a video.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Honestly, as an America I think the American general public needs to fix its poor representation, which in my eyes it starting to look like the root of all evil. I don't know how, but I just know that the American Congress is behind this. Because who else would be? Who seriously runs a democracy in secret?

I love America, and I love being and American, but the government is really making it hard for me to love these United States when they try to pull the wool over people's eyes and restrict our freedom.

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

It is rare that a first post is of such quality or such importance.

As I live in the UK, I cannot really do a goddamn thing to help stop this.

Just…. Show them THAT WE DO NOT STAND FOR THIS ****.

Like I said, long time lurker. (you guys have way to many "Ban the user above you" threads.)

But it doesn't matter where you're from, just share it. To quote one of my favorite movies;

"I don't know if you should petition, or riot, or protest, but what I do know is you need to get LOUD, GET ANGRY, YELL, SCREAM, I DON'T KNOW, JUST GET ANGRY AND STAY ANGRY UNTIL SOMETHING CHANGES!"

Already gave my vote against that a year ago. Horrible thing is that with this treaty, you could do the same as giving chamber of commerce the power over congress, making corporatocracy official.

Last edited Nov 13, 2013 at 03:26PM EST

Kawaii Guy wrote:

I love America, and I love being and American, but the government is really making it hard for me to love these United States when they try to pull the wool over people's eyes and restrict our freedom.

Well, the government and the land are not generally the same. You should not feel like a traitor in your own country for disapproving of your governments awkward and anti-freedom efforts. It's like I can't call myself a patriot because the word has been so bastardized into a conservative cult circle-jerk term. I love America too, and its people, I want to see it succeed for once.

Last edited Nov 13, 2013 at 03:25PM EST

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Well, the government and the land are not generally the same. You should not feel like a traitor in your own country for disapproving of your governments awkward and anti-freedom efforts. It's like I can't call myself a patriot because the word has been so bastardized into a conservative cult circle-jerk term. I love America too, and its people, I want to see it succeed for once.

Then we need to slay this beast. It feeds on ignorance and thrives in the shadows. The only way it will vanquish is if we shine light upon it and make it's existence know to all, and let all know why it is wrong, for this beast will hide underneath a shroud, attempting to tell all that it is to end piracy and cyber theft. But nay, it is but an attempt to put us all in chains. If thou claim to suck upon the teet of freedom, you shall raise thy Mechanical Keyboard and point it at the beast named TPP!

(I just went all 15th century on thy bottom.)

I've known that treaty for years. By the way, you know what's bad? That there are less people protesting about this on the streets than people protesting about that recent Jimmy Kimmel episode.

Kawaii Guy wrote:

I suppose an Event article on TPP would be beneficial. I'll get to work on it.

You should better be quick.

I've started to notice a horrible slippery slope when it comes to copyright and patents. Whenever a new treaty or law is passed or threatening to pass, people forget about the already existing ones which screw people over like DMCA (causes more trouble than solves them), Berne convention, any copyright extension acts, patent acts and any acts which make breaking copyright and patent laws a tougher crime.

This is exactly what the media and many technology companies want. By making you ignore the existing laws and regulations, they're gaining more and more foothold. Do you remember any recent copyright or patent related laws which made copyright and patents more lenient and got passed through legislative branch?

Kawaii Guy wrote:

Come to Europe, we don't suck.

I suppose an Event article on TPP would be beneficial. I’ll get to work on it.

Nice.

Last edited Nov 13, 2013 at 04:10PM EST

Sweatie Killer wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24924378

Even Europe Hates Europe. Also, Nazis, Nazis everywhere.

Stop using BBC news for opinions on Europe, our current situation with the EU is not so good, so yeah, Europe is great, but Britain's government is turning bad. (It seems)

>BBC News, Amsterdam

well then, just disregard what I said about Europe being great then

Last edited Nov 13, 2013 at 05:04PM EST

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

It is rare that a first post is of such quality or such importance.

As I live in the UK, I cannot really do a goddamn thing to help stop this.

Just…. Show them THAT WE DO NOT STAND FOR THIS ****.

I PERSONALLY SHALL ALSO NOT STAND FOR ASTERISKS.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Guh, trying to read the proposal is like bee's running though my head. Anyone got a summary of what exactly the bill will do?

It's a treaty to iron out differences between the countries' trademark and patent laws.

Everyone has to agree to a bunch of other treaties. No idea what's in them.

The Geographic Indicators section will be a change for the US. We traditionally allow the use of placenames to say a product is /like/ the product known from that placename, like Budwieser beer and Parmesan cheese. If this passes, such future product names will have to be from that place. i think. I didn't read it closely.

Gotta go AFK for a while; I only made it about a quarter of the way in.

This is gonna take a while to read…

In the mean time: KAWAII GUY, it appears an article already exists. Focus on updating that one with news of the leak, its alleged implications for the Internet, and the Internet's response. Request an editorship and/or find someone willing to help brush up the article.

Eurofags who wish they could do more, the Wikileaks page makes mention of a TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership). See what you can find about the IP section of the TTIP, namely, if any of its contents have been made public at all, and I will follow suit.

Lurkers, to the wall!

In general, it is mind-numbingly boring, is filled with inactive clauses like "each party shall endeavour to promote access to the public domain", dives often into internal details of processes that are better described more broadly with the details left to the countries, and establishes special laws for special industries like Agricultural Chemical Products. It seems like it would advantage lawyers more than anyone else, and may be worth opposing solely on the grounds of being badly written.

The treaty requires countries to have software patents and patents for business processes (E.1). This is a big deal.

There is a section about "traditional knowledge" and "traditional cultural expressions" as they relate to "genetic resources", which is odd because DNA was only discovered around 60 years ago and there should be no traditional anything regarding it. This makes me wonder what these phrases really mean.

There is a new and very brief section (F) regarding industrial designs, which should already be covered by patents and trade secrets, which again makes me wonder what this phrase really means.

Section G.10 forbids reverse-engineering, taking the DMCA international. This is another big deal. Section H.9 specifically forbids decoding satellite signals.

Section H.2 requires courts to accept that someone is a copyright holder based on their word alone. They don't have to prove it. This will encourage false claims of ownership.

Section I.3 makes ISPs liable for copyright infringement if they fail to block access to material upon notification of the copyright holder.

Don't worry, New Zealand might mandate this but we'll fuck it up. We are so incompetent when it comes to international law. Everyones just gonna keep doing what they normally do while the government makes paper cranes in their offices chairs.

It will be just like when they promised to make the end user guilty until proven innocent in terms of illegal file sharing and so far not a damn thing has changed. People are still pirating away.

But seriously, this sounds like pretty bad news. Section H.2 is particular concerning as that panders very well to patent and copyright trolls. It's so easy for that system to be abused and it clearly is not working in the interest of content creators or viewers but whoever has the most lawyers and the most greed

@Kawaii

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/trans-pacific-partnership-treaty
It took me an hour to figure out how textile works, and even still its confusing. I’d appreciate it if someone else could take the reigns, I hate it just sitting there incomplete.

I'll fix your links, but I only do this favor once per user.

Linking isn't that hard, you just put the name of your link in quotes next to the URL, separated by a colon. It looks like this:
"This is a link to the KYM TTP article":https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/trans-pacific-partnership-treaty

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Don't worry, New Zealand might mandate this but we'll fuck it up. We are so incompetent when it comes to international law. Everyones just gonna keep doing what they normally do while the government makes paper cranes in their offices chairs.

It will be just like when they promised to make the end user guilty until proven innocent in terms of illegal file sharing and so far not a damn thing has changed. People are still pirating away.

But seriously, this sounds like pretty bad news. Section H.2 is particular concerning as that panders very well to patent and copyright trolls. It's so easy for that system to be abused and it clearly is not working in the interest of content creators or viewers but whoever has the most lawyers and the most greed

@Kawaii

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/trans-pacific-partnership-treaty
It took me an hour to figure out how textile works, and even still its confusing. I’d appreciate it if someone else could take the reigns, I hate it just sitting there incomplete.

I'll fix your links, but I only do this favor once per user.

Linking isn't that hard, you just put the name of your link in quotes next to the URL, separated by a colon. It looks like this:
"This is a link to the KYM TTP article":https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/trans-pacific-partnership-treaty

>not using html
ISHYGDDT

Anyway, more drama for the drama god, and i'm getting tired of this shit.

I don't get it, why would Google financially support Obama in the elections just to have this happen? Either he is really screwing them over or Google is seeing something we're not seeing.

I have a strange feeling that maybe this entire draft was leaked to throw us off.

Last edited Nov 14, 2013 at 01:28PM EST

CrashGordon94 wrote:

More of this disgusting evil shit?!

This sort of thing is why I hate the US government now…

If a half-heart attempt at reinforcing Pan-Pacific Economic law is disgusting evil shit, I'm curious as to how you feel about… well everything else really.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!