Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Requesting help on an RPG (creative thinkers wanted)

Last posted Mar 22, 2014 at 03:41PM EDT. Added Mar 10, 2014 at 02:29AM EDT
27 posts from 9 users

Hello KYM, me and a few other users here are making an RPG and we have come to a decision that we need more creative thinkers for the project. The RPG is called Omega Grey, it's a modern day paranormal and conspiracy horror adventure game in which you the players play as agents for Omega Grey, a shadowy organization working within many fronts both within the government and the civilian sector. Your main task working for them is to investigate and either secure or destroy any and all paranormal entities, artifacts, ect. While doing this you also have to deal with other groups who are also involved in the paranormal world. This project was inspired by other conspiracy and horror works like Delta Green, SCP Foundation and many more. Right now the project is in it's infancy but we are hoping that with new minds helping us the project can mature into a finished product. If you have any questions please ask and no, you don't need to pay for the finished product since it's going to be free but that also means that you're not getting paid for it either.

CrowTheMagician wrote:

Hello KYM, me and a few other users here are making an RPG and we have come to a decision that we need more creative thinkers for the project. The RPG is called Omega Grey, it's a modern day paranormal and conspiracy horror adventure game in which you the players play as agents for Omega Grey, a shadowy organization working within many fronts both within the government and the civilian sector. Your main task working for them is to investigate and either secure or destroy any and all paranormal entities, artifacts, ect. While doing this you also have to deal with other groups who are also involved in the paranormal world. This project was inspired by other conspiracy and horror works like Delta Green, SCP Foundation and many more. Right now the project is in it's infancy but we are hoping that with new minds helping us the project can mature into a finished product. If you have any questions please ask and no, you don't need to pay for the finished product since it's going to be free but that also means that you're not getting paid for it either.

Since it's an RPG it's contain skills and other RPG stuff like backpack management and/or equipments?

Alright, I can help. I am pretty good at Game Design and I think as long as you have a dedicated programmer I can make something work.

This going to be a WRPG or a JRPG? Or something more like Tales?

@Natsuru: Don't know how to tell ya but it's neither since Omega Grey is of the tabletop variety, but man do I wish I can go to that direction for the game. Too bad I don't have the resources to do so.

Edit: In other words think back to the old RolePlay General before it went to hell or the Murder Threads or hell even the one I made that is still going. I'm just mentioning them so people can get a better grasp at what I mean by RPG.

Last edited Mar 10, 2014 at 03:23AM EDT

Snowie wrote:

Sounds cool, will there visual maps, or is it entirely text-based?

Right now we are also looking for any artists who will be interested in joining us. So where hoping that we can add in maps for scenario adventures. Also because sometimes you need pictures to go along walls of text just to mix things up a notch.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the project is currently on Google Docs so if you want to join you need a Google account so I can invite you in, you can PM me your account here on KYM.

Last edited Mar 10, 2014 at 02:28PM EDT

Penny wrote:

The story line will be linear or non-linear?

For the most part where still making the story and setting of the game, we even have a few adventure scenarios plan out but for the most part we want the players to use the setting as a backdrop to make your own stories and adventures in the Omega Grey world.

CrowTheMagician wrote:

For the most part where still making the story and setting of the game, we even have a few adventure scenarios plan out but for the most part we want the players to use the setting as a backdrop to make your own stories and adventures in the Omega Grey world.

So as far as I can understand it, you say the this game will be a non-linear main and side quested [citiation needed] game where the story will be told when you are not in quest or as breifing for quests, right? (Sorry, trying to get more info to can help)

Last edited Mar 10, 2014 at 03:08PM EDT

Holy shit dude, we have similar ideas. Right now I'm working on an RPG too, but I'm trying to branch the story a bit more. Maybe we could give each other suggestions.

Penny wrote:

So as far as I can understand it, you say the this game will be a non-linear main and side quested [citiation needed] game where the story will be told when you are not in quest or as breifing for quests, right? (Sorry, trying to get more info to can help)

That's okay if you need more info about the game but like I said it's not a video game RPG it's more of the old Tabletop like ones. The ones where you read a book or PDF file about the rules, settings, and mechanics of the game. Maybe this would help you on how the game will look.

Trollanort wrote:

Holy shit dude, we have similar ideas. Right now I'm working on an RPG too, but I'm trying to branch the story a bit more. Maybe we could give each other suggestions.

Really? What's your idea and I'll see if I can help you out.

Last edited Mar 10, 2014 at 03:20PM EDT

Okay, my RPG is one where a bunch of teens end up being taken prisoners to a giant Planet called Terras, where apparently Earth was its moon, but drifted off to the far reaches of the cosmos thanks to a huge incident. At this point, the characters realize that this planet was actually where humanity had truly started, they had just colonized Earth and lost the technology. Terras is a highly technologically advanced planet, with machinery capable of traveling at the speed of 3 parsecs a minute. Another shock is the fact that humans here have special abilities thanks to advancements in technology and overall the souls of humans containing this power. Terras-enhanced humans are capable to withstanding much more than a normal human, such as taking a gun shot to the head and dismissing it as a flesh wound, or surviving a fall from the Eiffel Tower and leaving with only a few bruises.
On to the story. With their home planet nowhere in sight, the teens uncover a plot to utterly devastate not only Terras, but Earth too involving many nukes and a freak with a god complex. Knowing that not only did they accidentally use the highest possible standard tech to severely bolster their abilities, they join a resistance against the SAVIOR Corps, the rogue PMC agency planning to wipe out the planets. As the plot thickens, they learn that the freak with a god complex, calling himself Fate (As he plans to control the destinies of every last person on Earth), was planning on absorbing the twelve gods inhabiting Terras and using their abilities to fully conquer both planets. The teens need to kill Fate and put an end to the SAVIOR Corps before Terras is turned into a forever-warring wasteland and Earth is completely annihilated, all while they themselves try to come to terms with their own problems.
I know, its kinda stupid, but hey.

Last edited Mar 10, 2014 at 06:31PM EDT

Trollanort wrote:

Okay, my RPG is one where a bunch of teens end up being taken prisoners to a giant Planet called Terras, where apparently Earth was its moon, but drifted off to the far reaches of the cosmos thanks to a huge incident. At this point, the characters realize that this planet was actually where humanity had truly started, they had just colonized Earth and lost the technology. Terras is a highly technologically advanced planet, with machinery capable of traveling at the speed of 3 parsecs a minute. Another shock is the fact that humans here have special abilities thanks to advancements in technology and overall the souls of humans containing this power. Terras-enhanced humans are capable to withstanding much more than a normal human, such as taking a gun shot to the head and dismissing it as a flesh wound, or surviving a fall from the Eiffel Tower and leaving with only a few bruises.
On to the story. With their home planet nowhere in sight, the teens uncover a plot to utterly devastate not only Terras, but Earth too involving many nukes and a freak with a god complex. Knowing that not only did they accidentally use the highest possible standard tech to severely bolster their abilities, they join a resistance against the SAVIOR Corps, the rogue PMC agency planning to wipe out the planets. As the plot thickens, they learn that the freak with a god complex, calling himself Fate (As he plans to control the destinies of every last person on Earth), was planning on absorbing the twelve gods inhabiting Terras and using their abilities to fully conquer both planets. The teens need to kill Fate and put an end to the SAVIOR Corps before Terras is turned into a forever-warring wasteland and Earth is completely annihilated, all while they themselves try to come to terms with their own problems.
I know, its kinda stupid, but hey.

I wasn't expecting this but for what I can say about it is that while it needs some fleshing out it's okay. I don't how I can help with the project but I can try to help out in where I can. Btw is this one a Tabletop one or a video game one?

CrowTheMagician wrote:

I wasn't expecting this but for what I can say about it is that while it needs some fleshing out it's okay. I don't how I can help with the project but I can try to help out in where I can. Btw is this one a Tabletop one or a video game one?

Firstly, fleshing out the story was my bigger issue. I can message you the rest of the details, but another thorn in my side is how it should be. I have the software to make it either an animation or a video game. Now I'm trying to decide which.

Trollanort wrote:

Firstly, fleshing out the story was my bigger issue. I can message you the rest of the details, but another thorn in my side is how it should be. I have the software to make it either an animation or a video game. Now I'm trying to decide which.

I wouldn't mind knowing more about this project of yours. As for which one it should be I suggest you sleep on that one for now and see if the answer comes to you by the morning or dawn or whatever time you wake up from. But I still want to know are you interested on joining this one? Also do you be any chance know of any good artists as well?

CrowTheMagician wrote:

I wouldn't mind knowing more about this project of yours. As for which one it should be I suggest you sleep on that one for now and see if the answer comes to you by the morning or dawn or whatever time you wake up from. But I still want to know are you interested on joining this one? Also do you be any chance know of any good artists as well?

Your project sounds very interesting, but I don't know how I could help outside give suggestions. Perhaps i could make music, after I learn how to use FL Studio, that is. And in all honesty, no, I do not know any exactly bloody amazing artists, only a few people that can sketch here and there, and even then I doubt it'd be what you're looking for.

Trollanort wrote:

Your project sounds very interesting, but I don't know how I could help outside give suggestions. Perhaps i could make music, after I learn how to use FL Studio, that is. And in all honesty, no, I do not know any exactly bloody amazing artists, only a few people that can sketch here and there, and even then I doubt it'd be what you're looking for.

I would like to see their sketches first before I can judge them and right now the project is in it's infancy and we're just making the setting before we can make the game mechanics yet (we want to make sure that they will fit with the setting of the game) but I'm willing to let you take a look inside the board and see if your ideas can help us out in anyway. Now I'm not saying your in yet, you have to decide on if you want to join in or not.

jace is a boss wrote:

maybe include something about a taping style like the brier witch project

Sorry Jace but we're not going for a Blair Witch Project style here. Though you did remind me on the short lived idea of making Omega Grey into a Alternate Reality Game. Again, the idea was short lived and it ultimately stayed as the RPG it is trying to be.

I kind of liked this creative style or, partake of the RPG games. It'd be kind of cool if you take note, regular text based adventures with little to no visuals is, to but it bluntly, lame.

Supernatural or pre-existing horror tellings or retellings isn't my slice of pie, yet if something that is cool like this example, it would be really fun to roam around in. Not only that, I think that it would be pretty eye-pleasing to those willing to join.

Edit: Considering this IS going to be hosted here in JFF. (Why not if not)?

Last edited Mar 10, 2014 at 11:00PM EDT

Cronus wrote:

I kind of liked this creative style or, partake of the RPG games. It'd be kind of cool if you take note, regular text based adventures with little to no visuals is, to but it bluntly, lame.

Supernatural or pre-existing horror tellings or retellings isn't my slice of pie, yet if something that is cool like this example, it would be really fun to roam around in. Not only that, I think that it would be pretty eye-pleasing to those willing to join.

Edit: Considering this IS going to be hosted here in JFF. (Why not if not)?

Thanks for showing me this Weasel and don't worry about this being a wall of text with no visuals to please the players eye, along with looking for creative thinkers for the games setting we are also looking for artists who can draw the Omega Grey world to life, but if the search for a willing artists turns out to be as impossible as searching for the holy grail then we may use this style for our game. Actually I have it planned for it to appear here on the JFF first once the project is complete, as for any other sites we'll cross that bridge once we get there but for now KYM will be the one to get it first once we decide that it is ready to be unveiled to the public.

Last edited Mar 10, 2014 at 11:53PM EDT

Well this one hasn't seen an update for a while now so let's make an announcement! I would like to introduce two new members of the Omega Grey project!

Our first new member is Muumi, one of KYM's community Artists. He'll be both our artist for the project and as an adviser to all future ideas to the project.

And our second new member is Emerson Grey, who was a surprising one since he was recruited on the same day as Muumi.

Hello KYM, normally this board is about the modern supernatural horror and conspiracy RPG Omega Grey but for this update things are going to be a bit different. You see half the members of Omega Grey are also members of another project, Clash of the Users, a fighter game set in the alternate world in which it's essentially the Internet. Well the team of that project are looking people who have experience in fighting game mechanics, especially air dasher like Guilty Gear and Melty Blood. If your interested and have said knowledge then send a PM to the user.

SmackerJack TITANOMACHIA, and he'll transfer you to the board in where the project is being made.

Indeed i like this idea, mein freund.
i have some ideas:

1: there should be a system in which the player can select the missions, depending on the missions he chooses, the enviorement changes.

2: the levels should be a semi-open world, were there are collectionables, secret encounters, tresures, and special enemies.

3: The agency base, were you can get supplies, select missions, and doing other stuff.

So, what do you think about this pal?.

I have some ideas for your game (mostly features):
-crafting items
-information/artifact books of said artifacts
-small cameos of any KYM users
-mini-games
-secrets/easter eggs
-and currency (gold, cash)

Hope these ideas help. I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!