Forums / Discussion / General

232,977 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

1-year at this website experiences.

Last posted Feb 09, 2015 at 04:55PM EST. Added Feb 07, 2015 at 11:08AM EST
32 posts from 27 users

Well it's been a long year here at KYM, but I made it through my first year. It may not seem long, but it feels like I've seen a lot of things. But I want to hear what it was like when you guys were here for your 1st full year.

the site was ~1 year old and the future was bright. the site was still owned by rocketboom and they still made episodes. the biggest problem on the site was touhou-fags and I still wrote entries and gave a shit in general.

Captain Blubber wrote:

the site was ~1 year old and the future was bright. the site was still owned by rocketboom and they still made episodes. the biggest problem on the site was touhou-fags and I still wrote entries and gave a shit in general.

Didn't the Touhoufags arrive later, around 1 year and a half or so?
Anyway, nostalgia time.

I think at about a year I stopped being a total cunt, or at least was on the path to becoming a tolerable user and not a turd everyone wanted to scrape off of the forums. I was also actually contributing to the site I think. Oh yeah, and brones were still ruling. Damn, so much changed in a year.

I skipped like 6 months of my first year, I actually only made the account to comment on an image (got the time comment btw fuck yea). by the time I got back to it, ponies weren't really rulling the internet, was just kinda nothing. Kill la Kill stuff popped up, some pokemon stuff. nothing major.

think the only major event that happened while I was here was GG, and I have contributed very little even to this day. one article, a few image. probably going to be another year before that article gets confirmed.

Well… after a year I stopped trying so hard to fit in and just, well, did. In terms of memories of about a year ago… 1. Furries didn't rule the Pokemon Gallery, in fact, furry pictures were essentially cringeworthy 2. Cringeworthy was one of the most fun image galleries on the site until Herculoon and a bunch of idiots got it locked up permanently 3. FNaF didn't exist until about nine months after I joined the site 4. Bronies ruled the site, MLP was always the top viewed gallery 5. Smash 4 hype storm was getting started 6. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were finally released, only for the hype to return with Pokemon X and Y. 7. Social Justice bullshit wasn't as widespread 8. Reaction Images was still Reaction Faces 9. Tharja ruled the Fire Emblem gallery (For some reason) 10. Advice Animal articles stirred up the funniest shitstorms 11. Internet Paraphillia was Shitstorm-Central And that's about all I can remember…
Last edited Feb 07, 2015 at 01:51PM EST

Well one year ago I:
- had never been to the IRC
- was still working on the KYM fighting game (more complaining then working albeit)
- was still known as Ring Pop

the site was still owned by rocketboom and they still made episodes. the biggest problem on the site was touhou-fags and I still wrote entries and gave a shit in general.

lmao at tryhard blubber

Me in 2012:

• I wasn't a mod
  • My contribution chart was entirely orange and yellow
  • Syndic still made NatRP's and I participated in one for the first time
  • We played Mafia with opspe, Bob and Verbose
  • Me and opspe shared DnB music. He introduced me to State of Mind and many DnB artists from NZ that I myself didn't know about
  • Thomas Nair got trolled
  • Gamzee had sexy times with Ric
  • Pony general 3 started…and ended…with all 200 pages just over a month after it began
  • Pony general 4 started
  • PONY GENERAL PONY GENERAL PONY GENERAL PONY GENERAL PONY GENERAL
Last edited Feb 07, 2015 at 09:56PM EST

Ahhh… memories, I have some of them when I was very active here in 2012.

I remember when I was lurking everyday in the pony section
I remember when the pony image section was always in the first place every day.
I remember when everyone made drama when the pony image section wasn't in the first place
I remember when I was roleplaying in that thread
I remember when there were less mods here
I remember when Sam was Jetstream Sam and was roleplaying
I remember that troll called Docta Caffeine
I remember Verbose…Actually, what happened to him?

There was a "KYM Team" and some people in labcoats made episodes about stuff. Ponies were in their infancy. I had almost decided to make an account. The old embedded Youtube player brought cheer and happiness to the hearts of kids. The front page wasn't all Gamergate. Don and RandomMan weren't considered objects of worship, and Particle Mare didn't have a cult. And it was still a soul-less meme machine.

My first year on kym was utter cancer because of that shitty fucking rp thread me and the others had going on. Thank god that is it is locked and buried. So many painful and cringe worthy memories in it and the stress it produced was unbearable. Though I do have to say that I still do not regret it because the people I befriended in it are the best thing that has happened to me on this site.

It was the golden age of the bronies when I've been around. Not just a golden age for bronies on this site, but the whole internet. Season 2 just premiered, and the comments section of the MLP entry was crazy trending 24/7. Comments were actually nice!!! the mlp general thread had this saint called Dead Parrot who posted all the time. If you're real nice to him, he'll -- quite literally -- give you a plushie.

Nearly five years ago, I wrote an article. Captain Blubber still did stuff and had admin powers. Jamie was still around. I argued with Chris Menning a lot. There were a lot of people obsessed with Touhou. Real Genius was still around, being a fucking psycho. Tomberry joined. Brad joined a few hours after I did. I joined the IRC for the first time. I got banned for the first time. The forum had no subforums. There was no forum karma. CAMOAWAM.

How time flies.

@Onion

mlp general thread had this saint called Dead Parrot who posted all the time. If you’re real nice to him, he’ll -- quite literally -- give you a plushie.

MLP General still has that saint. Although he had to stop giving out plushies.

About three years ago, I created an account names GrievousThePonyHater just to post hate comments at the bronies. I was unaware of the My Little Pony and found it weird when grown men are watching a kid's show. When I watched the show out of morbid curiosity, I liked it. I quickly changed attitude and my totally obvious nick. Hell, I even have that ponified General Grievous avatar. Today, that account is dead, but I'm still alive and kicking. I'm currently on hiatus on the fandom and is waiting for Season 5 (They will announce Season 5, it's just a matter of time… Damn it Hasbro! Why the delay?!).

Forums feel a bit empty today. Maybe it's because of the deactivations and bans of recent users and mods. Though there are new users frolicking the comments section, but I really miss the good 'ol days. raises a wine glass Stay classy, KYM.

To recap what KYM did to me in one year:

The good:
- I drastically improved my art style, thanks to some of the talented users (Before) (After)
- I became more socially interactive with new friends on the other side of the world
- I at least made a name for myself
- I was introduced to the wonderful concept of yuri

The bad:
- I started countless shitstorms, including the infamous tzeni thing and Slime Cap
- I became an egotistical bastard, according to some of you
- Several people now hate me. This isn't limited to KYM.

The ugly:
- I crave rabbit dick
- I'm not giving any details but now me and my best friend are now the OTP of my other best friend. Don't ask but a certain KYM user is to blame. Not that this is a bad thing.

But if I were to go back and do it all again I wouldn't change a thing, because it's made me the asshole you all know and love. Here's to another year at KYM. Let's see what shit I get into this time.

Asura wrote:

My first year on kym was utter cancer because of that shitty fucking rp thread me and the others had going on. Thank god that is it is locked and buried. So many painful and cringe worthy memories in it and the stress it produced was unbearable. Though I do have to say that I still do not regret it because the people I befriended in it are the best thing that has happened to me on this site.

And don't forget when we made a KYM family photo of the rp group.
Ahhh, what a shitty and wonderful memories, isn't?

I was stupid. Everything is stupid.
I'm still stupid.
Also shit was happening here and there but I couldn't care to give much of a shit.

Been here for a year myself as well.

Have to say things here ended up more interesting than I expected. I initially joined just so I could leave random comments on uploads I happened to like, but I feel like I actually ended up being part of some kind of community. During my first year it was like this:

-Joined last February
-Spent a lot of time here during my final semester in college, but still got all my work done on time, heh heh
-Discovered pages with more active members that I can talk with constantly (biggest one being GGate)
-Ended up with a lot of people following me out of nowhere, surprising me because I never expected people on here would find me likable enough to be worth following [unwarrantedselfloating.jontron]
-Also found that a good majority of people on this site are pretty chill dudes I can talk with about various things and not worry about getting lots of replies that can be summed up as "ew what a freak, gtfo and never come back"

For one this is probably one of the few sites I can think of where I can actually have a semi-mature discussion about paraphilias, the fact I'm trans (since a decent number of people around here don't care for the SJW types, some people want to know from a non-SJW what it means to be a trans person and how we like to be treated [quickest summary: we like to be treated like anyone else, with respect]), and other such things. Like I admit I'm surprised, I never thought I'd get that sort of stuff from a website whose main purpose is documenting interest culture, particularly memes that most sites would just treat as "lol, that's funny."

The community also surprised me by not being as annoyed as I had thought whenever I keep using certain comments sections in an almost blog-like manner to mention if something big has been going on with me (I don't use social media, so because of that the stuff people would usually use social media for I end up posting in comment sections, though some of it I try and keep to my profile page). For one I got a lot of positive replies when I mentioned some time ago I was having lower back surgery and may not be on as much for a while (that was a week and a half ago as of posting, so things in that area have gotten better, even if not 100%).

Also not many people seem to be terribly annoyed by my infamous "wall of text" replies and comments, like this forum post.

TL;DR version: this site ended up being better than expected and I hope to continue being a member who others like having around.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Me in 2012:

• I wasn't a mod
  • My contribution chart was entirely orange and yellow
  • Syndic still made NatRP's and I participated in one for the first time
  • We played Mafia with opspe, Bob and Verbose
  • Me and opspe shared DnB music. He introduced me to State of Mind and many DnB artists from NZ that I myself didn't know about
  • Thomas Nair got trolled
  • Gamzee had sexy times with Ric
  • Pony general 3 started…and ended…with all 200 pages just over a month after it began
  • Pony general 4 started
Last edited Mar 03, 2015 at 06:37AM EST

Seeing as how 4 days ago marks my 2 year anniversary of joining KYM, it seems appropriate to post in this thread.

My first experience with KYM was watching the episodes on YouTube. I would always love hearing how several memes started out. Sadly, I discovered the show nearing it's cancellation. Eventually, part 2 of the Pokemon memes was released. I found later found out it would be the last episode. I wanted more knowledge, so I went to the site. I lurked without an account from around September to, obviously, February 4th.

From then on, I went under this account… and said somethings I later regretted. Ruined Childhood was my absolute favorite image gallery at the time. Then Childhood Enhanced was created. After that, Cringe worthy. All of a sudden, I felt the urge to look at other galleries more often. Soon, the three galleries I mentioned were locked due to people posting images they probably shouldn't have posted.

So here I am now… still without the ability to make a good entry… still a horrible contributor to a pretty good site. But hey, at least I can learn how to be a good contributor to the site.

Hmm…What can I remember from December 31, 2012 – December 31, 2013?

Well, when I fist joined, all I did was upload photos and videos, and left comments almost everywhere I went. I was especially fond of Gangnam Style and anime back then. A few days after joining, I fell into a depression. I always came to KYM to escape reality and find peace here, which I still do… That's basically my first year. Want my second year? Just ask.

Four months and eight days into my time as a member of the site, I created my first forum post. (That timing feels totally wrong, but the numbers don't lie.) It was this shit that nobody gave a fuck about..
Yes, it took a while for me to figure out what the hell I was doing, but it wasn't actually that long. Maybe a month, or even a bit less. And all the while, before and after, I was kicking around and having fun in the comments. Both areas of KYM seem just about the same today as the way I remember them, but with a fluctuating cast of characters. And though I may joke like everyone else, I honestly have no problem with that. It really is a cool little "club" we have.

I joined here March 15, 2010. During my first year, the website went under a major layout change. I didn't like it at first, but then I started to warm up to it a bit. The one thing I don't like about how KYM is now is back when I started was that all the memes tended to be equal popularity, and some new big ones would get a brief boost in popularity. Also it was interesting to see a variety of new memes appear. But nowadays there are always memes that are always talked about and ones that disappear into the back, and you can always expect what's to get an entry; mostly major news events, hashtag trends, and hit songs.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

It's strange. There seems to be something about you that prevents you from being a mainstay in any memory

I'm the invisible furry mod

Always there but never really there

Like DPF probably except I'm not a weeaboo

Asura wrote:

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!