Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,732 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Fringe Beliefs

Last posted Dec 10, 2012 at 02:44AM EST. Added Dec 02, 2012 at 01:04PM EST
128 posts from 36 users

What opinions or beliefs do you have that may be considered odd and/or carry a social stigma.
I think the JFK assassination was a conspiracy. I also have an interest in UFOs, but I'm not a believer.

Try not to turn this thread into a large debate about conspiracy theories or other beliefs.

Well for starters, I'm an atheist.

Second, I don't know if I'm a "true believer" yet, but I think there may be something to the whole "Ancient Aliens" hypothesis.

I believe that a fringe is pretty annoying and gets in the way.

Oh, not that kind? Well umm, I believe in a concept that is a combination of Atheism and Theism. Has your mind been blown?

I think that aliens could very well be real. It's a really big galaxy and there are hundreds of billions of them.
I know a lot of people may agree with me, but you should see some of the looks I've gotten when I express this belief irl. They look at me like I'm insane. Like they see something else inside me…

I'm a Christian in Web Culture. On the whole, it hasn't been a problem, but I hate to see my reason for living insulted or for me to be considered less logical because I'm a Christian. I think it's unfair, but mostly, I find it unnecessarily mean.

Related to Christians, abstaining from sex before marriage isn't out of the ordinary, but I think that other forms of sex short of coitus (e.g., anal sex, grinding, oral sex, anything physically stimulating that can be reasonably tied to achieving orgasm) are the same as coitus for the purpose of intimacy.

I think that the thought behind abstaining is to avoid sexual intimacy among multiple partners and not just avoiding one form of straight sex. Whether or not a guy ejaculates into a vagina or a mouth doesn't really strike me as being different. Same would go for anal sex between two guys or tribadism between two women. They involve a level of sexual intimacy that I think should be for couples committed to each other for life.

My Christian friends all tend to disagree, and more conservative ones who would agree aren't usually my friends for other reasons. So I'm less on the "fringe" and more between the two modes in regards to most Christians.

inb4 you're a virgin and wouldn't know about sexual intimacy anyway

I choose to believe that everyone is an idiot until I get to know them better. It makes it much easier to deal with them. Also, it lowers your expectations so you won't be disappointed if they actually turn out to be idiots.

Quantum Meme wrote:

I believe that a fringe is pretty annoying and gets in the way.

Oh, not that kind? Well umm, I believe in a concept that is a combination of Atheism and Theism. Has your mind been blown?

What in tarnation did you just say about my fringe? I'll have you reckon I learn't me real good in the Rockies, and I've been on more mountains hogtyin n trapin me heathens than you know bout buddy. I done wrastled me up 300 bears, and I know how to use this here long riffle everywhich way! Consarnit! You ain't nothin to me but another dagnum prairie dog. I'll clean your clock rightfast, and you won't reckon what hit ya, now you listen good, you think you can come round here and tell me whatfer? Well you better think again damn it, right as we speak my huntin dogs is closing in, tracking your there computer all across this here wilderness. And you better git while the gittins good. Yesir, you better git on, fore were forced ta get mean, or you'll be food fer the wolves. Yesir now we can duel like gentlemen or I can use ol'betsy here to shoot the smile right off yer face 8 ways from sunday. Not only do I have with me this here riffle but being there is no law and order round here i got me a whole heep o' bear traps and I'll use em if need be. I think if you only knew what snakes you were winding up, youda came wearing gloves partner. But ya could't, ya didn't and now mister, you're gonna pay the price dag-gumit, It's gona be raining bullets like cats and dogs all over here in a minute. You're a goner partner.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 05:16PM EST

Cale wrote:

You guys know this is a Fringe Beliefs thread not a Religion thread right.

Monotheism was once a fringe belief.

Now it's everywhere.

I don't actually think the troops deserve a lot of the glorification they receive. Everyone says, "They're dying every day to defend our freedoms!" but what freedoms are they defending? US's freedom as a sovereign state hasn't been even remotely threatened since WWII, if that. Really, what the soldiers do is go to foreign states to kill people they do not know, under orders that they follow blindly, for a cause that they likely know nothing about. To me, that doesn't deserve praise, whatever the personal cost of their actions may be.

Cale wrote:

Faith on the 'Net is a fringe belief.
Believing in science (I'd argue isn't a fringe belief,) but it is discredited as often being too cold and calculating.

It's still on topic.

Cale wrote:

It's because everything about religion nowadays is pretty fringe.

Well, not really, but some scientists are, I suppose.

Quantum wrote:

I believe in a concept that is a combination of Atheism and Theism

I'm kinda interested in knowing exactly what this means, because considering the two are direct opposites, this seems like a logical contradiction to me.

The weirdest belief I hold is that 'everything that can happen, does happen'. It's an idea rooted in quantum mechanics, but the vast majority of the population of Earth will tell you you're mad for thinking its true. It means that the history of our universe is formed only as we observe it, and until that moment it would be invalid to say that an event has occurred at all. At the moment of observation, we will observe one event out of a near-infinite amount of possibilities for that event, and the way in which an event takes place (which paths the particles took, and which particles even existed in the first place) is determined only at the time of observation. I don't think this next part is proven, but a common belief is that every possible event will occur, and that there are a near-infinite amount of universes created to accommodate every possible event. Whenever an event occurs, a new universe will form with the exact same history as ours up until that point, though with that one event changed. Since quantum events don't all have an equal probability, most universes will look almost identical, but for every event there'll be some universes in which really bizarre things happen.

It's mathematically a very nice idea, since if there were only one universe where only one stream of events is picked at random, you'd be in an incredibly unsymmetrical situation. You can apply the same ideas to M-Theory (currently unproven), which allows a near-infinite amount of big-bangs to occur, each creating a universe with different physical properties, some of which will have properties which permit life to exist. In that scenario, the ridiculously unlikely stream of events leading to the human race existing in the first place will pretty much become a certainty.

tl;dr: I believe in really weird stuff which I call 'science' to make it sound less crazy.

(inb4 a real scientist comes in here and schools me)

Edit: It was pointed out to me after posting this that some events don't have a near-infinite amount of outcomes, such as when you're observing the spin state of an electron (only has two possibilities). Just felt the need to correct that little error. You'd still get new universes, but you'd only get two.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 06:23PM EST

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

Oh, this one's definitely a fringe belief:

(I know I'll be buried for this…)

I didn't think Mass Effect 3's ending was that bad.

There's no need to be ashamed. I didn't think it was as bad as people thought it was.

On the internet,
-I consider myself part of the Halo subculture (Yeah our community sucks. Sorry for the Armor Lock and hate mail.)
-I don't think that Romney is an evil monster bent on destroying your money and/or the planet (Not a real supporter of him either, but I don't think he's THAT horrible.)
Real Life,
-I like Tumblr > Facebook
-I like Pokemon openly (I don't bring it up out of the blue, though. People who do that are the scum of whatever fandom they're in.)

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

This one’s pretty fringe on the internet nowadays:

CELESTIA WILL FAIL; EQUESTRIA WILL FALL!

Ahem. Yes. I hate ponies. I hate them to no end. I cannot stand them.

I know this post will draw downvotes because ponies are popular, but honestly?

MAY THEY ALL DIE IN ETERNAL INCINERATION.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 10:12PM EST

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

This one’s pretty fringe on the internet nowadays:

CELESTIA WILL FAIL; EQUESTRIA WILL FALL!

Ahem. Yes. I hate ponies. I hate them to no end. I cannot stand them.

I know this post will draw downvotes because ponies are popular, but honestly?

MAY THEY ALL DIE IN ETERNAL INCINERATION.

You can stop saying how much you hate ponies all the time.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 10:05PM EST

Who the hell keeps editing my post?

I put LIBERTY PRIME there for a reason!

It was God.

God wants you to stop.

And believe in him.

Who believes in you.

Cale wrote:

It was taken from you.

Three times.

It has yet to be expunged from my own memories.

Prime is eternal.

Back on track,

I dislike fandom.

I don't mind people being fans of something, but doing something and defending it to the point of being obsessive hits me in the same exact way as religious or political fanaticism, it seems quite mindless.

Stop provoking Nair. Really, guys. Don't be jerks.

Nair, you've gotten a warning from me, and if it were up to me…well, you know what would have happened.

Verbose wrote:

Stop provoking Nair. Really, guys. Don't be jerks.

Nair, you've gotten a warning from me, and if it were up to me…well, you know what would have happened.

Oh I know what you would have done, but if you really want to know my attitude, well…

You see that link to the TV Tropes article for Metallica? Yeah, that sums up my mindset quite nicely.

The words that are linked, not the page.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 10:39PM EST

Derpy Vaz wrote:

Lemme put this out there:

That lyric I quoted first appeared on the album "Master Of Puppets", in the song "Damage Inc."

Yeah, I know my Metallica, and I prefer their stuff from the 80s.

Though some of their stuff from The Black Album (definitely NOT including "Nothing Else Matters") is good.

I believe in ghosts/spirits. I personally have never had an experience, and I don't have any proof, but there's just something that leads me to believe in them that I can't explain.
I also believe in aliens, for the same reasons RussBus said. There is a practically infinite universe, it makes no sense to me that we would be the only planet that has or is currently hosting living life forms.
This isn't necessarily a belief, but I think the concept have a soul living multiple lives is a possibility. After the host of a soul dies the soul is born into another body. A friend of mine talked to me in length about this and I found it to be a very intriguing and plausible concept.

I'd also like to say that the negative karma Nair got in his first post is very uncalled for. His overly strong hate for MLP may be considered unhealthy, but seriously we should not be giving out neg karma in a fringe belief thread unless someone is off topic. (like what people are doing because they feel the need to provoke Nair)

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 11:02PM EST

Chris wrote:

I’d also like to say that the negative karma Nair is getting is very uncalled for.

He spams pony hate and other hate and derails threads with it constantly.

Need I remind you that this is a fringe belief thread, and someone saying they hate MLP is a fringe belief here. In other words, he is the farthest thing from off topic in his original post and you are just looking for a reason to give him neg karma. If there is anywhere for someone to post pony hate, it is here. It should not matter what he does in other threads. What should matter is what he does here

Crimson posted:

I’d also like to say that the negative karma Nair is getting is very uncalled for. His overly strong hate for MLP may be considered unhealthy, but seriously we should not be giving out neg karma in a fringe belief thread unless someone is off topic.

Maybe it's because I'm so "over-the-top" in my hatred.

At any rate, I don't know, I don't care, I just hate them.

Crimson Locks wrote:

I believe in ghosts/spirits. I personally have never had an experience, and I don't have any proof, but there's just something that leads me to believe in them that I can't explain.
I also believe in aliens, for the same reasons RussBus said. There is a practically infinite universe, it makes no sense to me that we would be the only planet that has or is currently hosting living life forms.
This isn't necessarily a belief, but I think the concept have a soul living multiple lives is a possibility. After the host of a soul dies the soul is born into another body. A friend of mine talked to me in length about this and I found it to be a very intriguing and plausible concept.

I'd also like to say that the negative karma Nair got in his first post is very uncalled for. His overly strong hate for MLP may be considered unhealthy, but seriously we should not be giving out neg karma in a fringe belief thread unless someone is off topic. (like what people are doing because they feel the need to provoke Nair)

what about the negs I got? do I deserve it? I suppose I do but so does he. the only difference I don't care about Krama (I have plenty) and I don't neg people without them knowing it was me (I don't hide like a pussy). I didn't provoke him about MLP though I just said matallica sucks and then ruined it for him with ponies. I think thats fair.

There is no means by which you can "ruin Metallica". For as long as their songs from the 80s are still up on Youtube, I can still rock out any time I like.

Crimson posted:

I’d also like to say that the negative karma Nair is getting is very uncalled for. His overly strong hate for MLP may be considered unhealthy, but seriously we should not be giving out neg karma in a fringe belief thread unless someone is off topic.

Maybe it's because I'm so "over-the-top" in my hatred.

At any rate, I don't know, I don't care, I just hate them.

>mfw Nair won't drop the subject:

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!