Forums / Discussion / General

232,961 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Why TV Tropes is good wiki company

Last posted Aug 09, 2021 at 07:04PM EDT. Added Jul 20, 2021 at 06:58PM EDT
30 posts from 16 users

TvTropes is also full of Woker nonsense ad Tyrannical Mods who unironicaly call their site a "benevolent dictatorship" and will ban you for the slightest shit (including calling them out on their bullshit)

Don't believe me? Then go to their site and type every Woker buzzword you know off in the search bar and then tell me what you found

Griff the Hoplite wrote:

TvTropes is also full of Woker nonsense ad Tyrannical Mods who unironicaly call their site a "benevolent dictatorship" and will ban you for the slightest shit (including calling them out on their bullshit)

Don't believe me? Then go to their site and type every Woker buzzword you know off in the search bar and then tell me what you found

Really? I've never heard much about TvTropes being a shitty website, although it does seem rather one-sided in terms of certain opinions? Could you provide some examples, if that's not too much trouble?

GenericFellow24 wrote:

Really? I've never heard much about TvTropes being a shitty website, although it does seem rather one-sided in terms of certain opinions? Could you provide some examples, if that's not too much trouble?

Ok then here is one which i uploaded a few months back

And here are some searches on their site
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/search_result.php?cx=partner-pub-6610802604051523%3Aamzitfn8e7v&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&siteurl=&ref=&ss=&q=Cultural+appropriation

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/search_result.php?cx=partner-pub-6610802604051523%3Aamzitfn8e7v&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&siteurl=&ref=&ss=&q=Alt+right

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/search_result.php?q=Misogyny&search_type=article&page_type=all&cx=partner-pub-6610802604051523%3Aamzitfn8e7v&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&siteurl=&ref=&ss=

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/search_result.php?q=Diversity&search_type=article&page_type=all&cx=partner-pub-6610802604051523%3Aamzitfn8e7v&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&siteurl=&ref=&ss=

Just as i said before just search every woker buzzword you know of

(This one here is very fun)
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/KnowYourMeme
(Yeah our views on "social justice" BS is totally only just a "vocal minority" opinion seethe Tropers!!)

Look TvTropes is not a "bad site" in its function (analysing tropes and concepts) in fact i like it and visit it form time to time BUT the community is disgusting and toxic and of course not every article is like that you can go to a reading spree and not stumble upon this kinds of shit but they still exist And cause a HUGE cringe responce from me when i find them

Last edited Jul 21, 2021 at 04:43PM EDT

Jazz Wizard wrote:

Im still annoyed they removed stuff like Monster Girl Encyclopedia a few years back there (among other stuff). I understand why they did I just dont like it.

I fucking hate advertising agencies, man

As someone who used to be an active user for 9 years, no. The community is unbelievably awful, especially the forums ones, and the moderators are one of the worst I've seen. I rarely ever heard good things about this website outside of it since it's trying to act like it can improve writing but it just ain't it, it's also so leaning towards woke culture that I've seen a lot of people got annoyed of it. It's just not worth it.

As far as TV Tropes goes, it's a fun site to kill time on though whether it's today or back then they had their share of cringe like "This Troper" and whatever they have whether one saw it as woke or anti-SJW. Honestly, I just go there for pages on things I like while not bothering with its community.

My opinion is that tropes are fun and over the whole removing rightwing stuff well why shove politics in there from either side in the first place.

I wouldn't want to read about how Jews actually deserve hate, statistics about black people or how communism is actually poggers while reading tropes about platform games.

HeatEdgeSword wrote:

As someone who used to be an active user for 9 years, no. The community is unbelievably awful, especially the forums ones, and the moderators are one of the worst I've seen. I rarely ever heard good things about this website outside of it since it's trying to act like it can improve writing but it just ain't it, it's also so leaning towards woke culture that I've seen a lot of people got annoyed of it. It's just not worth it.

How awful are we talking here? I've been to the forums a couple of times, and they all seem to be reasonable people, if a bit left-leaning.

OH YEAH wrote:

How awful are we talking here? I've been to the forums a couple of times, and they all seem to be reasonable people, if a bit left-leaning.

As soon as you made an opinion they do not like, they would become needlessly hostile about it, to say the least. I guess that's more prone in the media section. Although I was going to say just how easily scared the community is, that does seem more minor in the grand scheme of things.

HeatEdgeSword wrote:

As soon as you made an opinion they do not like, they would become needlessly hostile about it, to say the least. I guess that's more prone in the media section. Although I was going to say just how easily scared the community is, that does seem more minor in the grand scheme of things.

Really? Maybe because I typically spend most of my time on the real-life politics and music boards on TvTropes, I don't come into a lot of contact with those snowflakes you mentioned.

Tropers: REEEEE scottish person does agree with our own branch of bullshit that makes him right-wing REEEEE

Last edited Jul 31, 2021 at 01:59PM EDT

Griff the Hoplite wrote:

Tropers: REEEEE scottish person does agree with our own branch of bullshit that makes him right-wing REEEEE

Look man I understand what you are saying BUT YOU are also shoving shit where it doesn't belong so neither side is a saint here.

Tv tropes should not be political! From either side!

There I said it!

No!! wrote:

Look man I understand what you are saying BUT YOU are also shoving shit where it doesn't belong so neither side is a saint here.

Tv tropes should not be political! From either side!

There I said it!

>BUT YOU are also shoving shit where it doesn't belong

Elaborate

No!! wrote:

The virtual signaling stuff edits were pretty damn political dude

What edits? Are you refering to the screenshots?

Last edited Jul 31, 2021 at 04:24PM EDT

No!! wrote:

Yeah

And how does that count as "shoving things where they don't belong"? This is literally what this thread was talking about plus i only uploaded them because the thread was still active and Lazlo here was doubting the facts we brought up

Griff the Hoplite wrote:

And how does that count as "shoving things where they don't belong"? This is literally what this thread was talking about plus i only uploaded them because the thread was still active and Lazlo here was doubting the facts we brought up

No no Know your meme was made for politics sadly, no I meant shoving politics into tv tropes.

No!! wrote:

No no Know your meme was made for politics sadly, no I meant shoving politics into tv tropes.

I din't really shove anything out of topic here Joseph here was describing the "pros and cons" of TvTropes and i simply mentioned a con

Cold Hard Crash wrote:

All I can say on TV Tropes is their YMMV pages are the walking embodiment of this tweet:

Not to mention Tv Tropes oddly muted stance on a media that’s very controversial within the fanbase. I remember going to The Last Jedi YMMV page years ago and notice that neither the broken base nor the base-breaking character segments are there. I wouldn’t mind if they try to be neutral, it's just that the lack of mention about the fandom seems suspicious.

I'm not sure about these other problems, but I do know that a major flaw in the site comes from letting people make and edit articles independently. It's not like Wikipedia, where people are here to spread knowledge. People are here to spew on about media they like. Or hate. Although the TVTropes heads put a shutdown on it, whoever wrote the original Dakari-King Mykan clearly had a hateboner for them.

Also I'm pretty sure that the site was once infested with transformation fetishists and it still shows to this day despite the fetish fuel section being closed down and the higher-ups trying to not mention kink-related material. I recall certain Web-Original tabs of transformation-related tropes having at least one kink thing on it. And I severely doubt that El Goonish Shive is so documented merely because it has a lot of tropes. Not really a bad thing, just an odd thing.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!