Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,714 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

I just got a Droid 2.

Last posted Dec 14, 2010 at 07:08AM EST. Added Dec 13, 2010 at 03:31PM EST
20 posts from 15 users

Seriously nothing I hate more than cell phone nerds, sure cell phones are handy, but cost efficiency is a thing to consider as well.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

Seriously nothing I hate more than cell phone nerds, sure cell phones are handy, but cost efficiency is a thing to consider as well.

I wanted a phone to call people.

Then I wanted internet on the go, so the smartphone was a better option than carrying a laptop around.

Time to root, install a custom ROM and kernel, then overclock it until it catches fire, amirite? Also, you might want to look here before attempting to root or install a custom recovery image/ROM/kernel. If you aren't careful it could brick your phone.

So how is it so far? Enjoying Android?

Snarb wrote:

Time to root, install a custom ROM and kernel, then overclock it until it catches fire, amirite? Also, you might want to look here before attempting to root or install a custom recovery image/ROM/kernel. If you aren't careful it could brick your phone.

So how is it so far? Enjoying Android?

Yeah, it's pretty nice.

I don't plan on hacking it, though.

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty nice.

I don't plan on hacking it, though.

Oh, but they're so much better when you have root access. You can do all kinds of awesome stuff with it. Personally, I like to use mine as a WiFi hotspot for my laptop without paying the extra $20/month fee. I don't use the feature enough to justify the extra cost, so it makes sense.
Another benefit is that you can install custom ROMs. My phone used to have average benchmark scores, now it averages higher than any phone currently in production that's running stock. It also has a bunch of new features that I've added.

Though if you aren't prepared to sink a few hours into maintenance every once in a while, I'd stick with stock. You'll still be able to do most things without too much trouble and the phone will perform well.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!