Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,732 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Windows 7 issues (Help topic)

Last posted Feb 05, 2014 at 10:25AM EST. Added Feb 04, 2014 at 07:21PM EST
12 posts from 9 users

Posted via mobile.

So after School today, my perfectly normal windows 7 laptop decided to become a spawn of windows Vista and satan himself.

So it shows the loading screen with the windows logo. Then the login screen is pretty normal, too.

But when you login, the little loading circle jams in place for a minute, then it spins for around 5-20 minutes.

And it loads to a glitchy windows 7 home. No background, and I can't click the start bar.

Safe mode does the same, except it's semi-usable. It has the start bar. Luckly, I was able to delete all my stuff before any major repairmen sees my bad art.

I only have very few programs installed, which I doubt give viruses.

-Paint.NET

-GIMP

-And AVG Free (May gave me a virus?)

I only go on youtube, KYM, Cheezburger, and Tumblr. I also have safe script on Google Chrome.

Anyone know the issue? I really want to go back to drawing. And sorry for being unrelated, since I'm too lazy to sign up to some tech website.

I am by no means an expert, but it sounds like your system has somehow become unstable.

You could try wiping the slate clean, but I'm not sure how you could go about doing that. Different models have different methods, and some have to be reinstalled via disc vs. factory image on the drive. For instance, my computer has a repair tool built into startup that can wipe the computer.

I wish BSoD were around. He'd know what to do.

Last edited Feb 04, 2014 at 07:30PM EST

Maybe it's an issue with the startup stuff. I'm no expert on computers (believe me) but if the error is on startup, then the error may be WITH the startup.

Edit: Do you have a Windows 7 CD? Maybe you should try reinstalling the OS. It's a bit drastic, but according to you, there isn't much on your computer worth saving. Though it might be better if we wait until an actual tech savvy user throws in their two cents.

Last edited Feb 04, 2014 at 07:33PM EST

@Filler

You don't have to sign up to a tech site, but you can still google the problem

You don't have programs that would give you viruses, but that doesn't mean you cant pick up a virus from just about anywhere

You haven't told us if you can run AVG and if it tells you any results. Is AVG up to date? Have you scanned recently? If you receive any error messages, take heed and tell us what they are

It sounds to me like your copy of Windows is damaged, one thing I would try is load a system restore point to a time before this started happening. Try that after checking your system for viruses. (PS: I don't like AVG. Personally, I prefer MSE and I think it's more reliable as Microsoft supports it themselves and they're more on top of their own security than 3rd parties)

And lastly, you haven't dropped your laptop on anything right?

Last edited Feb 05, 2014 at 01:29AM EST

System restore would be the best option.

Failing that, you're probalby going to want to run a virus scan on boot up (since certain viruses activate and hide themselves immediately once the computer starts, rendering any virus scans useless). I don't know how AVG does that, though, as I use Avast.

Worst Case Scenario is your hard drive has accidentallied itself. A SMART warning is usually given prior to hard drive failure, but 56% of failures occur without any. If it's a hard drive failure, back everything up and start shopping for a new hard drive/computer. Since it's a laptop, it would probably be more cost effective to get a new one, but that would vary from model to model.

Or, if it gives you the option, try a system repair instead of a system restore. It rarely works, but it wont wipe your system clean if that's what you're looking for. Usually you can access this option on a win7 CD or if it was built into a restore partition on you computer. You should be able to google it and find out.

Also, you might want to run a memory test on your computer as this may be the result of bad sectors on you HD or some bad RAM. This should be an option on your computer right under the "Safe mode" on your boot screen.

Out of curiosity, what is you Win7 pc? Dell, HP, etc?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!