Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

What's the little thing you can do that you're really proud of?

Last posted Sep 08, 2014 at 08:53AM EDT. Added Sep 06, 2014 at 06:36PM EDT
26 posts from 21 users

It doesn't have to be anything major, just something that you're capable of doing that probably brings you more pride than it should, maybe only something you really care about. Keep it SFW, please, nobody wants to know that.

I can type like a boss. My personal typing style uses mostly the index and middle fingers on both hands. Not the most accurate, but holy shit muh speed. No looking here, casuls. Touch typing or bust.

I picked up the old Popcap game Typer Shark again recently. When you create your profile the first time, it asks you to take a little test to recommend your difficulty level. Here's my results.

XTREME TYPING SKILLS! GIT GUD!

• I memorized the capital of almost every country in the world.
  • I memorized the flags of many countries, including every European, Asian, and South American country.
  • I memorized where every country is located on a map.

Bionic Kraken wrote:

• I memorized the flags of many countries, including every European, Asian, and South American country.

I know who to ask about Geography now. You ask me to find anything more obscure than Australia and I'll just do this:

Just being able to come up with new ideas all the time. And by that, I mean ideas for works of fiction, specifically science fiction. For example, here's one that I'm thinking about expanding on in writing:
In the relatively near future, we are introduced to the life of a high-ranking police officer.
It is coming up on the tenth anniversary of the most bizarre, unexpected, and consequential event in human history: The day when every killer would come to join their victim. A new reality, where at the instant when a man's heart stopped and his mind went cold due to the direct action of another, that person would collapse to the ground with no hope of revival, and no evidence of the force- or being- behind it. Just or unjust, deserving or undeserving, innocent or guilty- these questions mean nothing to the invisible reaper.
Him and his partners have somewhat comfortably settled back into their roles as enforcers of the law with the new set of standards they must now adhere to. Except that a memory from five years prior- a trail he followed, a sight he was not supposed to see- has never left the back of his mind. Despite himself, he will go searching for answers, assemble the pieces of a vast puzzle, and become a part of something unimaginable.

Last edited Sep 06, 2014 at 11:42PM EDT

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Just being able to come up with new ideas all the time. And by that, I mean ideas for works of fiction, specifically science fiction. For example, here's one that I'm thinking about expanding on in writing:
In the relatively near future, we are introduced to the life of a high-ranking police officer.
It is coming up on the tenth anniversary of the most bizarre, unexpected, and consequential event in human history: The day when every killer would come to join their victim. A new reality, where at the instant when a man's heart stopped and his mind went cold due to the direct action of another, that person would collapse to the ground with no hope of revival, and no evidence of the force- or being- behind it. Just or unjust, deserving or undeserving, innocent or guilty- these questions mean nothing to the invisible reaper.
Him and his partners have somewhat comfortably settled back into their roles as enforcers of the law with the new set of standards they must now adhere to. Except that a memory from five years prior- a trail he followed, a sight he was not supposed to see- has never left the back of his mind. Despite himself, he will go searching for answers, assemble the pieces of a vast puzzle, and become a part of something unimaginable.

I'm writing a science fiction fairy tale, with animals exploring interstellar space while learning valuable lessons about life during their voyage.

Yes I know, nobody cares…

Last edited Sep 07, 2014 at 08:04AM EDT

Bionic Kraken wrote:

same here

thanks, /int/

Old Man GigaChad wrote:

Eh… based on what I've read of this, my story would be somewhat similar in tone, but the basic premise and its resolution would be quite different. For one, it would eventually be revealed that the agent(s) behind everything are not "supernatural", at least in a strict sense.

And as a bonus, here's another (older) one that I posted on these forums a while ago:

What is really the point of life? Of course the pursuit of knowledge is a great and noble cause, but what happens when that runs out? When we’ve learned all there is to learn?

It is an unknown time in the far distant future- at least millions, if not billions, of years ahead- and the human race had long ago met its strange and seemingly final destiny. An unfathomable number of lives are being lived out in a vast and ever-growing network of metal and wire; not, however, in a way that we would recognize.
Their perfectly engineered bodies lie in smooth pods, never aging, while an assortment of monitors, chemicals, tubes and electrodes allow them to remain in a permanent state of absolute ecstasy. That is, after all, what we all wanted, right? Infinite joy, infinite pleasure, no pain, no sadness?

Somewhere buried deep in this matrix that is our final achievement as a people, among the rows and rows of blissful sleep, a pair of eyes open.

Bionic Kraken wrote:

I did that with the states, because 'Merica

When I was a kid I beat The legend of zelda: Ocarina of Time without a guide and without knowing english, because of this I miss a lot of items including the goron tunic so yeah the fire temple was very hard.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!