Forums / Discussion / General

232,594 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

Back to School Discussion

Last posted Sep 15, 2014 at 05:41AM EDT. Added Aug 25, 2014 at 07:08PM EDT
50 posts from 40 users

Holy fucking shit, only one more year of this nightmare!
Followed, of course, by at least four years of a whole different breed of nightmare.
Basically, it works like this:

But nah, I'll be fine. Got a couple of fun classes, especially film production, which I've been waiting to take since I heard about it in the sixth grade. As is typical, the dropped it a couple years later, along with the person who taught it, but they're bringing it back just in time for me. Hey, I guess my luck isn't all bad.

Finished 19 years of education a couple years ago, and dissertation back in May.

Now I get to enjoy all of you being back in school.

I think i'm alone on this one, but….

>mfw i miss my highschool days.

The education system was hell, but the moments with my friends were totally worth it.

Last edited Aug 26, 2014 at 05:25AM EDT

Starting my second year of art school tomorrow. I even redyed my hair a wacky color to show everyone just how special and unique I really am. Well, it's my second year, but I technically only finished one freshman semester cus I was a part time student last year. That's ok though, I'd much rather ease myself into the whole process than throw myself in completely like most students do. It ain't a race and I'm full time now so it's all gravy. I really wish my family didn't move to the other side of the city over the summer though (I am still living at home while going through college), that's kinda an unwanted stress, having to lug all my supplies across the city when originally my campus was literally less than a 5 minute walk from my house. Oh well, can't win them all.

@0.9999…=1:
Wow, I could've sworn you were in college already. Good luck in senior year, man. I expected senior year to be my best and easiest year of high school but it was honestly probably one of the worst for me. Mostly cus my guidance counselor shoved me into extra math and science classes that I struggled in (I had never had problems in either subject prior) and I didn't even need the damn classes and my school basically threw out the whole "senior privilege" thing the year I turned senior, so I didn't get a certain elevtive I really wanted but a bunch of twerpy Juniors did. Bastards. I'm ranting now. I just realized my little brother is gonna be a high school senior this year too. That's honestly kinda scary to think about.

@Sam:
Yeah, even though the education system is a million ways fucked the times with friends are always priceless

I graduated from my Library Science program back in May. Been working a temporary job while also searching for something a bit more permanent. Don't take your school years, be it high school or college, for granted. Once those are done, you'll get to face the "joys" of searching for a job. I suppose it doesn't help in my case that most of the jobs that I had been applying for are in higher education institutions which take notoriously long to hire people.

On another note, if certain things fall into place, I may start taking college courses again in order to make up for some deficiencies in coursework that's required to apply for a second Master's in Art Conservation I want to get. But that all depends on if I end up doing well on the Librarian civil service exam and actually get a job in order to pay for those classes.

I'm not really going back to my community college this year, which makes me feel a bit terrible. But the reason being is that there aren't that many courses offered for animation/acting/writing as it's a mostly medical school, but I am looking in to private lessons though. More than likely I might show up just to see the friends I made while I was there.

I got my college enrollment on Friday. Should start a couple of weeks after that. Even though we have to do two more years of education until we are 18 I was gonna do this anyway.

Last edited Aug 26, 2014 at 10:19AM EDT

I'm in round 2 of my junior year. I'm in 3 applied mathematics courses, 2 applied advanced physics courses, 3 labs, and 3 courses that will reck mai arse. The sad thing? I'm only enrolled in 3 courses for 12 hours. Engineering FTW.

If you're ever stressing about tests, just remember that in the latest episode of Yugioh Arc-V, the main character won not just in spite of, but because he didn't get a single question right. He even purposely got a question wrong just to deflect the penalty onto his opponent. That's right, kids, you, too, can screw up and have other people suffer the consequences of your mistakes. Ain't life just a children's card game?

I thought I had escaped the horrors of public speaking when Com 101 was finished. But for some reason, Intro to Computer Systems and Technical Writing now have powerpoint presentations.

This semester's not going to be fun.

So I have no idea how the American Education system works since I'm a British student, so I'm going to guess I'm probably one of the youngest here.

Anyway, on topic:

Just starting my AS Levels in a few weeks. Did above average on my GCSEs (mostly A's and B's, with the occasional A*), so I'm hoping this goes well. Any tips anyone could give me? Would be greatly appreciated.

Crimson Locks wrote:

Starting my second year of art school tomorrow. I even redyed my hair a wacky color to show everyone just how special and unique I really am. Well, it's my second year, but I technically only finished one freshman semester cus I was a part time student last year. That's ok though, I'd much rather ease myself into the whole process than throw myself in completely like most students do. It ain't a race and I'm full time now so it's all gravy. I really wish my family didn't move to the other side of the city over the summer though (I am still living at home while going through college), that's kinda an unwanted stress, having to lug all my supplies across the city when originally my campus was literally less than a 5 minute walk from my house. Oh well, can't win them all.

@0.9999…=1:
Wow, I could've sworn you were in college already. Good luck in senior year, man. I expected senior year to be my best and easiest year of high school but it was honestly probably one of the worst for me. Mostly cus my guidance counselor shoved me into extra math and science classes that I struggled in (I had never had problems in either subject prior) and I didn't even need the damn classes and my school basically threw out the whole "senior privilege" thing the year I turned senior, so I didn't get a certain elevtive I really wanted but a bunch of twerpy Juniors did. Bastards. I'm ranting now. I just realized my little brother is gonna be a high school senior this year too. That's honestly kinda scary to think about.

@Sam:
Yeah, even though the education system is a million ways fucked the times with friends are always priceless

Well, I guess I've reached my pinnacle of maturity already. Is that really sad? You decide!.

But seriously, I think it's a bad idea to judge a person's… "wisdom" (I guess) solely based on their age/grade once they hit high school. I hang out with a group of upcoming sophomores all the time because of similar interests and personalities, and they're leagues ahead of more than half of the recently graduated class at my school in terms of acting like adults when they need to (well… most of them anyway). In fact, it's almost unbelievable how horribly some of those seniors acted.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Well, I guess I've reached my pinnacle of maturity already. Is that really sad? You decide!.

But seriously, I think it's a bad idea to judge a person's… "wisdom" (I guess) solely based on their age/grade once they hit high school. I hang out with a group of upcoming sophomores all the time because of similar interests and personalities, and they're leagues ahead of more than half of the recently graduated class at my school in terms of acting like adults when they need to (well… most of them anyway). In fact, it's almost unbelievable how horribly some of those seniors acted.

Well, actually I thought I just remembered you mentioning being in college at some point, but there are so many KYM college students it's pretty hard keeping track. I don't really think about people's ages that often when talking to people online honestly. I think I just default everyone to being my age unless otherwise specified.

This week was the first of my senior year. I don't have too many hard classes, so this semester hs soul be fine. I also have a fucking awesome video game design class where some of the homework is literally to play and review video games.

I graduated high school this year, so now I'm going into my school's vocational program. I really hope things will turn out well and that no drama will be birthed or resurfaced. We're all adults after all.

Well I'm heading to college(2nd year) next Tuesday, It'll be back to hard work and stress as I try to take on whatever my college throws at me and hope I work hard enough so that my dad doesnt need to yell at me.
At least I'll be able to go back to my Gaming Club!

It's been two years since I graduated from college and I already miss being back there (except for all the overloaded works and deadlines). I might consider studying again but with a different bachelor degree.

Papa Coolface wrote:

Glorious collegiate master race reporting in. Fuck your shitty parties, it's gonna be maximum study time.

Ha! All I see are pleb race freshman and sophomore classes here. Where are your upper-level materials? The only ones I'll give your credit for are Thermo and Diff Eq. Try some upper-level applied physics, thermodynamics, and mathmatics.

Last edited Aug 28, 2014 at 10:50AM EDT

>Extremely foreign math teacher
>Skip Syllabus
>Slow speech
>Really fucking slow speech
>Speaks in the lowest key possible
>Not engaging at all
>Nearly fell asleep
>Takes it straight from the book
>"over 100 problem homework, due next class"
>Over 60 dollar book

Fuck.

Chickenhound the Cruel wrote:

>Extremely foreign math teacher
>Skip Syllabus
>Slow speech
>Really fucking slow speech
>Speaks in the lowest key possible
>Not engaging at all
>Nearly fell asleep
>Takes it straight from the book
>"over 100 problem homework, due next class"
>Over 60 dollar book

Fuck.

Oh gawd. Ha. What class? Also how much is the book? If you ever get to calculus, the books cost about $200 new. lol.

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

Oh gawd. Ha. What class? Also how much is the book? If you ever get to calculus, the books cost about $200 new. lol.

Elementary Algebra.

Math is not a natural skill for me.

I am retaking this class

I deeply regret not passing my last class.

3 week check in. Whare u fgts @???

Me: I'm not lost, but I'm just about to get behind. I have assignments due everyday next week and we have just started labs. Those are pretty freakin hard. Lots of sim programs and reports to write. Kill me now. Lol.

I have had my first week at college (Tues, Wed and Thursdays). I am doing Creative Media which is basically making video games. It's been pretty good. Better at 16 to go to college then Sixth Form like R21 in my opinion.

high school sucks, i wanna leave it teenager noises
but seriously, its ok; its better than it was last year.
i still sit alone at lunch though, get forgotten, treated like i don't exist etc etc. but everyone goes through that right?
it doesn't faze me as much as it used too.
also i'm going to try to be a A level honor student; so if i'm not online, i'm probably studying.

Jeez, I started my junior year like a month ago, where the fuck were y'all? It's pretty nice – I have based Music Appreciation, our football team is 4-0 so far (of which Yours Truly is the halfback), and the brony club (Celestia's Council) hit thirty members. So yeah.

Last edited Sep 15, 2014 at 05:42AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!