Forums / Discussion / General

233,053 total conversations in 7,793 threads

+ New Thread

Warner Bros. working on a Minecraft movie

Last posted Apr 07, 2014 at 12:30PM EDT. Added Feb 27, 2014 at 08:34PM EST
19 posts from 17 users

At first I thought it was going to be animated and look similar to the popular YouTube animations based off of it and have the original, cube-y art style, but live-action?

Also, what is it going to be about? Not much potential in a full-length film for story without it being totally ridiculous.

I'm trying to think, this could be good, but it could be awful. Why a live action? I'm happy with the great animators on YouTube like Slamacow and CaptainSparklez, and series like DigBuildLive. Minecraft is becoming something huge, bigger than the ten million players.

To see the Minecraft movie, first you need a ticket. So you punch one of the NPCs standing outside the theater to get a ticket.

Then you need popcorn. So you punch the dude behind the counter to get popcorn.

Then when you enter the theater, darkness falls and you have only moments to build a barricade out of theater seats before cubey blue monsters start swarming over you.

Are we all sure that the Minecraft movie is not already out? I feel like I've seen it before.

Also, here's Mad's "Criminal Minecraft" short if anyone reading this thread hasn't seen it yet.

Last edited Feb 27, 2014 at 09:40PM EST

All I can think of in this context, live-action movie development with a patently incompatible premise conjoined, is that Howard the Duck debacle. Except Minecraft doesn't really have any single story. And it's all cubes.

I just don't see how this could be good. Pardon my pessimism.

Calling worst case scenario plot:

It'll start like the Mario Bros. movie that never happened. Steve from present day Earth is magically transported to Minecraftia, either from staring at his computer too closely, or a reason that makes no sense at all. Viewer thinks we're gonna see him survive the first night, but is instead immediately found and rescued by Testificate villagers from zombie villagers, and brought to their cut and paste medieval village. The only competent warrior in this village is also the female lead, and the only villager to not have a squidward nose. Village is peaceful and inexplicably alone in the world, but no one seems to realize this or care. They mine coal, iron, and lapis lazuli. They mostly don't mine diamonds because, as the female lead will explain to Steve, "the diamond caves are just too beautiful to ruin."

Herobrine is the villain (panda rings give us money!); looks nothing like Steve, is bald, dark robed wizard with god-mode eyes and face scarring; bonus points if he's somehow related to Steve (My brother who ran away? No way!); he's a take-over-the-world villain. Oh, and redstone, redstone, redstone. Works almost nothing like in the games, Herobrine uses it for everything magical.

Diamond cave tour is ruined when Herobrine shows up to torment village and capture villagers for enslavement/zombification. Uses slaves to work his mines and get him more redstone. Steve confronts Herobrine ("No Steve, don't!"), and Herobrine reveals that the village sits on the biggest deposit of redstone in the world and that his ultimate plan is to take it and conquer the world (aka: this village). Steve ain't havin' that, grabs random shield and holds it pseudo-menacingly in front of himself ("No Steve, he'll kill you!"). Herobrine laughs, pulls out a handful of redstone dust, and uses it to summon THE ONLY CREEPER WE WILL SEE IN THE MOVIE, but will be spammed in the trailers to make it seem like they're all over the place; only looks vaguely like a creeper. Steve and the creeper run towards each other (yes, the creeper will run) and the creeper will explode. Steve will only be knocked unconscious, however, because that small shield totally absorbed most of the explosion. Steve wakes up, finds out the female lead was one of the ones captured (really?) and taken to Herobrine's stronghold/underground-mine-dungeon-thing. Gear-up sequence ensues, gets really weak and humble looking chain-mail armor and sword, is wished good luck by the village, and gets to Herobrine's lair in 10 minutes. Sneaks in, discovers minecarts filled with red-TNT. Yes, Herobrine's plan for ruling the world is to blow up the only village there is to rule over. Steve moves on, finds and rescues the female lead, only for them both to be caught and captured shortly after. Herobrine offers Steve a chance to fight him one-on-one (why?). Steve wins, gives lecture on goodness ("Dad loved you, too" or somethin' like that), Herobrine has a change of heart. But it's too late: the carts were already sent towards the village through the caves. Plus, as a side effect of the battle, the whole lair is auto-magically collapsing. Female lead is off to get the villagers out of the caves, Steve stays to try and stop the carts ("Be careful, Steve! Oh, and I love you!"). Herobrine chooses to stay and die ('cuz loose ends). Steve rides a minecart Indiana Jones style, catches up to red-TNT in less than 5 minutes, uses track switch to redirect the carts away from village. The carts and Steve fly off dead end, carts fall into one shaft and Steve into another. Explosion. Back at the village, everyone cheering, female lead crying. Steve bouncing off the walls of the shaft, can hear player damage noises, fall out of the world, subtle portal sound effect as screen fades to black. Steve wakes up in his apartment, "Was it all just a dream?"; encounters subtle hint that it wasn't. Goes to a bar, sits looking sad and reflective. Hears a female voice, "Hey, guy. What's got you lookin' so down?" Steve looks up to see a woman that looks just like the female lead. He smiles; cut to credits.

Post-credits scene will tease for a sequel that won't happen: a villager exploring the remains of Herobrine's lair; hear an Enderman growl, followed by teleport sound. "Who's there? Come out and show yourself. Ah, you there. Are you--"; shock and awe on villager's face as you hear a crescendo-ing angry enderman scream; cut to black.

Movie tanks like The Last Airbender for being poorly done and unfaithful to source material. We never see any monsters except for the one creeper. The protag never even holds a pickaxe. No portals, no Nether, no End, no Enderdragon. No redstone machines, no architecture, no blocks, no crafting. Three months after it comes out, it becomes SyFy's favorite movie to play for weeks.

Minecraft community laments. Notch isn't blamed. Try to forget. Fix your game, Jeb!

This will be like the proposed Halo movie, it will sputter out and die young.

Warner Bros. just can't follow up on the Lego movie when they make another movie based off of pop-culture and it's live-action (there are some live-action parts of the Lego movie, but a full live-action movie, ugh.)

It's going to be one of those cheesy CGI movies, like The Matrix (The Matrix wasn't cheesy but the CGI in it was cheesy).

cleogms wrote:

well if you take a look at TopG.org minecraft servers (are millions) you will understand how many people are playing this game so it-s normal to make a movie

By that logic there should have been a Pong movie in the late 70's. Also, I'm still waiting for a Tetris movie.

And I think most people are aware that minecraft has a lot of players, buddy.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!