Forums / Discussion / General

233,021 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

R.I.P. James Avery Sr (voice of Shredder on TMNT and Uncle Phil on the Fresh Prince)

Last posted Jan 02, 2014 at 07:01PM EST. Added Jan 01, 2014 at 01:27PM EST
11 posts from 10 users

Confirmed by none other than Alfonso Rubiero on facebook/twitter (Carlton Banks). CNN yet to confirm, but seeing as this came from none other than Carlton…

:(

EDIT: I Meant James Avery Sr. :(

Last edited Jan 01, 2014 at 01:28PM EST

“I’m deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away. He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly,” Ribeiro, who played Cartlon Banks on the show, wrote on Twitter.

Shit, first day of the year and i am already depressed.

R.I.P James

You wonder if our parents felt this way when they see popular figures in their younger days die.

As for me, various people in sitcoms are like "family" or "friends" to us. Like in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, there were times where the show was funny and "Uncle Phil" was funny. In other times, he was a serious father figure and a respectable lawyer on television (but entirely different from the Cosby version which was indistinguishable from a "white," affluent family and very hard to relate to as a black person.)

I'm sure most actors and actresses don't like being associated with just one or two roles, but Uncle Phil played a role in my childhood in a way that was a bit more than an actor. I don't think 2-hour films really do that for most people, and most situational comedies don't have writing to do that usually. But The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air did (at least for me,) and James Avery's acting throughout helped create a "person" in my childhood who was somewhat believable and brought up a lot of good emotions for me. I think that's a testament to his acting.

I wish you peace (and pillowy mounds) in the next act, Uncle Phil.

Last edited Jan 01, 2014 at 06:21PM EST

I freaking loved Uncle Phil. And that was before I cared or knew anything about races, socioeconomic statuses, and all that jazz. For me the Fresh Prince was just a cool show for cool people that showed a funny, endearing, and silly sitcom family. I didn't think about any of the social commentary like I may consider at times now. I just know I loved that sitcom family that entertained me and made me smile. And Uncle Phil was a big part of that. Dang it.

ITT: ways Uncle Phil changed our lives.
Right, so, my brother is about eight years younger than me. Tonight he graduated from elementary school. I ended going along, partly because my brother's an okay guy and partly because my parents dragged me. So I got there, and the first thing I saw was that there were all these lolis. And the thing about elementary school grad lolis is that they like to think they're grown up. So, of course, they were all dressed really slutty. That was probably the third reason I stayed. Awesome smooth backs and delicious flat chests.

So the entire night was like slutty lolis on parade. But then, near the end of the ceremony, this one loli, who was trying not to look slutty and so was wearing a dress that went down to her feet (but strapless, so she still failed at the not slutty look) goes up. She walked across the stage and got her diploma, and then she headed for the stairs down. Then, right as she got there, she stepped on the bottom of her skirt. I could tell right away it was going to go. She slipped forward and tried to grab it, but by then it was over her delicious flat chest and about to go the whole way. To top it off, she was stumbling toward the stairs. She was about to fall and my mom got scared, she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel Air." I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, The license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, But I thought "Nah forget it, Yo home to Bel Air." I pulled up to the house about seven or eight, and I yelled to the cabby "Yo holmes, smell ya later." Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!