Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

MLB 2015 Season General - I, For One, Welcome Our New Commissioner Overlord

Last posted Dec 11, 2015 at 04:23PM EST. Added Feb 18, 2015 at 02:36PM EST
253 posts from 16 users

Welcome to our 4th annual Major League Baseball general thread where we discuss all things related to our National Pastime. During the offseason, the following events occurred:

Robert Manfred replaced Bud Selig as the Commissioner of Major League Baseball.
San Diego and Boston acquired a lot of talent while Atlanta and Oakland lost a lot of talent.
MLB is testing a new pitcher's clock system.
Anthony Bosch, the man who gave A-Rod his steroids, has been sentenced to 4 years in jail.
While Cincinnati is going to host the next All Star Game, San Diego has won the 2016 ASG while Miami has won the 2017 ASG.

The following free agent signings have occurred:

Max Scherzer (DET) signs with the Nationals
Jon Lester (OAK) signs with the Cubs
James Shields (KC) signs with the Padres
Hanley Ramirez (LAD) and Pablo Sandoval (SF) signs with the Red Sox
Yasmany Tomas (CUBA) signs with the Diamondbacks
Adam Laroche (WAS), Melky Cabrera (TOR), and David Robertson (NYY) signs with the White Sox
Nelson Cruz (BAL) signs with the Mariners
Nori Aoki (KC) signs with the Giants
Alex Rios (TEX), Kendrys Morales (SEA), and Edison Volquez (PIT) signs with the Royals
Billy Butler (KC) signs with the Athletics
Russell Martin (PIT) signs with the Blue Jays
Jung-ho Kang (KOREA) signs with the Pirates
Ichiro Suzuki (NYY) signs with the Marlins

Notable Trades:

Athletics trade Josh Donaldson to Toronto for Brett Lawrie
Angels trade Kevin Jespen to Tampa Bay for Matt Joyce
Dodgers trade Andrew Heaney to the Los Angeles Angels for Howie Kendrick
Rangers trade Luis Sardinas to Milwaukee for Yovani Gallardo
Braves trade Jason Heyward to St. Louis for Shelby Miller
Red Sox trade Yoenis Cespedes to Detroit for Rick Porcello
Dodgers trade Matt Kemp to San Diego for Yasmani Grandal
Braves trade Justin Upton to San Diego
Rays trade Wil Myers to San Diego
Rays trade Ben Zobrist to Oakland
Diamondbacks trade Miguel Montero to the Chicago Cubs
Nationals trade Ross Detweller to Texas
Braves trade Evan Gattis to Houston
Diamondbacks trade Wade Miley to Boston

So, I may have missed some trades and signings, but that can't be helped. What teams will live up to the hype and go into the playoffs? What teams will disappoint and fail? What teams will do what the Royals did last year and shock the baseball world? Who will meetup and win the 2015 World Series?

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

First for Back to the Future II is right.

I haven't seen any Jaws 19 announcements lately.

The last time the Mariners made the playoffs, it took a tie for most regular season wins in MLB history… and didn't even make the World Series. They then preceded to "suffer" two back-to-back seasons of 24 games over 500, missing a chance at a postseason run due to being stuck in the AL West and not having the benefit of a second Wild Card slot. After that, they were pretty much doomed to wallow in baseball's basement.

And then Félix Hernández came along. He's all ours.
Then Kyle Seager. Hisashi Iwakuma. Robinson Cano. Now, Nelson Cruz.
Could the streak- the curse- finally be over? 2013 gave what Seattle sports fans couldn't have imagined in their wildest dreams. How sweet a title felt. 2014 gave us more success, but ended in a reminder of the kind of disappointment that defined us for so many decades. And it also gave us a Mariners team that could win, and win convincingly. With but one more of those wins, they could have finally tasted October again. Alas, it was not meant to be.
Could it be meant to be in 2015? We'll see.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

I haven't seen any Jaws 19 announcements lately.

The last time the Mariners made the playoffs, it took a tie for most regular season wins in MLB history… and didn't even make the World Series. They then preceded to "suffer" two back-to-back seasons of 24 games over 500, missing a chance at a postseason run due to being stuck in the AL West and not having the benefit of a second Wild Card slot. After that, they were pretty much doomed to wallow in baseball's basement.

And then Félix Hernández came along. He's all ours.
Then Kyle Seager. Hisashi Iwakuma. Robinson Cano. Now, Nelson Cruz.
Could the streak- the curse- finally be over? 2013 gave what Seattle sports fans couldn't have imagined in their wildest dreams. How sweet a title felt. 2014 gave us more success, but ended in a reminder of the kind of disappointment that defined us for so many decades. And it also gave us a Mariners team that could win, and win convincingly. With but one more of those wins, they could have finally tasted October again. Alas, it was not meant to be.
Could it be meant to be in 2015? We'll see.

lolnope

enjoy (at least) six more years of second place

Spooky Pizza wrote:

That moment when the Phillies suck

There was a time when the Phillies were a threat to win the World Series, and the Braves had the NL East on lock.

Now the Phillies are coming off of a season with as many losses (89) as the Nationals had wins (96), and Atlanta has cleared out its roster for rebuilding.

No team in the NL East had .500 records outside of Washington last year, and the only possible challenge to the throne is Miami, the team that won the World Series twice under the Braves noses when the Braves won the Division the Marlins were in for 11 straight seasons.

I'll be over here watching the Hawks.

Predictions for the season standings:

NL East:

Washington – 94-68
Miami – 88-74
New York – 83-79
Atlanta – 75-87
Philadelphia – 68-94

NL Central:

St. Louis – 90-72
Pittsburgh – 89-73
Chicago – 84-78
Milwaukee – 80-82
Cincinnati – 78-84

NL West:

Los Angeles – 93-69
San Diego – 91-71
San Francisco – 86-76
Arizona – 78-84
Colorado – 74-88

AL East:

Boston – 93-69
Toronto – 85-77
Baltimore – 84-78
New York – 79-83
Tampa Bay – 75-87

AL Central:

Detroit – 91-71
Cleveland – 88-74
Kansas City – 83-79
Chicago – 81-81
Minnesota – 77-85

AL West:

Seattle – 92-70
Los Angeles – 90-72
Oakland – 83-79
Texas – 78-84
Houston – 70-92

NL East:

New York – 96-66
Washington – 90-72
Miami – 88-74
Atlanta – 70-92
Philadelphia – 69-93

NL Central:

Chicago – 95-67
St. Louis – 89-75
Pittsburgh – 85-79
Milwaukee – 79-83
Cincinnati – 79-83

NL West:

San Diego – 93-69
Los Angeles – 92-70
San Francisco – 87-77
Colorado – 76-86
Arizona – 72-90

AL East:

Toronto – 90-72
Baltimore – 88-74
New York – 84-78
Boston – 80-82
Tampa Bay – 71-91

AL Central:

Cleveland – 93-69
Kansas City – 87-77
Detroit – 86-78
Chicago – 80-82
Minnesota – 78-84

AL West:

Seattle – 100-62
Los Angeles – 94-68
Oakland – 85-79
Houston – 74-88
Texas – 67-95

NL Wild Card: Los Angeles over Washington
NLDS: New York over Los Angeles, Chicago over San Diego
NLCS: Chicago over New York

AL Wild Card: Los Angeles over Baltimore
ALDS: Seattle over Los Angeles, Toronto over Cleveland
ALCS: Seattle over Toronto

World Series: Chicago Cubs over Seattle Mariners

Last edited Mar 18, 2015 at 07:18PM EDT

Meanwhile on the KYM side poll:

What do you think?

Would you say you are more or less interested in the start of the 2015 Major League Baseball (MLB) season than you were last season?
6%
More interested
4%
Less interested
13%
About the same
77%
I am not a fan of Major League Baseball

Dear 77%,

Last edited Mar 29, 2015 at 01:50AM EDT

St. Louis – 3
Chicago – 0

BASEBALL HAS RETURNED!!!

In other news, the Padres have acquired Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton Jr. from the Braves.

Last edited Apr 05, 2015 at 11:35PM EDT

Kurt Warner's Ghost wrote:

you know it's a shit division when the Astros are in first place

Rangers, Angels, and Mariners are tied in last at 6-9.

>6-9

Excellent, I was just wondering if there was some kind of sports forum, this is even better.

nvm just saw how not active you all are wtf. I love posting during games, and I'll watch any team play. Aren't you all listening or watching to the game every day anyway…??

Arrieta's carrying a nono through 3 atm~ We're playing the Mets.

lisalombs wrote:

Excellent, I was just wondering if there was some kind of sports forum, this is even better.

nvm just saw how not active you all are wtf. I love posting during games, and I'll watch any team play. Aren't you all listening or watching to the game every day anyway…??

Arrieta's carrying a nono through 3 atm~ We're playing the Mets.

Sports forum has been brought up before, but since there's only a main group of 5 or so people that would probably post in it, it was calculated it would be the slowest board behind the major irrelevant Books and Comics which is probably going to be ousted eventually.

Yeah, when I saw there was no sports forum or anything really relating to real life at all I was like remember where you arrrre

Oh well. Is there another Cubs fan here anywhere? I'd feel slightly out of place randomly spewing all of my thoughts on the lineup to no one, but I'm not against it completely.

lisalombs wrote:

Yeah, when I saw there was no sports forum or anything really relating to real life at all I was like remember where you arrrre

Oh well. Is there another Cubs fan here anywhere? I'd feel slightly out of place randomly spewing all of my thoughts on the lineup to no one, but I'm not against it completely.

There maybe another Cub fan here somewhere, but I don't know. I'm a Rangers fan, Jimmy is a Mets fan, Kurt Warner's Ghost and Lil B are Angels fans, 0.999=1 is a Mariners fan, xTSGx is a Tigers fan, and Maus is a DBacks fan. Sorry if I forgot anyone else.

Last edited May 12, 2015 at 11:45PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!