Forums / Discussion / General

232,927 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
So Bob's finally gone.

Last posted Dec 18, 2016 at 11:37AM EST. Added Dec 16, 2016 at 08:50AM EST
47 posts from 30 users

Bob, Twenty-One, and a bunch of other good non-mod users, this place is getting more and more desolate, at least for the folks that have stuck around for years. Hardly see the old regulars anymore.

He was thinking about leaving for a while IIRC. I see he put some users' backs up in the comments recently. He is a strong-willed guy who puts his opinions in extremely blunt terms and this can make him extraordinarily unlikeable if you don't know him very well, but after talking to him a bit more I came to understand he is a very thoughtful person behind a craggy exterior.

Am I the only one that remembers how Bob used to be really friendly? (this was like 3 or 4 years ago here but still). It was really weird to me when I came back a few months ago and saw him being so harsh.

Last edited Dec 16, 2016 at 02:41PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Why did he leave?

Last thread he was on was related to Gamergate, he had his jimmies rustled due to some of the users (including me) not posting on the thread when we were told to by the user "Get PILLS, against my orders." He started getting angry, which led to him warning some users for no reason other than not posting on the official thread. Mr. 10 Memes thought that was going too far, so they squabbled until Bob ragequit.

David Bowie (The Sovereign) wrote:

Last thread he was on was related to Gamergate, he had his jimmies rustled due to some of the users (including me) not posting on the thread when we were told to by the user "Get PILLS, against my orders." He started getting angry, which led to him warning some users for no reason other than not posting on the official thread. Mr. 10 Memes thought that was going too far, so they squabbled until Bob ragequit.

On today's episode of "It's not fucking Gamergate…"

Seriously, though, it's not Gamergate. He'd been threatening to leave for a while and the GG comments incident was the last of a series of straws at most.

Xin wrote:

Bob, Twenty-One, and a bunch of other good non-mod users, this place is getting more and more desolate, at least for the folks that have stuck around for years. Hardly see the old regulars anymore.

That just means we'll have to form new old regulars! Except I don't know what qualified as 'old' before.

Yeah, Bob was kind of a dick about stuff, but overall he was just following the rules. He saw mods making exceptions for users or ignoring transgressions and that made him angry. You can't blame him for doing his job, or not making any concessions about people's feelings. Why have rules if you're not gonna follow 'em, right?

Bob was a dick sure, but it's sad to see a mod who's been on the site as long as he is just up and deactivating. All this does is convince me how barren this site is becoming.

Stalemate wrote:

Bob was a dick sure, but it's sad to see a mod who's been on the site as long as he is just up and deactivating. All this does is convince me how barren this site is becoming.

I'm just saying we need to be embolded by a loss of a prominent mod and get swole. It may be the alcohol talking, but just get some more awareness for fresh meat and the regulars will stand on the shoulders of giants.

Well, consider that the nature of the online social interaction. It changes by the month. A site that follows memes changes along with that. And that could change the infrastructure which could affect the users that use the site.

And as one person is forced to leave by IRL stuff, they leave a void that makes for a different atmosphere. That atmosphere makes it so that some other people don't want to stay and some other people decide to come.

Things just change. There was a whole generation of users like Kalmo, olivia, DPF, sandwichman, and various others that I used to interact with that aren't about now. And I'll eventually leave and so will all of you. All of us will be replaced by newer users (and some returning users intermittently) until the site itself dies, because the malicious ads just got so bad.

…I honestly don't care what the reason is. This site should not be this hard to browse, and whoever involved in making sure it's a usable site has simply failed at their job, and they really shouldn't have it anymore. It just reminds me how easy it is to be bad at something as a paid professional, but if you're in the right situation, you won't be held really responsible for it, and you can still get paid. Like, that's the American Dream right there.

But I digress.

…severely, actually.

…wait, where's Bob again?

I wasn't here to see any of the early matters, and my only run-ins with Bob had been him having shitfits related to Gamergate, which frankly we earned the first times, though this last one was somewhat over the top.

What saddens me is hearing, and seeing, that perhaps even just three years ago he was so much less angry than he was now. Something embittered him a lot in these last couple of years, and I hope he can at least do better now that he doesn't have whatever source of stress was here.

Still, nothing lasts forever, and the old guard eventually leaves. There may be someone new to step up, or maybe the fatalists are right and this is just another sign of death of the site. I don't really want that, myself.

Soooo yes. Basically, I hope he can be happy actually getting away from the site that pissed him off for whatever reason, and hope whoever fills that spot does well. Not much else I can say, what with being one of the new ones.

I remember getting emotional on a vent thread here one time about a dumb breakup on Christmas (probably around this time of the year) a couple of years ago. Bob was the only person to message me if I was alright.

Bob wasn't a bad guy. Just had a short-temper. I could relate to that.

With all due respects but Oh, Pussy Crappy Bob…

If you ever come back, I politely ask you to do your job next time or better yet, step down. That's all I can say.

As much as I'm a recently new user whose only encounter with Bob was a warning a couple days ago, I can admit to saying I may as well of broken a rule related to commenting on the GamerGate article. That said, as abrasive as he was in the comments and on the thread, he was more or less doing his job as a mod. If I honestly did have to say something about the warning he gave, he could of worded it better in that it should be more related to events of the article rather than debate. Still, I don't know anything about the guy compared to everyone else whose spoken with him so I can't really form much of an opinion on him.

Dick Crosby - ウエイバーコホーム wrote:

With all due respects but Oh, Pussy Crappy Bob…

If you ever come back, I politely ask you to do your job next time or better yet, step down. That's all I can say.

The irony is, from what I've seen, Bob was the only mod doing his job in the first place.

I don't get why people keep saying Bob was the only one doing his job when he was doing the opposite. He was giving warnings without good reason, applying the rules selectively instead of consistently, and letting his feelings get in the way of modding.

I'm sorry but he was a bad mod. If he comes back as a regular user that's fine, but he was not a good mod and should not keep that privilege if he comes back.

Farm Zombie wrote:

Wow, the GamerGate thread was actually entertaining for a little while. I wasn't expecting that.

Yep, can confirm:

He actually derailed the damn thread for a few hours by starting an argument until Rivers had to intervene.

If you like to see when it unfolded, go here.

Last edited Dec 17, 2016 at 11:59AM EST

Sunhammer wrote:

The irony is, from what I've seen, Bob was the only mod doing his job in the first place.

But the sad part was he lost his mind and then rage quits.

Tchefuncte Bonaparte wrote:

He didn't though.

I'm checking if he made the remaining riddles in advance, otherwise all participants up to this point get the badge including special ones for past participants (I got the files so no worries).

Last edited Dec 17, 2016 at 02:10PM EST

Farm Zombie wrote:

Wow, the GamerGate thread was actually entertaining for a little while. I wasn't expecting that.

Well, it did manage to create some sort of drama and within this case, it caused a mod to butt heads with some users. As abrasive as Bob was, others may not really be that innocent if they responded in the same way. Still, what's done is done. He may come back or he may not as another user above has said.

Still, drama is something that can interest one, even if it is akin to a train wreck.

Strate77 wrote:

I don't get why people keep saying Bob was the only one doing his job when he was doing the opposite. He was giving warnings without good reason, applying the rules selectively instead of consistently, and letting his feelings get in the way of modding.

I'm sorry but he was a bad mod. If he comes back as a regular user that's fine, but he was not a good mod and should not keep that privilege if he comes back.

Like I said earlier, he should of worded the reason for the warning better. Saying "contributing to GG's trending" is vague. Saying "debating about GG in the article comments instead of the GG thread" would of been not only better but also more clear and specific. The way he acted in the GG thread and/or in the comments show some abrasive tone. Granted, while there are rules to how one makes comment's, he did post an image saying "keep it relevant" except I didn't see that in KYM comment rules. Rather I only seen that in KYM forum rules. Unless I'm really missing any additional rules, wouldn't the general rule for posting comments on an article just be not being a dick and not making a comment akin to an unrelated shitpost?

SicklyVivian wrote:

Like I said earlier, he should of worded the reason for the warning better. Saying "contributing to GG's trending" is vague. Saying "debating about GG in the article comments instead of the GG thread" would of been not only better but also more clear and specific. The way he acted in the GG thread and/or in the comments show some abrasive tone. Granted, while there are rules to how one makes comment's, he did post an image saying "keep it relevant" except I didn't see that in KYM comment rules. Rather I only seen that in KYM forum rules. Unless I'm really missing any additional rules, wouldn't the general rule for posting comments on an article just be not being a dick and not making a comment akin to an unrelated shitpost?

They made a special case for GamerGate. RandomMan explained it in the OP of the GG thread. Between the official rules and the special case rules, there's very little reason for any post to appear in the GG comment section. Keeps GG off the trending bar and from snowballing more shitposting.

PatrickBateman96 wrote:

@Asura, the Emperor
If you can't handle mean words on a meme site then you should fuck off. I hope he stays deactivated.
@Sandstone

You pissed off three people. Just sayin'

Gonna miss you Bob. Sad to see you leave, though I understand your reasons.

@PatrickBateman

If you can’t handle mean words on a meme site then you should fuck off.

What's the point in acting like the big guy? You're the kind of user that drives people away from the site.

Whining without actually helping to improve the community. You were a good user before, now you're just plain bad.

PatrickBateman96 wrote:

@Loli
TRIGGER WARNING
You can't drive people away. The site has rules about that. You know the "Behave" rule?

Yea the one you never follow.

As irrelevant as I am I do feel I have to say farewell to Bob, as weird as he was I feel he was one of the only mods that actually felt like a human, he acted on feelings while still wanting organization and an authoritative setup of the site.
I'll miss him cuz he gave insight and ideas to arguments and subject most would not think of and when you find his soft/reasonable side he was a really good person to talk to.
Farewell Bob, and use the psychology major to actual work, not arguing on meme-sites, you have potential.

Last edited Dec 18, 2016 at 12:56AM EST

PatrickBateman96 wrote:

@Loli
TRIGGER WARNING
You can't drive people away. The site has rules about that. You know the "Behave" rule?

Yes, yes… The Behavior rule.. That thing I can see you don't follow very well.
Do like you advocating it, it's nice. I know it can be very hard to follow what you preach at times.

@Bob Obviously we still know each other elsewhere, so this doesn't really change a thing between us. Sorry the site became too toxic to handle. You did well in the better times.

Loli wrote:

Gonna miss you Bob. Sad to see you leave, though I understand your reasons.

@PatrickBateman

If you can’t handle mean words on a meme site then you should fuck off.

What's the point in acting like the big guy? You're the kind of user that drives people away from the site.

Whining without actually helping to improve the community. You were a good user before, now you're just plain bad.

At least he isn't as bad as Epyn Wyn.

Okay but why is Loli criticizing other people for driving away users?

One of the reasons I liked you so much was your inexplicable ability to make every user you've ever talked to hold a grudge against you.

PatrickBateman wrote:

You know the “Behave” rule?

I do, actually. What about you? Practice what you preach.

At least he isn’t as bad as Epyn Wyn.

Everything and everyone can become as bad as Epyc Wyn given enough time.

Okay but why is Loli criticizing other people for driving away users?

Deep inside my heart I had this weird desire to tell him "u r wrong".

I’m sorry but he was a bad mod.

"And I'm sorry but you're a terrible user", I just remembered something he said on a different thread long ago.

The users that hate Bob are the kind of people that firmly believe they "didn't do anything wrong" or are unable to accept they are simply wrong; just like Bob himself. They may not like his way of approaching user moderation yet it doesn't make his work as a mod any less valid.

If you fuck up, you get warned and that's how it goes. Obviously it should be addressed in a calm and respecteful way, but mods aren't here to take care of children and pamper them.

I'm not defending Bob or his methods of moderating and dealing with people, I'm just saying you all are as equally bad as him.

Or so would Bob say…

Last edited Dec 18, 2016 at 10:59AM EST

@Loli
There aren't rules against being mean to deactivated users.
@No Original Names Needs To Sleep
"Yea the one you never follow." Did you just look at one of my post's and think "wow this guy has never followed that rule"?

@Loli

And I'm sorry but you're a terrible user.
I'm just saying you're all equally as bad as him.

It's funny how you think it's okay to generalize everyone that didn't like Bob's modding. I've never broken a single rule at all in this site. I only got warned once by Bob because I called him out on his bad modding for warning people over a dubious rule that was not properly defined in a place people could see it. And he warned me for my TONE. Not even for the content of my post. For my tone. The same tone people use every day in the site (And the same tone BOB HIMSELF USED in the comment I was replying to).

As I said before, you keep acting like he was actually doing his job properly and people just disliked him for being harsh. He could be as harsh as he wanted and I wouldn't care if he actually did his job right, but he didn't.

Saying "Both sides are equally as bad" doesn't automatically make you right if you don't explain WHY they are both bad.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!