Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Wow, we have a lot of members.

Last posted Dec 03, 2009 at 10:47PM EST. Added Dec 02, 2009 at 09:32PM EST
22 posts from 11 users

I took Atari's advice and "Did the math" We have 8556 users.
We're ahead of Moore's law! (Not that it matters)
Now I'm going to play Tempest 2000 on my Atari Jaguar.

I may or may not find anything useful to contribute, I am more interested in learning about how the internet and instant, annonymous communication is shaping the future. Memes do seem to reflect a growing trend of mass "flocking" (for lack of a better term). The diversity of obscure images/ideas that come into mainstream use are amazing. It would appear that many of the original ideas I have seen are based on random miss-spelling, poor grammar, language barrier issues, and the universal apeal of kittens (see above posts). Over time, I have watched the "trendy" types trying to stay ahead with stranger and stranger concepts. Technology Duck is not exactly rocket science, and yet it is still accesible to many, on the other hand, schoop-de-whoop is identifiable to many, but not as easily understood. Many consumers will laugh at the addition of a weegee or shoopy de without understanding why they are funny. Once again however, kittens are universally cute, and baby talk preceeds the internet. Several trends (or memes in some cases) have evolved on archaic ideas that still ripple through the internet. Only recently has it become verbotten to use the term Bulletin Board, or to use a Modem (dial up… 14.4K was the shit!). Up until mass acceptance of the computer as a platform for entertainment as opposed to a tool, the workings of all aspects of the machine was revered, understood and accepted. The history was kept alive. Not sure how many of todays kids sit and write simple programs in basic anymore, but a lot of us used RND to make guessing games at one point or another back then. It has been fascinating trying to learn to think of these machines as a form of entertainment. My kids (and grandkids) don't really know them as anything else, they certainly don't know jack about how they work, or why some things are (just accept that the USB port is one of the greatest interfaces to hit the consumer market). Sorry for the ramble, have had a few pints…

Its really strange though, theres so many members yet theres only a bunch of us that are really active on a regular basis. I like it though, it makes it feel like we are a small community even though we really arent.

Gleuch just added email verification and Recaptcha for new users in the last few days. It's already cut down on the spam accounts. But yeah, the activity here in the forumsonly represents <1% of total site traffic. We really are a tiny little community maintaining a widely-used resource.

Just a quick question… How many admins are there? With the handful of people I have in my list so far, I've got ten under the Admin heading (and this is not yet including Blubber (I'm working backwards from page 238. I'm still on page 190)).

Ah yes. That makes 11. Kroosh was an intern, Jimi was a staff writer briefly over the summer.
As you know, Olivia designed our T-Shirts.

When it comes to reviewing and confirming meme entry Submissions, that's mostly the work of myself, Brad, Greg, Blubber, Jamie, Yatta, and Ellie.

8556 users?!?! THAT'S OVER NINE TH… aw, no it's not…
I haven't done anything useful… yet I believe I am not a troll.
I've been here just long enough to not be a Newfag (pardon my chanspeak)
That makes me? Deadwood?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!