Forums / Discussion / General

232,988 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

Which site did you get here from?

Last posted Jul 11, 2014 at 02:08PM EDT. Added Jul 06, 2014 at 09:23PM EDT
41 posts from 40 users

Since KYM is a website about other websites, it's highly unlikely that you didn't have a "main" website before this one. so what was it?

I used to be on youtube a lot until i ended up here.

YouTube, Newgrounds, and 4chan (but I was scared to leave /a/ and /lit/ back then for whatever reason). Out of all of those I'd say the main one was Newgrounds, as ashamed as I should be for admitting that.

I also used to comment on youtube quite a lot, and at the same time enjoyed lurking in the KYM image galleries. But after they made the comment system all shitty, I decided to make an account on KYM and comment here instead.

Last edited Jul 06, 2014 at 09:34PM EDT

I was largely addicted to youtube before I joined, I wanted to learn about Rage comics (believing they were the only memes on the internet at the time). Now I just stay here because I want to learn more about the internet outside of youtube ( and google plus ruined commenting for me) and I want to some how boost both popularity and public awareness of the Transformers Entry. I really do wonder where I'll head once my personal research of internet history/"memes" is complete along with my ultimate plan for the Transformers entry.

Last edited Jul 07, 2014 at 12:52AM EDT

Used to hangout at 9GAG. was looking at the origin of the arrow in the knee joke back in 2011, ended up finding KYM. Fast forward to 2013, i started lurking here and watched the youtube channel. By january 2014, decided to make an account.

Last edited Jul 07, 2014 at 12:45AM EDT

My evolution: AOL Forums β†’ Xanga β†’ MySpace β†’ Facebook β†’ 4chan β†’ KYM

Srsly. Before 4chan I didn't know half the net existed (outside of pr0nz). I'm now on Twitter when I'm not on here.

Last edited Jul 07, 2014 at 12:04PM EDT

I found this place thanks to YouTube. Ironically I've seen the KYM episode but they weren't the one that convinced me to join in, it was a YouTube Poop series called the Frollo Show that did.

Akin to The Cute Master, I started using the Internet in a way that more mainstream people might have.

• I got a MySpace back in high school (I'm 26 now) at the request of friends.
  • I had an overlap between MySpace and Facebook during the beginning of college to help meet and keep up with people at a massive university.
  • I spent a lot of time on YouTube (mostly for music) and Facebook (to keep up with friends) in college and grad school. I lurked KYM mostly for funny pictures and the well-written articles, as I was objectively interested in Web Culture, but I never posted.
    • In grad school, I saw the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic entry. That spurred me to actually become a part of the community here.
  • In grad school and now, I spend my time among KYM, Derpibooru, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and YouTube. I don't post comments like I used to or any videos to YouTube. I only use Facebook for friends I know IRL for the most part. Twitter is for following. Derpibooru is just to comment on pictures of ponies, but I know some of the users despite not usually directly interacting with them. I also use Tumblr to follow people, but I'm becoming more active in reblogging and commenting now. KYM is my Internet "home" as far as Web Culture goes. I've never really had a solely "web-based" community outside of it. MySpace and Facebook have all been with people I've met for the most part.

One day because I was curious, I looked up some meme (maybe Trollface or something) and found KYM. I lurked a lot and read the comments and binged on some articles (for knowledge of course) and eventually since I loved the community so much and I wanted to participate in the comments, I made an account, but it remained mostly unused for months. I used YouTube a lot and still do, but my main site was actually Yahoo Answers for quite a while. It was fun as hell. Occasionally I answered things truthfully, but most of the time I just trolled and screwed around on the religion section and tried to educate some dickheads on the "Gender Debate" section. After trolling a lot, I ended up being banned multiple times (because you know, Yahoo), and my IP got blacklisted so bad that I just stopped putting so much into it and just suddenly left the community.

After that, I started visiting KYM more often and became a regular.

At first, most of my Internet time was spent making stupid-as-fuck sprite comics, and indulging in sprite comics others had made. Specifically, I was a huge Sonic fan, and gobbled up as many Sonic-based sprite comics as I could.

…

Shut up, I was twelve.

Eventually, I graduated to reading drawn comics, and then worked my way up to watching Flash. I joined the Newgrounds community for a while and made a Facebook, which, like Evander, is more or less reserved for people I know IRL. I couldn't care less about its community.

Thought Newgrounds was the first Internet community I joined, I was never really a part of it. I've joined several other communities since Newgrounds, and called them all my "home" at some point or another, but the only one I've ever actually participated in to any notable extent is Know Your May Mays.

Last edited Jul 07, 2014 at 05:36PM EDT

Fimfiction.net (pony fanfiction website) was and still really is my "main" site from which I hopped onto the KYM ride.

I first discovered the site via google searching a meme.

xTSGx wrote:

Fimfiction.net (pony fanfiction website) was and still really is my "main" site from which I hopped onto the KYM ride.

I first discovered the site via google searching a meme.

Totally forgot I went 4chan β†’ Ponychan β†’ KYM

The pony was what got me here.

I don't remember how, but I know it was two years ago in my final semester of high school when I would just look at the images and articles I just found funny or interesting. However I didn't make my account until the Google+ abomination that became the comment section on YouTube, as it was my main website until that moment. And that's pretty much how I ended up here.

I learned how to internet through lurking the VG Cats forums. I spent alot of time in the random image threads but I never got around to joining. In 2008 I joined the Smogon forums but I kinda just shitposted, got bored and went back to lurking the VG Cats forums. But then the writer of VG Cats deleted the forums out of anger in 2011 because alot of people were dicks there and never brought them back since. Some users from the site set up their own forum with blackjack and hookers(where I first found out about mlp) but it went down in like a month or two if I'm not mistaken.

Then I went back to Smogon for awhile to do more shitposting, but soon I thought about joining other sites and found out about Know your Meme by googling mlp, lurked awhile and decided to join.

I don't really post anywhere else on the internet at the moment. I've never had a youtube account or anything and Smogon changed their format from fucking VBulletin to something hideous that I absolutely hate so I probably won't be posting there agian.

Last edited Jul 07, 2014 at 09:09PM EDT

I used to browse failblog ages ago then stopped moved on to memebase about 2 years ago and clicked the KYM tab one day. The MLP at the time annoyed me so much (this was back when %75 of the site was MLP/Brony related and no other meme or subculture got enough likes to be on most like/favourited etc) that I made an account and after a couple of days I changed my name and attitude and went to the only not-pony infested place on the site which was the forum. Since then I had a few breaks and changed my name but yeah.

I used to frequent deviantART and youtube before settling down here. Became familiar with the site thanks to the episodes but didn't actually come to this site until looking for the origin of a meme. Joined KYM to comment on a post.

I've seen the video on youtube explaining things like rickroll and old memes a loooong time ago back when they were still fresh, but never thought much about it other than that they were informational.

But it was in 2012 when the mlp fandom was growing that I discovered the mlp image gallery. I created an account to comment on some, got tired of ponies, but continued to look on this site for its other treasures.

I've always found myself on Youtube, but back in 2009, I regularly used the Bungie forums (back when Halo 3 was still hot at the time), as well as followed the HALOLZ website.

Not exactly sure how I found this place, but I have a different account that I signed up with back in September of '09. Then I got banned, and didn't come back until that December.

Last edited Jul 11, 2014 at 01:16PM EDT

The Official Xbox Forums and Stormfront were two sites that I used to spend a lot of my internet social life on, I only visit them on the odd occasions these days due to being too busy

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!