Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Perez Hilton Punch!

Last posted Aug 06, 2009 at 07:20PM EDT. Added Aug 02, 2009 at 03:10PM EDT
7 posts from 4 users

Anyone think that this is a meme? It was really blown up and mainstream, like the Christian Bail rant, but it also spread because of the internet. Perez twittered it, and made a youtube video, and then Will.I.Am made a response video, so the internet was highly involved. Thoughts?

I agree 100% with Bad Chenson. But I only half-agree with Badgerfrank10 and here's why:

Perez himself is very mainstream but that alone shouldn't discredit the meme. After all, Xzibit is mainstream, but Yo Dawg is definitely a meme. Patrick Duffy and Bill Cosby are both as mainstream as an actor can get, but they each inspired a number of memes that parody them.

Like it or not, there are tons of Internet Memes that come directly from the mainstream. But the business of celebrity gossip and Hollywood drama is still essentially the same as it was when it was found only in tabloids on the news-stand.

The key in figuring out if something is a meme is observing the propagating force, or what it is that makes the meme spread.

Great memes are spread by groups of users. Even if the source is mainstream, the users spread it around and create new instances without having to be pushed or prodded by the media. But if the event is already being hyped in massive numbers by the mainstream media BEFORE or WITHOUT the participation of self-motivated communities online, then it is no internet meme.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!