Forums / Fun! / Riff-Raff

304,222 total conversations in 8,682 threads

+ New Thread


I worry for this website...

Last posted Jan 11, 2014 at 04:52PM EST. Added Jan 10, 2014 at 07:38AM EST
21 posts from 15 users

I dunno why, but I just have this feeling that KYM has been getting less “active” around the same time the whole Ballooncules incident “blew up”.

It’s probably because I haven’t been really using the parts where everyone has gone, but still though, it feels different.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:38AM EST
Quote

Well life has been calling for me, so that’s why I haven’t really been on the forums, but yeah, I think there’s not been that much going on from what I’ve seen, yet it’s still not really out of the ordinary around here…

Jan 10, 2014 at 08:20AM EST
Quote

That’s life on this site. Activity dies and rises. Always with new groups of people. New and some old.

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:05AM EST
Quote

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

apology for poor english
when were you when kym dies?
i was sat at home eating potato when drpepperfan ring
‘kym is kill’
‘no’


Well, now that that’s taken care of…

Yes, I have been feeling like there’s been a lull in activity. It’s just a normal phenomenon, like Bob said. Old users leave or become lurkers, new users need time to fill the gaps. It seems like we’re in a period where we need new users to fill in the void old users have left behind. Until that void is filled, it will be slow going.

I don’t think KYM is by any means dead. It still serves it’s purpose quite well: to catalog memes. The community is just recovering from a lapse in user activity, is all.

KYM will live forever.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:44AM EST
Quote

As long as 4Chan hates us we’ll live forever. The internet is run by hate.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:02PM EST
Quote

Owens Wrote


Yes, I have been feeling like there’s been a lull in activity. It’s just a normal phenomenon, like Bob said. Old users leave or become lurkers, new users need time to fill the gaps. It seems like we’re in a period where we need new users to fill in the void old users have left behind. Until that void is filled, it will be slow going.

Just to add onto this, the primary draw that actually brought people to the website in the first place, regular KYM Episodes and the ability to interact with the scientists, is gone.

Sure, there are other draws to the website, but with out those things it feels like the website is kinda on life support. More notable users are leaving more regularly than new notable ones joining, which worries me.

Last edited Jan 10, 2014 at 03:01PM EST
Jan 10, 2014 at 02:59PM EST
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Owens Wrote


Yes, I have been feeling like there’s been a lull in activity. It’s just a normal phenomenon, like Bob said. Old users leave or become lurkers, new users need time to fill the gaps. It seems like we’re in a period where we need new users to fill in the void old users have left behind. Until that void is filled, it will be slow going.

Just to add onto this, the primary draw that actually brought people to the website in the first place, regular KYM Episodes and the ability to interact with the scientists, is gone.

Sure, there are other draws to the website, but with out those things it feels like the website is kinda on life support. More notable users are leaving more regularly than new notable ones joining, which worries me.

Well you still have wonderful old me here.

I’ll just say this; stay positive. Though I myself haven’t noticed any considerable decline in usage and most of the people whom I interact with are still active, I can understand what you’re feeling.

To everyone else hear me out; don’t go on thinking that KYM is on “life support” or that we’re at the end of our rope. And when I say that i’m not trying to suggest that we’ve even come anywhere close to something that could cause that. There is always draw to this little ol’ site. Hell, when I joined I hadn’t even watched one of the KYM Episodes or even knew about interacting with the scientists.

I became a member simply because of both the content and it’s very close-knit friendly community

I’m gonna be honest with you guys, I’m never leaving this site, never. Though that does not mean that some members don’t fade away, they do…. but there will always be others…



People will always come; fueled by the same things, fandoms, friends, ponies, laughs, and more. The very same things that had drawn us here to this place as well. For it is the unchanging, undying, “will” of the community. Not only applied to this site, but the whole of the internet as well. Never despair. Look forward. The future is before you, do your part to make it the best that it can be!

Which is why I consider it to be one of my greatest pleasures, to encounter a promising new member; go to their wall introduce myself, welcome them whole heartedly and finish with:…..

“Here, take this.

I want you to give this back to me, when we meet again….

…as a great member.”

I’m always excited for rookies, makes me feel as a gateway and inspiration to others about this site that I have come to love.

Hope my words of wisdom got ya thinking.

Last edited Jan 10, 2014 at 06:26PM EST
Jan 10, 2014 at 06:23PM EST
Quote

We’re not a team we’re a time bomb!

Anyway let us be real. There are few people here who have actual connections and others are acquaintances and usually get on fine but when they argue there is going to be hostility and i can’t think of many people who are exempt from having been a bit of aggressive towards another user.

The only difference here really is that a lot of older users aren’t here/don’t come as often, so there aren’t many close friendships left.

Honestly I really like KYM but most users mean nothing to me.

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:00PM EST
Quote

Spider-byte wrote:

We’re not a team we’re a time bomb!

Anyway let us be real. There are few people here who have actual connections and others are acquaintances and usually get on fine but when they argue there is going to be hostility and i can’t think of many people who are exempt from having been a bit of aggressive towards another user.

The only difference here really is that a lot of older users aren’t here/don’t come as often, so there aren’t many close friendships left.

Honestly I really like KYM but most users mean nothing to me.

I do not have the words to describe how much I disagree with you on this.

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:03PM EST
Quote

thegreato wrote:

I do not have the words to describe how much I disagree with you on this.

I know the tone and what I said seems a bit harsh but I think people here are good people but I only felt welcomed by few when i joined and those are the people i would consider friends in fact theres some users that have joined roughly the same time or been here before me that i just don’t know that well.

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:16PM EST
Quote

Spider-byte wrote:

I know the tone and what I said seems a bit harsh but I think people here are good people but I only felt welcomed by few when i joined and those are the people i would consider friends in fact theres some users that have joined roughly the same time or been here before me that i just don’t know that well.

Do you have to be welcomed then to feel accepted into a community? Can’t they just see you as a normal user right away instead of some new guy they apparently must welcome? Because I don’t think people tried to scare you away because you were new.

You blame others for having ill connections with you because they didn’t contact you. But how about you doing effort to get in touch with other users here? You’re new, they don’t know your interests, so it’s difficult to strike conversation. Approach others, let them get to know you, find your hang in this community, but don’t expect it’ll come to you right away. If you for example came to my wall when you joined to strike some conversation, I would’ve happily obliged.


As for the actual topic of the thread:

You’re simply in a period that a lot of users have exams and so they have to get studying. Give it some time and activity should rise again.

Last edited Jan 10, 2014 at 07:24PM EST
Jan 10, 2014 at 07:23PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Do you have to be welcomed then to feel accepted into a community? Can’t they just see you as a normal user right away instead of some new guy they apparently must welcome? Because I don’t think people tried to scare you away because you were new.

You blame others for having ill connections with you because they didn’t contact you. But how about you doing effort to get in touch with other users here? You’re new, they don’t know your interests, so it’s difficult to strike conversation. Approach others, let them get to know you, find your hang in this community, but don’t expect it’ll come to you right away. If you for example came to my wall when you joined to strike some conversation, I would’ve happily obliged.


As for the actual topic of the thread:

You’re simply in a period that a lot of users have exams and so they have to get studying. Give it some time and activity should rise again.

I didn’t mean for every other user to roll a red carpet or give a speech to me or anything. I just meant as in when I joined and I was getting to know about the different users the ones that ended up talking and having conversations with (for some they spoke first and for others I contacted them first) were the people who became my friends and the people who are new to the site who i have yet to talk to, well I can’t really say they’re my friend because i’ve yet to become friends with them so i can’t say i know them at all. The fact I wasn’t more forward really left out potential friends and it is pretty much my fault for not getting to know them but that doesn’t change the fact they have no affect on me. If people want to make friends they shouldn’t do it the way I did.

But yeah it’s a quiet time at the moment on KYM so it gonna feel empty.

Last edited Jan 10, 2014 at 07:52PM EST
Jan 10, 2014 at 07:38PM EST
Quote

Guys if I had a dollar for every time somebody came into a forum and said “It’s dying!”, I’d…have maybe 20 bucks or something….but the point is I hear this a lot and it is very often just people throwing around Doom Paul and nothing else

As some of you know, I’ve posted on many, many forums during the course of my history and in that time I’ve seen forums have high points and low points.

In any forum there are times when activity reduces when there isn’t a lot of inspiration coming in, but other times when something new to chew on comes along and thing get going again. There are times when people leave and things die down, but other times when new people come along and spice things up

Even if all the oldfags up and left this place. This forum wouldn’t die. As long as there’s something to discuss, somebody else is bound to come along and fill the gaps.

Forums die when their subject matter dies. I used to post on a few forums that are buried 6 feet under now. What killed those forums? It wasn’t a lack of creativity or regular posters, I tell you now. It was their subject disappearing from under them. Dedicated server forums that lose their server. Mod project forums that stop development. Comic forums where the comic goes defunct. That’s how you kill a forum.

A lack of activity isn’t what kills forums. Forums don’t need to be constantly active anyway. I’m part of some forums that only see a few posts a week and are still strong communities

And the thing about KYM is that the subject matter is always about. The internet is always going to have memes so it’s pretty unlikely this place can just shrivel up and die

Jan 10, 2014 at 08:47PM EST
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Guys if I had a dollar for every time somebody came into a forum and said “It’s dying!”, I’d…have maybe 20 bucks or something….but the point is I hear this a lot and it is very often just people throwing around Doom Paul and nothing else

As some of you know, I’ve posted on many, many forums during the course of my history and in that time I’ve seen forums have high points and low points.

In any forum there are times when activity reduces when there isn’t a lot of inspiration coming in, but other times when something new to chew on comes along and thing get going again. There are times when people leave and things die down, but other times when new people come along and spice things up

Even if all the oldfags up and left this place. This forum wouldn’t die. As long as there’s something to discuss, somebody else is bound to come along and fill the gaps.

Forums die when their subject matter dies. I used to post on a few forums that are buried 6 feet under now. What killed those forums? It wasn’t a lack of creativity or regular posters, I tell you now. It was their subject disappearing from under them. Dedicated server forums that lose their server. Mod project forums that stop development. Comic forums where the comic goes defunct. That’s how you kill a forum.

A lack of activity isn’t what kills forums. Forums don’t need to be constantly active anyway. I’m part of some forums that only see a few posts a week and are still strong communities

And the thing about KYM is that the subject matter is always about. The internet is always going to have memes so it’s pretty unlikely this place can just shrivel up and die

Spoken like a true scholar BSOD.

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:02PM EST
Quote

thegreato wrote:

Spoken like a true scholar BSOD.

“Spoken like a true BSOD BSOD.*”

Fixed it for you.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:39AM EST
Quote

Kebab Removal Unit wrote:

The internet has memes, and memes will keep us alive.

We’re Chupacabras, suckling the life necter of every innocent lamb of digital culture.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:13PM EST
Quote

Cale wrote:

We’re Chupacabras, suckling the life necter of every innocent lamb of digital culture.

Did somebody say goat lamb?

Last edited Jan 11, 2014 at 04:56PM EST
Jan 11, 2014 at 04:52PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!