Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Meme copyright

Last posted Oct 04, 2011 at 11:55PM EDT. Added Sep 28, 2011 at 07:49AM EDT
7 posts from 5 users

If you're making it for yourself, probably not--and if you are, probably nobody would notice or care.

As for selling them, it depends. Does the artwork include copyrighted material, or is it in the public domain? For example, the guy who shot the original photo of the owl that eventually became ORLY owl likes to keep a strong hold on his copyright of the original photo. So don't print that on a shirt and sell it. Similarly, you can't just take somebody else's drawing or photo of an owl and re-print that without securing reproduction rights. But, that doesn't mean that you can't draw or otherwise represent the ORLY owl with your own artwork, since nobody and everybody owns the idea and catchphrase.

On the other hand, you could probably make a t-shirt with the original Rage guy face on it (or probably any of the others), since ownership of the Rage face is everybody's and nobody's.

If you're looking to make money, do take care to look into the licensing of any artwork that you decide to use. If it's just for personal use, chances are that it's much less of an issue.

Last edited Sep 28, 2011 at 08:35AM EDT

Thanks. Very helpful.

The meme uses an original photo that I don't know the origin of (nor do I know whether the author of that particular incarnation was the copyright owner of the original photo). I guess that means I can't sell. More awesomeness for me then.

How does fair use relate to T-Shirts? Is it the same as internet parodies and criticism?

Last edited Sep 30, 2011 at 12:42AM EDT

You should be okay, if you're the only one with the shirt… As long as you don't pull a Hot Topic and start mass selling t shirts. Anonymous would throw another fit lol

Last edited Oct 04, 2011 at 11:56PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!