Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,714 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Cosplay Suggestions, Anybody?

Last posted Mar 04, 2013 at 07:39PM EST. Added Feb 28, 2013 at 09:41PM EST
23 posts from 19 users

I've always wanted to do cosplay, and for it to be perfect. Problem is, I don't really know any characters that would fit my skin-tone.
So far the best I've gotten is Princess Luna, and Twilight. But I don't wanna just cosplay ponies! Please help! oh btw,

This be me. Any suggestions?

Last edited Feb 28, 2013 at 09:41PM EST

It mainly depends on how much detail you ask for. Some cosplays can add great detail, to the extend of being custom creations, whereas others only request a shirt and wig.

So a good question to start would be: Will you make these costumes yourself, have a friend do it, or purchase them online?

In the level of easy cosplay, a good starter would be some Homestuck characters. Most of the characters wear simple clothing, and many of these can already be purchased through official partners of MSPA. Only tough part is a wig and possible accessoires. Because the Homestuck characters have no canon skin color, your black skin color is acceptable. Humans should be doable to a certain amount of characters/outfits, trolls will require makeup and accessoires like the horns. As the trolls ask for grey makeup, your skin-tone should no longer be any issue.

As for ponies, that's entirely up to headcanon. Black Luna and black Twilight are the most commonly accepted ones, so it's no suprise you chose them. But likewise to Homestuck, there is no official skin color when human, so basically anyting is doable. (Simple yet good example)

Outside of that it's best to ask first where your interests are. Fandoms, shows you like, characters you feel connected to. If you could shed some light on that it would be appreciated. It's always easier to cosplay characters you like or can relate to.

But yeah, although I added your skin color as a point in the choices above, it should not be any issue. If you want to cosplay the character, and really have the dedication to do so, any character should be doable. It's about having fun.

(Cosplay with Verbose as Candence and Shining Armor)

Last edited Feb 28, 2013 at 10:16PM EST

in the hoppip over the sea wrote:

Um
Hm.
You don't really have to cosplay within your skin tone. I think cosplay is all about being creative, so why not do that? Fuck expectations.

This is it up here ^
Pick a character you really like and go for it. As a wise person once said "Those Who Mind Don’t Matter, and Those Who Matter Don’t Mind."
Get out there and have fun being the character you want to be.

@Rocket
I know I can be any character I wanna be but I've always wanted to do a character that has or can be visualized with my skin tone, because I want it to be spot on. Something like a Rule 63 Demoman. I want it to be believable.

@RandomMan
I'm a fan of a lot. So any suggestions might be good ones.

Well if you want to cosplay about a character with an specific skin tone (homestuck trolls) for example, you can always use skin paint. If you are cosplaying for hobbie you don't have to worry about the perfection of the cosplay, have fun.

Olivia Gulin wrote:

Cosplay whoever you think is awesome!!

But if you're looking for a female character with a dark skin tone, what about Anthy Himemiya from Revolutionary Girl Utena?

This girl disturbingly looks like Nadia from The Secret of Blue Water…

Serious Business wrote:

-You could go as Aisha Campbell, the 2nd Yellow Power Ranger.
-You could go as B-MO from Adventure Time.
-You could build a complex system of cardboard boxes into a transformable Transformers costume.
-You could go as Francine Frensky from Arthur.
-You could pull off the classic Uhura from STAR TREK.
-You could, with a little wig-work, dress up as Storm, from X-Men.

Just a couple ideas.

Good ones.
Anything but Storm, its too common.

Wow media is too whitewashed or I'm racist because I can not think of many good cosplays that involve characters with dark skin. The greatest example I can think of is Yoruichi Shihoin from Bleach

Out of curiosity, is there any specific event you plan on cosplaying at?

Last edited Mar 01, 2013 at 02:51PM EST

My best suggestion for you is Nygus from Soul Eater

she's actually a pretty badass character if you havent seen the show and her cosplay wouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Last edited Mar 01, 2013 at 07:29PM EST

@Crimson Locks:
I don't have a specific event yet, I guess basically any Con that I can go to. And Yoruichi is a great idea.
And don't worry, I couldn't think of any characters for good cosplay either, which is why I made this thread. The only black characters I remember are some form Naruto, Paninia from Full Metal Alchemist, and Lenora and Iris form Pokemon. And that black guy from Bleach, I can;t remember his name.

@Rambo01
No I haven't seen it but she does look badass, I think I'll check it out.

Last edited Mar 01, 2013 at 09:50PM EST

Truthfully, since you're cute, you could probably cosplay anyone. Male or Female. Pick someone you want to be. Seriously, you'll probably rock it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!