Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

We should be nicer to the newcomers.

Last posted Feb 13, 2010 at 06:33AM EST. Added Feb 11, 2010 at 10:41PM EST
21 posts from 14 users

I was looking back and sometimes we are sarcastic or rude to people who were just new and uninformed. I too am somewhat guilty of this, but I vow to stop. Anyone else agree that we should try to be a bit nicer?

EDIT: I am not saying that we can't hate at the trolls. They deserve our rage, not the innocent newcomers.

Last edited Feb 11, 2010 at 10:51PM EST

New comers are like acorns, they are protomembers now, but eventually they turn into a tree (researcher). So they have to be treated well

Yeah, be nice to newbies. Remember, at some point, everyone was a newbie. Also, on an unrelated note,

"Procrastination is a lot like masturbation: It feels great at first but then you realize that you just f***ed yourself."

-KytoSai (Not me, someone who has the same name on HOK)

Thank you, Watcher. I'm glad you guys are finally realizing this.

I can't even count the number of times I've been stressing the simple idea of kindness and common courtesy to you guys. No matter what the situation calls for, always be kind and courteous to newcomers. You can't expect everyone to know how everything works at first hand. You've got to guide them through their mistakes and answer their questions, no matter how absurd they are. Help them with anything and everything so that our community will grow knowing that KYM is like a safe haven for internet madness, a place to study and understand the internet well enough to know how to deal with moronic trolls properly.

Though, if you've discerned that someone is a troll, or a flamer, or anything of the like, it is then and ONLY then when you have the right to take care of them… brutally… like the fist of an angry God.

BTW, sorry to be off-topic a bit but is "Fist of an Angry God" article-worthy enough? I've seen a few derivatives but I'm not sure if there are enough. I've got to lurk for more first.

I agree completely with Watcher and Jostin. We were all n00bs to this site at some point; we should give other newbies respect. Even the Beatles, one of the greatest and most famous bands of all time, were newcomers at one point. Who knows, maybe the next Jostin or Tomberry are creating their account right now.

I would like to point out, however, a lot of new users tend to be really active on the site for about a week to a month, and then suddenly disappear never to be heard from again (xosuitehearts, Emerald5Hey,etc.)

Last edited Feb 16, 2010 at 01:41PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!